Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 PM

10 posts, read 23,978 times

Advertisements

For families, I would recommend the Ricefields neighborhood in Pawleys. It's on the river, right near Litchfield, and has a lot of children and young families. Every Halloween, Ricefields is the place to go for trick-or-treating. Families from all over Pawleys Island and even surrounding areas will drive their kids in because it's so family-centric. In fact, Halloween got so crowded that the last two years they had to block the neighborhood off to outside traffic and only allow walk-ins. People still lined up down the road to walk their kids in. I also second PawleysDude - Waverly Mills is ridiculously beautiful. Ricefields and Waverly Mills are very near each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 10:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
Most of the gated communities (Reserve, Willbrook, Heritage, Pawleys Plantaion, DeBordieu) are more geared for older retirees. There are some families living in there but you will find more families with school aged children in Ricefields, Hagley, Pawleys Retreat, and even Lower Waverly (aka Waverly Mills).

Schools - we have one who has graduated & one in HS now. We have been happy with them. They were in Catholic school in NY, so we have saved ourselves a bunch of money and the schools have more to offer, in my opinion. Elementary & HS are in the same area & the middle school & intermediate school are in Litchfield next to each other. One complaint is that the school bus system is weak. It is available but the pick up for my daughter for the middle school was at 6:50 am for a 7:55 start & it was just as long in the afternoon.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 11,043 times
dzon, Love Jamesport, NY. We are relocating from Williston Park, NY North shore. I've heard great things about PI...but never find any new updates since 2013.. Did you ever move..if so where did you that home feeling. My husband and I are in our early 50/60's I'm not a fan of gated communities. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times
this thread may be older, but there have been many relocation threads since this was last used.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times
Sorry, I somehow sent before I was done.... :}

The information here is still valid, its still largely a retirement-aged community. Waverly is a wonderful neighborhood, as PD mentioned, and un-gated. Don't know what you want to know particularly, but living in a vacation area is VERY different than visiting a vacation area- also as PD mentioned. We are experiencing rapid, and not necessarily wanted , growth down here and to me the people making the decisions may need some reality check as to what "the people" really want.
Coming from NY, if you haven't experienced the South before, you will be in for some culture shock. If you are really considering a move to this area you should come several times, at different times of year, for no less than a week at each visit; longer would be better. The lifestyle is infinitely different from the northeast and I have met many folks who regret their decision when they actually 'have to' stay.
I would peruse some of the other relocation threads and see that input, and then consider a long visit to see for yourself.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpluchinoLINEast View Post
dzon, Love Jamesport, NY. We are relocating from Williston Park, NY North shore. I've heard great things about PI...but never find any new updates since 2013.. Did you ever move..if so where did you that home feeling. My husband and I are in our early 50/60's I'm not a fan of gated communities. Any insight would be much appreciated.

That's my old stomping grounds for 36+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area