Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM

486 posts, read 997,024 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best middle schools/high schools in the area in low crime neighborhoods within 30 mins of the beaches?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:40 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
My personal preference in Horry County, after doing extensive research, includes:

Forestbrook Middle School (which feeds to either Carolina Forest or Socastee High Schools)
St. James Middle School
Socastee Middle School

Socastee High School
St. James High School
Carolina Forest High School

There are also the Waccamaw Middle and High Schools in Georgetown County - Murrells Inlet and Pawley's Island area.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. We have been considering Summerville and Mt Pleasant in the Charleston area also. I know this sounds crazy but with all of the earthquakes lately, I am nervous about the fault line there. Carolia Forest is also on my short list and looks like a very nice area.

Barbara

Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,746 times
I didn't know there's a fault line in Charleston. Yikes! I'd be more concerned with hurricanes though. Hugo was a huge one and hopefully the only one for many, many years. MB doesn't seem to get them very often. They mostly go south or north, especially to the Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington/Outer Banks areas of the NC.

Carolina Forest is nice but it's growing so quickly that the schools are having trouble keeping up. They bring in those mobile classroom buildings to supplement. Traffic in the area can be an issue, too, especially when trying to get anywhere on Route 501. I have to give the powers that be credit, though. They're working on the issues and trying to stay ahead of things. Maybe the slowdown in the economy will give them some breathing room to catch up.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
We have children in the Waccamaw schools & have been happy with them for the most part. Facilities are good, classroom ratios are pretty good, etc. We were a little disappointed with the guidance counselor at WHS, but a lot of that had to do with our under-achieving student.

We'll pin our high hopes on our daughter!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Good luck to you and I'm glad you like the schools. I find the whole area beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area