Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,203 times

Advertisements

My family and I plan to move to the Pawleys Island area in about a year. I have vacationed in the area for many many years but I am not as familiar with the residential neighborhoods. We have a 2 year old son and plan to grow our family. I am a native South Carolinian so I know the names and locations of the neighborhoods but not what they are really like. Our budget is up to $600k and we are debating on whether to build or buy.

I am most familiar with the Reserve and DeBordieu. However, I am concerned about there not being enough young couples/families/children in the Reserve but we like the location of the Reserve. My husband is concerned about how far DeBordieu is away from everything but I feel like there may be more family oriented activities in DeBordieu. I've also heard about the assessments in DeBordieu so this concerns me a bit as well.

Would love thoughts from the forum on neighborhoods in the area and any info on the Reserve and DeBordieu. Also, should we build or buy? Any input there??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Heritage & Pawleys Plantation are 2 beautiful places. Not sure of demographics though.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Hey - I'm also a SC native who vacationed here for many years before relocating to PI about 15 years ago. Since you didn't ask, I'll refrain from offering my opinion on moving to Pawleys, but just keep in mind that living here is much, much (much, much) different than vacationing here for a week, or even a month, every summer. The area is primarily a retirement mecca, and while you'll find many young families scattered throughout every community, you're likely to be in the minority, relative to us old folk, regardless of which neighborhood you choose. That doesn't seem to bother the families with kids we know in our community.

If I could choose any PI neighborhood, it would be Waverly Mills, an established, mature, upscale ungated community. Large lots, beautiful live oaks, with many of the homes on the water. Their HOA has managed to avoid the harrassing, obsessive, power-hungry attitudes that pervade most of this area, with most of the residents relaxed and happy, perfectly willing to enjoy a little individuality in things like their mailboxes, and yes, even a boat parked in the yard. Those types of attitudes are awfully hard to find in residential PI. It's one of the very few places down here that still look and feel like the old coastal SC. I'm not sure $600k can get you in that area, but IMO it's worth looking.

Build or buy? I cannot imagine how anyone can answer that for you. Do you want to move right in and get on with life, adapting to a home that might not quite meet your entire wish list? Or would you rather go thru the hassle of dealing with a builder and the time delay involved, to get a house customized to your wants/needs? For me, that would be an easy choice. You've gotta decide that one on your own. Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,203 times
PawleysDude - thank you for your reply! I have not heard of Waverly Mills. So what is your opinion of moving to Pawleys? I didn't mention in my original post that my husband and I actually lived there for almost a year 3 years ago (we rented in the Reserve) but after our son was born we moved back to Columbia to be closer to my family. My husband loves Pawleys Island area. He actually loves the Litchfield mainland the most. His best friend from childhood is a realtor there. I see pros and cons with living in Pawleys but there are pros and cons with living anywhere and currently we live in downtown Columbia and don't feel it's the best place to raise kids. I want to make sure we keep an open mind about all the areas in Pawleys/Litchfield and look at all areas before we commit. We will probably rent for a year before we buy or build.

I grew up in Columbia and lived in the same house my whole life with tons of kids around the neighborhood to play with and grow up with. So it is important to me that my son have other kids to play with close by. I know there are a lot of retirees in the area but I would like to find a place with a nice mix of young families as well and amenities like a pool.

SC here I come - I am going to look at Heritage and pawleys plantation as well - I am not as familiar with those.

Thanks!! Any other advice or input is welcome

Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 26,294 times
Default move?

I was wondering if you and your family made a decision to move into the Pauley area? I am in the same situation as you. My family and are want to move from NY to The Reserve on Pauley's Island? You mentioned you lived in the Reserve. Is it family friendly?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Where to move?

Is there any one that may advise my family and I. We want to know if the Reserve is family friendly to raise a family?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:15 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Dzorn... What part of ny are u escaping,, I mean leaving from?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 AM

Default best kid friendly neigborhood?

My family and I are looking for the best place to raise a teenage daughter and an 8 year old daughter? We are looking in Pawley Island area. We are hoping to live in a young community with a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Is there anyone who can recommend a good family friendly place? We have been looking in The Reserve and North Litchfield Beach areas but I'm not too sure they are kid friendly?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 AM

We are leaving Jamesport NY on the very east end of the North Fork.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
You really need to come down and see the area in person. Suggest that you make a trip during the winter and during the spring/summer to get a feel for the differences in livelihood at those times of the year. You're looking at a huge difference in lifestyle and with children of those ages you'll want to be particular....take it from a person who's moved around more than a dozen times in the course of a lifetime so far.
The Reserve is going to be more aged adults than children; NLB seems to have more children, but haven't spent much time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area