Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times

Advertisements

I've read about their past issues and I was wondering if they've been resolved. I am interested in applying for a law enforcement position with the Town - it seems like the kind of area where you can get a ton of experience and really feel fulfilled with the job that you do. They have a new Chief, as of 2014, who seems to really be in control of the department and who looks to be making a real positive difference. I just don't want to apply, get the job, transfer to SC, only to have the Town disband the PD again.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I also want to be able to be proactive and interact with the community. Thank you, enjoy your week, everyone.

-TF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM

790 posts, read 1,622,232 times
When we moved to the Grand Strand 5 years ago, the town of AB was an ongoing soap opera/joke...the mayor and council were at odds with each other, the town manager, the police chief and everyone in town it seemed. Town officials were suing the town and winning the suits which was draining the town's funds. Every week it was a different person being arrested or fired. Someone changed the locks on the city office building but didn't give anyone a key....lots of shenanigans.

Then, a couple of years ago, a new mayor and council won a very contested election...so contested it ended up in the state supreme court who ruled and told the town they didn't want to see them come back again...LOL. Anyway, the new mayor/council seem to be more stable and seldom is anything in the paper regarding issues with the town. The same administration just won a recent re-election so I'm assume things will be stable for the time being.

With that said, I can't for the life of me see why the town needs a police force for the 400 people who live in the 8 square block size of the town. But, they are willing to fund it so I guess they feel that they need it. By the way, the new police chief is new in every sense of the word...never been a police chief before.

Good luck with the process if you apply.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
When we moved to the Grand Strand 5 years ago, the town of AB was an ongoing soap opera/joke...the mayor and council were at odds with each other, the town manager, the police chief and everyone in town it seemed. Town officials were suing the town and winning the suits which was draining the town's funds. Every week it was a different person being arrested or fired. Someone changed the locks on the city office building but didn't give anyone a key....lots of shenanigans.

Then, a couple of years ago, a new mayor and council won a very contested election...so contested it ended up in the state supreme court who ruled and told the town they didn't want to see them come back again...LOL. Anyway, the new mayor/council seem to be more stable and seldom is anything in the paper regarding issues with the town. The same administration just won a recent re-election so I'm assume things will be stable for the time being.

With that said, I can't for the life of me see why the town needs a police force for the 400 people who live in the 8 square block size of the town. But, they are willing to fund it so I guess they feel that they need it. By the way, the new police chief is new in every sense of the word...never been a police chief before.

Good luck with the process if you apply.
To tell you the truth, that's one of the reasons I'm attracted to the Town. In a smaller agency, you can interact with the community on a more personal level. People get to know you. In the bigger areas, you're just a warm body to fill a patrol car.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:41 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
With that said, I can't for the life of me see why the town needs a police force for the 400 people who live in the 8 square block size of the town. But, they are willing to fund it so I guess they feel that they need it.
Isn't Atlantic Beach the town which sponsors the Black Bike Week? When the killings happened, the mayor said it was Myrtle Beach's problem.

I wish the OP luck and hope he can help.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Isn't Atlantic Beach the town which sponsors the Black Bike Week? When the killings happened, the mayor said it was Myrtle Beach's problem.

I wish the OP luck and hope he can help.
From what i read, it happened in Myrtle Beach, nearly 15 miles away from AB. Were the victims suspects in town for Bike Week? Possibly. Either way, thanks for the well-wishes. Enjoy your week.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:33 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
From what i read, it happened in Myrtle Beach, nearly 15 miles away from AB. Were the victims suspects in town for Bike Week? Possibly. Either way, thanks for the well-wishes. Enjoy your week.
Yes, it happened in MB, which in truth made it their problem. The perps were not bikers and were never linked to Bike Week except by the media and the locals who love to hate Black Bike Week and blame it for everything bad that happens around here. It was a drug deal gone bad and some of the customers may have been bikers, but similar drug deals go on in MB and every other city in the US every day.

About 10 years ago, I held out hope that AB could get their act together and become a truly unique part of this area's heritage. The situation just kept getting worse and I finally gave up on 'em. As CTY said, it's actually looking a little better, and maybe I gave up too soon. At this point, I still believe a merge with North Myrtle Beach would be a best-case scenario. Property values would at least double overnight, and municipal services would be far better. In your case, that would not be all bad. I feel sure NMB would protect AB employees, and NMB would be a good employer.

Like most job moves, AB would be a risk. If you decide to make it, best of luck to you.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Yes, it happened in MB, which in truth made it their problem. The perps were not bikers and were never linked to Bike Week except by the media and the locals who love to hate Black Bike Week and blame it for everything bad that happens around here. It was a drug deal gone bad and some of the customers may have been bikers, but similar drug deals go on in MB and every other city in the US every day.

About 10 years ago, I held out hope that AB could get their act together and become a truly unique part of this area's heritage. The situation just kept getting worse and I finally gave up on 'em. As CTY said, it's actually looking a little better, and maybe I gave up too soon. At this point, I still believe a merge with North Myrtle Beach would be a best-case scenario. Property values would at least double overnight, and municipal services would be far better. In your case, that would not be all bad. I feel sure NMB would protect AB employees, and NMB would be a good employer.

Like most job moves, AB would be a risk. If you decide to make it, best of luck to you.
Thanks for the info and well wishes! Enjoy your week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area