Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,458 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I will be moving to Myrtle Beach from Miami at the beginning of August and am looking for advice on places to live. Let me start by saying that I'm originally from North Florida (Jacksonville Beach outskirts) and do not enjoy the Miami 'culture and lifestyle.' I'm mid-20's and single so I would like to be close to areas with a decent night-life and a generally younger crowd. Having been in Miami, I'm very averse to the tourist crowds and would like something with more of a local feel but still fun on a regular basis. I'd prefer to be within walking distance of the sand but that's not a complete necessity. My office is in Conway, so traffic is also a concern, but I think Miami traffic and MB traffic are probably incomparable; if I'm wrong please fill me in. I appreciate any advice I can get.

By the way, if there are any good Irish pubs in the area, that's a huge bonus.

-JR-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times
Personally, I would go towards Surfside or the new Market Common area in Myrtle Beach. The Market Common Myrtle Beach - Luxury Apartments - Stylish Shopping There's lots to do, not far from the beach and a nice park, shops, bars and restaurants. You could shoot up 544 coming from Surfside and miss most of the 501 traffic when going to work. Good luck.

By the way, I've been to Miami and IMO this area is nothing like that.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,299 times
To add to what Rapture said.. Depending on whether you'd plan to rent or buy.. there are some good deals to be found that would fall into your criteria..

As far as Irish Pubs go.. might want to try BlarneyStones out at Broadway at the Beach.. and then there's Pat & Mike's irish pub up in NMB on main street.

Never been to Miami.. but I think our traffic would pale in comparison... Besides, being on *this* side of the ICW, you'd be going against traffic when going to work anyway.. Coming home would be pretty much the same..

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
Unfortunately, traditional Irish Pubs are few & far between on the Grand Strand. Blarney Stones, although can be a decent party spot, is Irish in name only. Never been to Pat & Mike's but have heard that it's more like a sports bar... same with Jimmigan's & Murphy's Law. The only real Irish pub I've found is Flynn's on Main St in North Myrtle. It's pretty far from where I live but it is worth the trip when the O'Connor Trio plays.

If anyone is looking to open a business in the Pawleys Island area please consider Irish Pub.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,299 times
baylovers...
Thanks for correcting me.. It is FLYNN's on main street, not Pat & Mikes..

Personally, I wouldn't know what a traditional Irish pub looked like it it smacked me in the face.. so I had to go on name only..

Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
I have met two residents of SC with Irish brogue's since I have been here (nearly two years) one was Marty Flynn, proprietor of above mentioned libation establishment, and the other is the pastor of my local parish. Talk about filling stereotypes!

Anyway, both good people.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
baylovers...
Thanks for correcting me.. It is FLYNN's on main street, not Pat & Mikes..

Personally, I wouldn't know what a traditional Irish pub looked like it it smacked me in the face.. so I had to go on name only..
Flynns is quite interesting and we liked going there alot........ To the poster............
You'll enjoy heading to Broadway at the Beach for nightlife and fun.
All kinds of restaurants. A great night is to go to the dueling pianos!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
To add to what Rapture said.. Depending on whether you'd plan to rent or buy.. there are some good deals to be found that would fall into your criteria..

As far as Irish Pubs go.. might want to try BlarneyStones out at Broadway at the Beach.. and then there's Pat & Mike's irish pub up in NMB on main street.

Never been to Miami.. but I think our traffic would pale in comparison... Besides, being on *this* side of the ICW, you'd be going against traffic when going to work anyway.. Coming home would be pretty much the same..
Isn't their a Pub by Kroeger in Carolina Forest?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,634 times
The pub by Kroger's is Hannley's, not sure if I spelled that right.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM

32 posts, read 74,811 times
Handley's is an English pub, not sure if this makes a difference to the OP or not. It does seem to have good reviews though.

Handley's Pub and Grub Carolina Forest Bar & Grill Restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area