Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,594 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are seriously thinking about moving to SC from NJ. NJ is just way to populated with too much traffic (It can take an hour and a half for my husband to get to work which is only 22 miles away) and one of the most expensive states to live in. We love SC and want to live near the beaches bc we have a boat we would be bringing with us. What towns are good to live in near/outside of Myrtle Beach? How are the school districts? I currently teach in NJ and would be looking for another teaching job in SC. Any and information is greately appreciated!
Thanks,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
I feel your pain.... we moved from Long Island in 2006 for many of the same reasons. For us, it was the right move.

First, let me say that finding a job now will be difficult, but not impossible. Do not expect to get paid anywhere near what you made in NJ. I don't an exact figure, but a teacher in Horry probably makes about $35k a year.

If you can sell your house in NJ, there are some good deals on housing down here with the real estate market being the way it is. I have seen some nice 3br houses in foreclosure in our area for under $250k with taxes around $2k a year. The further away from the beach the less expensive the real estate is.

A friend of mine just had a house built in Cypress River Plantation in Socastee off Bay Rd and I was impressed with the community when we visited recently. The development is only about half built so far and it has a nice boat ramp/storage right onto the intracoastal waterway. I just did a quick search and saw lots under $90k with pool, tennis etc. There are several other communities that offer these amenities, too.

Here is a photo I took from the the ramp:

Schools can be hit & miss, but most of the schools along the beaches are pretty good. Our kids go to the Waccamaw schools in Georgetown Co. and we have liked them so far.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,063 times
The teachers are going to be forced to go on furlough's because of the budget concerns. The schools aren't that good here, unfortunately. Like the previous poster said, it's hit or miss. You'll get some good teachers, and some who are worn out.

Wages are miserable, and overall, jobs are extremely difficult to find.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 8,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I feel your pain.... we moved from Long Island in 2006 for many of the same reasons. For us, it was the right move.

First, let me say that finding a job now will be difficult, but not impossible. Do not expect to get paid anywhere near what you made in NJ. I don't an exact figure, but a teacher in Horry probably makes about $35k a year.

If you can sell your house in NJ, there are some good deals on housing down here with the real estate market being the way it is. I have seen some nice 3br houses in foreclosure in our area for under $250k with taxes around $2k a year. The further away from the beach the less expensive the real estate is.

A friend of mine just had a house built in Cypress River Plantation in Socastee off Bay Rd and I was impressed with the community when we visited recently. The development is only about half built so far and it has a nice boat ramp/storage right onto the intracoastal waterway. I just did a quick search and saw lots under $90k with pool, tennis etc. There are several other communities that offer these amenities, too.

Schools can be hit & miss, but most of the schools along the beaches are pretty good. Our kids go to the Waccamaw schools in Georgetown Co. and we have liked them so far.
I just moved down to MB from Brooklyn, NY after retiring a little over a year ago and once the sale of our Brooklyn house is finalized my wife will be joining me. We brought a house in Cypress River Plantation and we got a really good deal and it is a really nice community. The area is zoned for St. James schools but I have no idea of how good they may be as all our sons are grown and it wasn't a consideration for us. There doesn't seem to be a lot of employment opportunities down here outside of in health care and seasonal work in the tourist industry. Golf is also very big down here FWIW.

Some of the recent lot sales in the development were in the $50K range.

There are also plenty of great condo deals available at this time. You could also look as far away as Little River, right on the SC/NC border, as the lightly used SC 31 can get you back & forth to/from the central MB area in a relatively short time.

Good luck

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM

They said something on the news last night about a 6% reduction of the teacher force. I'm guessing your wife won't be able to get a job. I'd suggest looking in a different county. The beach is a really nice place to visit, but it's a difficult place to sustain a living.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 AM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
To the OP, here are a few of the articles found on The Sun News Online today..

Area hiring still on pause - Business - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/03/10/1359503/area-hiring-still-on-pause.html - broken link)

And much more relevant to your original question...

Area officials: Where else to cut? School budgets wrung dry - Local - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/26/1337309/school-budgets-wrung-dry.html - broken link)

Budget slices school funds - Education - TheSunNews.com (http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/02/25/1334996/budget-slices-school-funds.html - broken link)

So, in a nutshell, the ability for your wife to secure employment within the Horry County School System does not appear to look good..

Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
To the OP, here are a few of the articles found on The Sun News Online today..
Reps to ya', rrufast. Always enjoy your posts, and it's so rare to find an RE agent on here who actually posts useful info rather than those who just try to sell more houses by painting a completely fictional image of what it's like down here in "paradise."

Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 AM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
PawleysDude-
Thanks! I appreciate the kind comments...

I think if more people were GENUINE in trying to HELP someone rather than soley trying to SELL them something, regardless of the product, we'd be a lot better off!

The Real Estate industry has a bad enough reputation as it is, it doesn't need the help that a significant portion of the agents and Realtors® give it...

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Default Speaking of being helpful....

Rrufast - wasn't it you who got that flattened penny for the little girl a few months ago? What ever happened with that? Did the dad thank you for doing it or acknowledge your kindness? All I remember was he got so upset because you didn't make it your main priority and then he quit the forum over it! I guess he thought you should have run out the next day and sent it overnight fedex or something! Anyway, that was a really nice thing for you to do and I keep wondering what happened.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Reps to ya', rrufast. Always enjoy your posts, and it's so rare to find an RE agent on here who actually posts useful info rather than those who just try to sell more houses by painting a completely fictional image of what it's like down here in "paradise."
Isn't THAT the truth!! A RE agent messaged ME, of all people, and said she saw that I was looking to move here and what a great place to move. She tried to tout all the great things, and I thought maybe she was on some kind of mind altering substance. They really should be more concerned about telling the truth when it comes to jobs and such, than selling real estate and getting some money in their pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area