Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 5,489 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am looking at moving to the MB area. I am fortunate that I can work remote so employment and commuting will not be a consideration. I am currently focused on Muriel's inlet and Little River, North myrtle is also a possibility. How bicycle friendly are these areas? Little River is a short enough ride but will I be able to safely ride to NB beaches or will the swinging bridge road be dangerous?
All comments and suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 08:50 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
Others may disagree but there are few places in the Grand Strand that are really bike friendly. I, myself, would not want to try and ride a bike from Little River to the beach. Depending on where in MI you are looking, it might be a little more bike-friendly but there are few designated bike lanes anywhere.

Before deciding what to do, you should spend a week here exploring the areas that you are interested in and observe traffic and potential biking in that traffic.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
While there are plenty of places to ride for pleasure, riding to a specific destination is more difficult. Try mapping it out on google and see where it sends you.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:08 AM

Thak you both for you input. I had a feeling this was the case and was hoping I was missing something. Parking is obviously brutal as well, was hoping I was missing something. MI and Huntington State Park might be a better beach option or NB in walking distance.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
You will NOT want to be riding a bike on Rt. 17...especially, in the "season"...too many "out of towners" who have NO idea where they're going or what they're doing....driving a car can be a nightmare, but a bike....that's lunacy!!

Old 03-05-2017, 09:05 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
Gregg,
this area is definitely not for the biking public, though there is a group called "Bike the Neck" I believe which is working on the creation of a bike trail through this area. Currently, there is a trail several miles long between Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island, and it does pass the entrance to Huntington Beach SP, but the designated trail ends about a mile north of there . There is a plan for this project that I believe is viewable on line at Biketheneck.org, of something similar. ( I just saw a brochure but can't recall the web address for the project) and if that doesn't help try searching the archive of the Coastal Observer for related articles.
having lived in Oregon and Indiana , where biking is a popular form of transport, I can tell you that road-riding here is really not supported. If you are considering the "bikability" to be a significant consideration in your move, then Murrells Inlet may be your better choice simply because the trail system is started, though infant, and will be growing.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the input busydesk. The bike the neck no is very helpful, looks like it will be helpful to at lest get to a beach without the car. Also looks like a great starting point to go on some longer recreational rides way from the mayhem. I think Murrells will be a better option with this and the kayaking options.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:31 PM

161 posts, read 237,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggMB View Post
Thank you for the input busydesk. The bike the neck no is very helpful, looks like it will be helpful to at lest get to a beach without the car. Also looks like a great starting point to go on some longer recreational rides way from the mayhem. I think Murrells will be a better option with this and the kayaking options.
We have a season pass for Huntington Beach State Park and is where we go when we want to spend time on the beach.
Also, we just got bicycles and have found that the trail that passes between Murrells Inlet and North Litchfield are very nice. We haven't riden the entire length as yet, just portions going both north and south of HBSP. Riding around HBSP itself is nice as well. Having said that, we bike mostly in our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area