Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 105,349 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking at different areas in the South East to relocate some time in the future. We live in Colorado currently and want to try and find a place with some milder winters. I have been to Myrtle Beach before, and my wife has a friend there as well. If we do this.. it will be planned out a year or so.. have some money saved up.. and she already has a job working from home that will follow her. I will most likely be looking at buying a business at the time, or if another opportunity comes up.. who knows.. I know the economy is bad right now, and we dont plan on doing anything in a rush. We have also been looking at Florida as a possibility(near St. Augustine/Jacksonville). I have been checking out Conway and it looks pretty nice and close enough to the beach.

We are not athiest or anything, but we are definately not church goers. Is this truly an issue in this area? Do we need to go to church to fit in?

I have read some bad things about the crime in myrtle beach.. is it really that bad or just hyped up? How about Conway?

Can anyone give me a basic rundown or example of typical costs out there(utilities, housing insurance, taxes, etc..)?

In conway.. what are the schools to avoid and which ones should we be looking at? We have a 6 year old and another on the way.

Anything else I should know?

Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,785,187 times
I moved to Conway, I'm not religious and most of my neighbors go to church several times a week. This has not been an issue in 2.5 years for me, so I doubt it would be for you unless you were to say something to offend someone. No one has even asked me if I go to church or why I don't go or anything like that.

Conway is nice but it is probably a lot different than what you are use to unless you live in a rural area. There is a small downtown area and sub-divisions here and there but it is also very rural. The beach is not too far unless you are use to the beach being around the corner. Since you're moving from CO, I don't think that would be an issue. The issue of crime has been discussed on here many times and if you do some searhecs using the search feature you can see what others have said. You can also contact Horry County Police > Home and ask questions. If this is a real concern of yours, that's what I would do. The same for schools, go to HorryCountySchools - Home and call, ask questions. I know that Carolina Forest and the St James schools seem to have the best reputation but I couldn't say if they are the best. I never hear anything negative or positive about the schools in Conway. If you do a search on Google, type "rate schools" etc...you can probably find out more.

Taxes: Assessor
Insurance - We pay $900 a year on a 2000 sq ft house in Conway plus $400 for flood insurance just to give you an idea. If you are in city limits it may be more expensive. Also, closer to the beach is more exepensive usually.
Utilities: we pay $9 month for water, $70 for electric (everything here is electric), $120 for cable-phone-internet

You also have to pay personal property tax: Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide

The only thing I would suggest is to visit a few times before committing, if you can. Call Chamber of Commerce and ask them to send you some info. Keep in mind, no place is perfect and that you may be trading things you don't like in CO for some things you may not like here. If you have never lived in the south it could be a little bit of a culture shock because it is different, so you have to be open minded. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 105,349 times
Quote:
I moved to Conway, I'm not religious and most of my neighbors go to church several times a week. This has not been an issue in 2.5 years for me, so I doubt it would be for you unless you were to say something to offend someone. No one has even asked me if I go to church or why I don't go or anything like that.

Thats good to hear.. at first I must have just read the wrong posts.. sort of made me worried. Then I started reading what some people said about colorado and I realized how people can view things completely differently!! lol Here where I live now quite a few people are pretty religious.. so I am sure it will be fine based on what you are describing.

Colorado is pretty rural as soon as you leave the cities.. and to be honest.. I like, and prefer, the space so that wont be an issue at all.

I appreciate the info and the links.. that will help alot. Thanks so much!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,463,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Conway is nice but it is probably a lot different than what you are use to unless you live in a rural area. There is a small downtown area and sub-divisions here and there but it is also very rural. The beach is not too far unless you are use to the beach being around the corner. Since you're moving from CO, I don't think that would be an issue. The issue of crime has been discussed on here many times and if you do some searhecs using the search feature you can see what others have said. You can also contact Horry County Police > Home and ask questions. If this is a real concern of yours, that's what I would do. The same for schools, go to HorryCountySchools - Home and call, ask questions. I know that Carolina Forest and the St James schools seem to have the best reputation but I couldn't say if they are the best. I never hear anything negative or positive about the schools in Conway. If you do a search on Google, type "rate schools" etc...you can probably find out more.

Taxes: Assessor
Insurance - We pay $900 a year on a 2000 sq ft house in Conway plus $400 for flood insurance just to give you an idea. If you are in city limits it may be more expensive. Also, closer to the beach is more exepensive usually.
Utilities: we pay $9 month for water, $70 for electric (everything here is electric), $120 for cable-phone-internet

You also have to pay personal property tax: Moving to South Carolina Tax Guide

The only thing I would suggest is to visit a few times before committing, if you can. Call Chamber of Commerce and ask them to send you some info. Keep in mind, no place is perfect and that you may be trading things you don't like in CO for some things you may not like here. If you have never lived in the south it could be a little bit of a culture shock because it is different, so you have to be open minded. Good luck!

Hey stranger
We miss you up here in Jersey, i hope all is well with you and the family

Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 AM

24 posts, read 76,195 times
I have a quick question for Rapture. We are in NJ and have a second home, until we retire there, in Longs. We pay $19.65 for water and sewer with 0 usage. You pay 9.00? What are we doing wrong???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area