Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:53 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times

Advertisements

There are alligators everywhere in the South! They go where they want to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdecamp View Post
We are fine here in Cypress River Plantation. May get some flooding just outside our neighborhood gates but should be ok in here. In fact Coast Guard and Army Corp of Engineers are both using out boat landing and some area in here because we are highest spot in the area. Who knows though but we look good....so far!
Hope all is well gdecamp. How did you guys make out with the flooding? We are interested in knowing how the neighborhood made out with the flooding from the river.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:32 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
There are portions of the river that do not flood. But they will probably be more of a premium after the last month. I grew up on the Waccamaw- my parents lived on it when I was born and built a new house next door when I was 7 or 8- and there have been 3 floods in the past 20 years that surpassed anything that was seen or expected. The floods following Floyd in 99, after Mathew a few years ago and after Florence where all 100 year floods- within 19 years...

I'm waiting to hear if my childhood homes flooded (my mom sold 3 years ago) but they had previously not because the houses were on stilts and also on lots at a decent elevation. Someone else mentioned a typical scenario- the house being fine but the road itself flooding. My parents' lot was at the end of a road where the low point was actually at about 2/3 of the length of the road. There were really only 4 times when we/they actually moved out of the house. Only two of those- Floyd and Matthew appeared to put the house in any danger. The real threat was traveling through flood water.

At the present moment there are entire neighborhoods in Conway that are disaster areas and many are nowhere near the river- they just sit on lower lying land or near swamps creeks. The three Conway neighborhoods where I have never heard of flooding are Cox Ferry, Keysfield and Steep Landing Road. Until last week Chelsea Lakes would have been on the list but I know of a house at the rear that had a couple of inches of water in it with this flood. I'd also be interested in hearing how Wild Horse fared.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:27 PM

120 posts, read 226,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Hope all is well gdecamp. How did you guys make out with the flooding? We are interested in knowing how the neighborhood made out with the flooding from the river.
We had zero problems in our house. There were a some homes that backed the river who had water in their back yards and a couple of them (they look to have been built too low) that had some water in the basements only. Those basements were for storage from what I understand. I would say 98% of the neighborhood was absolutely fine.

The water went over the dock and over the walkway at the dock. That said, the coast guard used our dock because they said it was the only one between Conway and Georgetown that wasn't underwater and they could launch their boats. Also the Horry Police and the department of Natural Resources also used our dock.

All in all the place was as advertised, no flooding. This was a record perfect storm for a flood with the hurricane staying here for 3 DAYS and dumping 11 "trillion" gallons of water in NC & SC. To put it in perspective 11 trillion gallons of water is enough to give every single person in the United States over 250,000 bottles of drinking water. Think about how much water that is!

The chances of that happening again are very slim but hey anything is possible but very unlikely.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:18 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
...The chances of that happening again are very slim but hey anything is possible but very unlikely.
Interesting. Same thing was said in 2015 after the "thousand year" flood set new flooding records for a non-tropical system, then again in 2016 when Hurricane Matthew set new flooding records, only to be broken in 2018 by Florence. Rather than unlikely, perhaps it's the new norm? One thing sure, anybody who uses FEMA flood maps to decide whether or not to buy flood insurance just ain't paying attention.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Interesting. Same thing was said in 2015 after the "thousand year" flood set new flooding records for a non-tropical system, then again in 2016 when Hurricane Matthew set new flooding records, only to be broken in 2018 by Florence. Rather than unlikely, perhaps it's the new norm? One thing sure, anybody who uses FEMA flood maps to decide whether or not to buy flood insurance just ain't paying attention.
You never know! Flood insurance in a non flood area is not expensive and a good idea to have....you never know.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
You never know! Flood insurance in a non flood area is not expensive and a good idea to have....you never know.
Absolutely! We have it, even though we aren't in a flood zone. We weren't willing to take that risk of not being insured.

George, so glad you weren't hit by this recent disaster. So many people were, as you well know.

Hope to see you soon!

Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
We had zero problems in our house. There were a some homes that backed the river who had water in their back yards and a couple of them (they look to have been built too low) that had some water in the basements only. Those basements were for storage from what I understand. I would say 98% of the neighborhood was absolutely fine.

The water went over the dock and over the walkway at the dock. That said, the coast guard used our dock because they said it was the only one between Conway and Georgetown that wasn't underwater and they could launch their boats. Also the Horry Police and the department of Natural Resources also used our dock.

All in all the place was as advertised, no flooding. This was a record perfect storm for a flood with the hurricane staying here for 3 DAYS and dumping 11 "trillion" gallons of water in NC & SC. To put it in perspective 11 trillion gallons of water is enough to give every single person in the United States over 250,000 bottles of drinking water. Think about how much water that is!

The chances of that happening again are very slim but hey anything is possible but very unlikely.
Thank you for your response, and good luck to the unfortunate people rebuilding in the areas that were affected by Florence. We were flooded during Sandy and know hardship involved with repairing.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Except Palmetto bugs on the waterway. Imagine a huge roach that flies....

Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Except Palmetto bugs on the waterway. Imagine a huge roach that flies....
Oh those bugs are certainly not just on waterways. Fact is I've seen less of them here than where we rented while our house was being built.

Skeeters, yes but we treat for them and are fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area