Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 11,278 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've read tons of posts dealing with this outsider issue and it seems all I've read have amounted to Northern / foriegn people vs. Southern. Is this really the case, or is it Horry Co. vs. any outsiders? I'm from Alabama, lived in Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, little time in St. Louis. That would place me as a "southerner". I'm also -not that it should matter- white. The past is gone. I love history, more than most. I don't understand anyone having issues with anyone else. Confederacy is dead, so I wish more Southerners would get that.... though the civil war was far from JUST about black and whites. Why can't people let that go? Que cera cera. I hate being stereotyped with ignorance though, really! Past sick of this mess.

So, if I move over there, are we going to be embraced as part of some out-dated southern family with misplaced loyalties or shunned as "outsiders"? I really find it slightly humorous and highly ironic. I would expect these threads in Alabama or Mississippi rather than South Carolina at the beach! Please tell me this is being over-emphasized and stretched beyond all reaches of over active imaginations.

Also, my husband commutes to Atlanta from Gwinnett county every day.... are there any people out there that can tell me if it's REALLY as bad as people are making out? We may sit through a light 4 - 5 times for 10 - 15 minutes. It may take 1 1/2 - 2 hours to go what should take 40 min. So anyone saying "traffic is horrible" that has never sat on the interstate going 0 and 5 every once in a while in my opinion is clueless as to "horrible traffic", we have "crapic" crappy traffic ( of course ). Does a 20 min drive take 20 minutes there? Conway shows as 22 minutes to Myrtle beach by mapquest. Does it take that long from heart of Conway to heart of Myrtle beach? Give or take a little of course. Or can it rival and take nearly double that sometimes? I need facts, not comparisons, because I have no CLUE what traffic might be like in Timbuktu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM

245 posts, read 761,510 times
I am a life long Southerner that moved here...I find people to be friendly and sweet.In fact in the almost year I have been here I havent even witnessed any bad behavior until the last couple of weeks. It hasnt been anything horriable but I have seen three different service people treated pretty bad from people without southern accents.
AS far as traffic it is no where near Atlanta or any other large city. To me Atlanta is a city ,Myrtle Beach like Knoxville is a large town.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:59 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Confederacy is dead, so I wish more Southerners would get that...
Help me, here. Was your posting a question or a lecture? The subject you bring up has been beaten, kicked and abused on here many, many times but I guess it's always good for another round. While the outsider issue is often written off as a North vs South issue, IMO that is a very superficial treatment.

To appreciate the resentment that many in this area feel toward outsiders, it would require that you could have had the opportunity to see what SC's lowcountry was like 10, 15, 20 years ago. At one time, this area was a paradise, focused on a beautiful, unspoiled environment, treated with respect by both those fortunate enough to live here and those lucky enough to visit. Those days are long gone. The area has been over developed, over populated, and over paved, far more so than this fragile environment can support. Oyster beds that once fed locals and thrilled visitors have been closed for decades due to run-off polution.

For the current generation, the focus has been on how many trees can be cut down, how many cookie-cutter houses can be thrown together, and how many boutique dress shops can be opened to satisfy the insatiable demands of affluent retirees and shopaholic tourists. This has resulted in a beautiful environment being turned into just another tourist-tacky town. Have we learned anything? Absolutely - developers have learned how to fill in wetlands, build on smaller lots to increase density, and to add an "e" to the end of "point" because lots in "Paradise Pointe" sell for more money than lots in "Paradise Point". To quote a dear friend, the developers would pave the ocean if they thought they could sell it. And still the migrants pour in.

So, yes, there is some resentment. It may appear to be aimed at yankees, but that is primarily because most of the migration is southward in nature. If you move here and you run into a little resentment that you find hard to understand, cut the guy some slack. Your house was probably built over a wetland where he hunted ducks some time ago. On the positive side, the closer you get to Myrtle Beach, the less likely you will encounter this attitude. At this point in time, MB must be about 90% migrants. Still, if you come on down and tell the locals they just need to "let that go", there's a good chance you can generate some real attitude.

Fortunately, MB traffic rarely compares to Atlanta. We're waiting on I-73 to be built before we reach that stage. On most days, you'll figure out how to make a 20-minute drive in 30 minutes or so, while all the tourists who are in a big rush to relax try to make it in 15 minutes by running traffic lights and constantly switching lanes. Then, all of a sudden, you'll hit that magic day on 501, usually a Saturday in June, where it would be quicker to float the tides down the Waccamaw River. If you're really lucky, you'll hit a Saturday in June when the MB militia decides to do a license check on 501, essentially shutting down the primary inbound route to MB.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 105,215 times
Quote:
For the current generation, the focus has been on how many trees can be cut down, how many cookie-cutter houses can be thrown together, and how many boutique dress shops can be opened to satisfy the insatiable demands of affluent retirees and shopaholic tourists.
Welcome to America!! Just delete the part about retirees and it can fit most any decent place to live in America. The reason for it is a whole other debate.. lol

Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM

137 posts, read 575,542 times
I just moved here about three months ago and everyone I meet has been very friendly. I've lived in Iowa, New York, Maryland and California and this has been by far the most friendly place I've lived. Iowa was second, California and Maryland tied and New York, dead last. I think if you are friendly and accept the people and the area for what it is, you'll be fine. As far as traffic, it does have it's issues but nothing like the commutes in California, New York and Maryland. More like beach traffic on the weekends and the bike fests. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Was your posting a question or a lecture?
Question with a bit of "shame on you" I guess. You know, progress happens everywhere, not just Myrtle Beach. Even if there is ever a space age with hover cars and sci-fi'ed out the you-know-what, Myrtle Beach will be forced to change with the times just like every other place in the world. That part you should hold against no-one. Gulf Shores has changed alot too. I'm not just against SC Horry County people for treating others bad if they do, but I am against any place that does it for no GOOD reason. People should be allowed to live wherever they please and feel welcomed unless they cause trouble and are the ones being offensive, then they deserve what they get.

I just know I've seen several posts from people having issues and from what I saw they were never fully addressed. Being a blunt person, I figured I'd just flat out ask the question, "What gives? What's the REAL issue here."

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
I am a life long Southerner that moved here...I find people to be friendly and sweet.In fact in the almost year I have been here I havent even witnessed any bad behavior until the last couple of weeks. It hasnt been anything horriable but I have seen three different service people treated pretty bad from people without southern accents.
AS far as traffic it is no where near Atlanta or any other large city. To me Atlanta is a city ,Myrtle Beach like Knoxville is a large town.

Thanks bunches!!! That helps lots. Unfortunately service people get treated badly eveywhere from what I've seen, a bit retarded if they didn't do anything to deserve it.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM

6 posts, read 15,520 times
Hey one point the Confederacy will never die..but that is a totally different story///
WE Southerners are proud of the South and our heritage..We are not the bigots we are made out to be and we are very hospitable to everyone!!!! MBeach is mostly made up of Northerners in some areas. I work in Conway and drive from Garden City every morning 22 miles exactly and it takes me app 25-35 minutes on average...ATLANTA has not been this easy since 1965..even then it was a nightmare.
501 inbound to MB can get really backed up on Friday afternoon in the tourist season...you got to know which way the flow is going and which way not to go......
I train new people coming in and 90 % of our new employees are YANKEES but we get along fine! we are all GODS CHILDREN some are more lucky than others...to have enjoyed the Natural Beauty of the beach till it got so cluttered...

Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 7,460 times
I moved to NC (about 15 minutes from N. Myrtle Beach, SC) 2 years ago. My wife and I had a place nin Calabash for many years. We always loved the area and hoped to be able to move down here someday. We did and I feel blessed. I have met the most wonderful people on earth. I believe that if you're nice, respectful and treat others with dignity, you'll find that it's returned.
I was an environmental scientist who fought over development and usually lost. It saddens me to see what is happening here. If only things could remain as pristine as nature intended. I am a member of the Coastal Federation here. I know I'll never beat the developers. When money is in the mix...anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area