Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
As entertaining as I am finding this thread, I thought I would re-post the OP's original question since it seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way.
Perhaps, but we did cover everything! Neighbors, gardens, HOA's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
I'm usually reluctant to dredge up old threads, but while slothfully enjoying a good book this afternoon, I came upon a passage that brought to mind our recent discussion:

"He who would see the difference between comfort and discomfort, between neatness and disorder, cleanliness and filth, between farming the land and letting the land farm itself, between trade and stagnation, stirring activity and reigning sloth, between a wide-spread intelligence and an almost universal ignorance, between general progress and an incapacity for all improvement or advancement, has commonly only to cross the border-line which separates a free from a slave State." - Thomas Gladstone, 1857

So there you have it, my northern friends. The differences you lament have been documented for over 150 years. There is utterly no point in trying to change us. If disorder, filth, stagnation and sloth are too much to bear, you probably landed in the wrong place. It's not your fault or our fault, it's simply our heritage. Still, were it possible for every local resident to grasp this concept, I'm willin' to bet our population would not decrease by a single soul....

Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Toto, I don't think we are in Maryland anymore ..... thank goodness! ... (pun intended)

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I'm usually reluctant to dredge up old threads, but while slothfully enjoying a good book this afternoon, I came upon a passage that brought to mind our recent discussion:

"He who would see the difference between comfort and discomfort, between neatness and disorder, cleanliness and filth, between farming the land and letting the land farm itself, between trade and stagnation, stirring activity and reigning sloth, between a wide-spread intelligence and an almost universal ignorance, between general progress and an incapacity for all improvement or advancement, has commonly only to cross the border-line which separates a free from a slave State." - Thomas Gladstone, 1857

So there you have it, my northern friends. The differences you lament have been documented for over 150 years. There is utterly no point in trying to change us. If disorder, filth, stagnation and sloth are too much to bear, you probably landed in the wrong place. It's not your fault or our fault, it's simply our heritage. Still, were it possible for every local resident to grasp this concept, I'm willin' to bet our population would not decrease by a single soul....
lol PD. As always, you never fail to amuse.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:10 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
I have been thinking about the "cookie cutter" comments about some of the complexes in the MB, MI, PI area. I have to admit that our complex, Park West in Murrells Inlet, could be a poster child of cookie cutter. All the units are pretty much the same. In fact, my first comment to the realtor when we looked was "I don't think I like the look with everything the same". But I like the individual unit apparence which means I would also like the look of my neighbor's unit. And with strick HOA rules about modifications and decorating, the look I like will be preserved.

I kind of think of the concept as the same as having school students wear uniforms. The cost, condition, style, etc. of the child's school clothing does not impact on what is important: the student and the education.

Sure, if I had all the money in the world, I would have at least one victorian manson. I would also hire people to take care of it. I'm not into home improvement. I'm into relaxing (although some people call working on their homes relaxing). My feeling is that having a "cookie cutter" townhouse in a community with strong HOA rules means no matter how much time, money or creativity my neighbor has, they are not going to make their unit a "jewel" (making me feel bad about mine). And no matter how poor, lazy and sloppy another neighbor is, they will not ruin the look of the neighborhood. I would have never thought I would like the cookie cutter concept. But I do......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area