Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times

Advertisements

Most food items (at least that I buy), wine, beer and spirits are much cheaper than Fl or NJ. Example: Last week a dozen eggs at Walmart in SC 47 cents and bags of salad greens 94 cents. This week back in NJ eggs at shoprite $1.45 and bags of salad greens $2.00. Liberty Creek table wine (1.75 L) $6 something in SC, $8 here in NJ. Case of Bud Lite $14 at the SC Walmart, At least $18 in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Born and raised in Myrtle Beach living in South Florida.

I'd never move back because I love Fort Lauderdale so much but this is what I've always loved about it.

Small town vibe, the people (my family is still all there), food (southern food is the best), nature (the beach, parks, Huntington Beach and Myrtle Beach State Parks, Brookgreen Gardens, etc), golf, spring, summer, and fall, sunsets, college football season, just so much to love about it.

The downsides are medical and shopping. In order to do any good shopping, you need to either head to Charleston or Charlotte. For excellent medical care, Pawleys Island doctors who are affiliated with MUSC. My childhood BFFs family had to endow a chair at MUSC for her dad's excellent medical care. And before anyone slams me about this, I know and grew up with many of the current MDs in Myrtle Beach and love them all.

Another downside is if you aren't born and raised there, like most other small towns, you will always be an outsider. However like another poster said, 28 of their northern friends moved to MB so they have built in friendships.

YMMV.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:45 PM

99 posts, read 141,529 times
Years ago I was told that a lot of the southerners in SC hate the yankees. I've lived in MB for almost a year in a neighborhood of 110 homes and it has been rare for me to find a native, anywhere in MB. Most of the people that I've seen are transplants. The natives that I've met are really friendly and I know that they are hearing my Boston accent. Most of the people in my neighborhood are from PA. Love living here, the only thing that I hate is the very fast driving and it took awhile to getting used to driving around here where most roads don't give you a left turn arrow to go onto a busy street.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY12 View Post
Years ago I was told that a lot of the southerners in SC hate the yankees. I've lived in MB for almost a year in a neighborhood of 110 homes and it has been rare for me to find a native, anywhere in MB. Most of the people that I've seen are transplants. The natives that I've met are really friendly and I know that they are hearing my Boston accent. Most of the people in my neighborhood are from PA. Love living here, the only thing that I hate is the very fast driving and it took awhile to getting used to driving around here where most roads don't give you a left turn arrow to go onto a busy street.
That is complete nonsense that southerners hate yankees no more than yankees hate southerners. It just doesn't make sense. And of course you aren't the first person to say it and my comment isn't directed at you but in general.

What southerners dislike is the "how we do it up north is so much better" conversations.

Locals live in Pine Lakes, Dunes Club/Cove, Murrells Inlet, Myrtle Heights, and some other areas. They generally don't live in Carolina Forest. We stay in the areas we grew up in.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 AM

161 posts, read 237,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
That is complete nonsense that southerners hate yankees no more than yankees hate southerners. It just doesn't make sense. And of course you aren't the first person to say it and my comment isn't directed at you but in general.

What southerners dislike is the "how we do it up north is so much better" conversations.

Locals live in Pine Lakes, Dunes Club/Cove, Murrells Inlet, Myrtle Heights, and some other areas. They generally don't live in Carolina Forest. We stay in the areas we grew up in.
Being a transplant I tend to agree that the attitude of us northerners can put people off down here.

I've only had one bad experience (and I made the mistake of saying what would,happen up north) and that was at the Murrells Inlet USPS. I had a a small box to mail and ran out of packing tape. Needing about six inches of take I asked the clerk if she could tape it for me. Her response wa "no, but you can buy a roll of tape right here ($3.49)". My mistake was that the USPS where we lived in NY would have taped it with no hesitation. Then the smack down "you're not in NY" as if I didn't know that. The only time I've said to myself, so much for southern hospitality.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:43 PM

231 posts, read 156,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Born and raised in Myrtle Beach living in South Florida.

I'd never move back because I love Fort Lauderdale so much but this is what I've always loved about it.

Small town vibe, the people (my family is still all there), food (southern food is the best), nature (the beach, parks, Huntington Beach and Myrtle Beach State Parks, Brookgreen Gardens, etc), golf, spring, summer, and fall, sunsets, college football season, just so much to love about it.

The downsides are medical and shopping. In order to do any good shopping, you need to either head to Charleston or Charlotte. For excellent medical care, Pawleys Island doctors who are affiliated with MUSC. My childhood BFFs family had to endow a chair at MUSC for her dad's excellent medical care. And before anyone slams me about this, I know and grew up with many of the current MDs in Myrtle Beach and love them all.

Another downside is if you aren't born and raised there, like most other small towns, you will always be an outsider. However like another poster said, 28 of their northern friends moved to MB so they have built in friendships.

YMMV.
I have lived in both Florida and Myrtle Beach and can honestly say Myrtle Beach is much better then the two locations we have lived in Florida.

As far as people, Myrtle Beach wins hands down. People in Florida have a very aggressive, selfish personality in most cases which I did not see in Myrtle Beach.

Far more to do overall in Florida but has no sense of community here in Florida unless you are retirement community.

Housing. Much more affordable in Myrtle Beach by a long shot. Comparing we looked at a 4 Bdr 3 bath home in central Florida that is 5 years old. Priced at 299k and taxes of 3800.00 x 2 per year. Same type and size house in MB, 225k and taxes of 1800 x 2 per year.

Crime. I have witnessed multiple crimes while living in Florida for 7 years, never witnessed a single crime in MB while living there and making more then 100 trips from up north to MB for vacation.

Now to medical. I agree on one thing with Blueherons, the medical in MB is not bad but not state of the art and lack of doctors is an issue. I do not know why MB does not attract good doctors as the growth in the MB is going out the roof. Then again most doctors here in Florida are from outside of the US.

I recently had a discussion with a former neighbor from Myrtle Beach. They both accepted very good paying jobs at Disney World and lived in Celebration, Florida for 2 years. They decided it was not the place to raise their kids and moved back to Myrtle Beach and live in the Dunes area and tell me they wish they had not sold their original home and stayed in MB. Sometimes a higher paying job is not worth it.

To each its own, having lived in both Florida and Myrtle Beach and being from up north we are looking at moving back to Myrtle Beach in the near future.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:14 PM

26,216 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Mark, thanks for a good posting.

Does anyone have any advice on a gated community called The Bluffs on the Waterway, built by Beach Home Builders? Some nice looking home in there....

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM

214 posts, read 261,132 times
Default The Bluffs

try this for starters - https://www.century21boling.com/sear...short_sale=all

Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM

26,216 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Some very nice homes in there, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM

231 posts, read 156,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mark, thanks for a good posting.

Does anyone have any advice on a gated community called The Bluffs on the Waterway, built by Beach Home Builders? Some nice looking home in there....

Thank you.

Very welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area