Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM

100 posts, read 302,754 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my fiance and I are looking to move to Golden Gate Estates and have a couple questions:

1. I've read that are of GGE become swamp during the rainy season. Backyards basically stay wet the entire time. As I want to farm and grow a lot of tropical and citrus fruit trees, that would be a bad thing for me. Is there any way to tell if you're buying a house that has a backyard that will be under water during the rainy season? Is there a specific area of GGE this happens to?

2. I've heard rumors that an interchange may connect GGE and Alligator Alley one day. Any truth to this? If so, where would it be?

3. Are there any negatives for gardening in GGE a guy from Hawaii might not even know to ask about?

4. Any tips for someone house hunting in GGE?

Thank you ever so kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 AM

256 posts, read 745,830 times
I can't answer to specific areas in the estates, but google earth is your friend. With it, you can see where orchards are. Most of of them are a little farther North.

If you see cypress trees on the property it definitely gets wet part of the year, although any place can get sheet flow. Google earth will also help you see the strands of high ground that run through that area as well as spot agricultural areas.

Citrus is under attack here from greening disease. It's killing the groves. You might want to check with Collier County extension service. Professional Horticulture Services - Collier County Extension

The interchange you're speaking of has been proposed but it''s not likely in this political climate for several years It would be at Everglades Blvd and I 75.

I hope that helps you in your search.

Beth

Old 03-10-2011, 07:29 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
1. The only way to tell for sure is to visit during the summer and look at the standing water. There are surveys you can do also. No specific area. You can build up your property with fill dirt which will help.
2. I agree with Beth.
3. I know zero about gardening.
4. Where will you be working? You have to factor commute issues as most areas of GGE ar far from jobs.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM

136 posts, read 418,095 times
My husband & I bought a foreclosure in the estates about 2 yrs ago and as far as wet yards, you can try looking at the fema maps to see whats prone to flooding, but not sure how accurate that is. My yard dries instantly where as the vacant lot thats very overgrown holds water.
Alot of residents also grow veggies, but I dont know how much work is required. I know if I were to attempt it Id probably have to bring clean fill in being is that my yard is alot of sand.
You def can get good deals right now on foreclosures.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 PM

100 posts, read 302,754 times
Thank you all so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!

I work from home and my lady will be working at one of the hospitals.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 AM

85 posts, read 177,071 times
I think this is the new flood zone map for Collier County. Enter the street address and the shading will give you the details. http://maps.colliergov.net/websites/dfirms/femaprelimdfirmviewer.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples