Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times

Advertisements

My father told me there is a storm brewing in the Gulf that could hit SW Florida the middle of the week next week (just when we plan to arrive in Naples). I checked the weather channel site and all it shows is possible t-storms.

If anyone has any additional information, either now or through the week, please post. We might either move up our arrival or postpone it depending on the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 03:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
We never know for sure with these storm where they will go. I never really watch until its about 3 days out to get a better view, infact we've had hurricanes coming directly for us that have shifted away 4 hours before making direct landfall with us (Hurricane Charlie) so unfortunantly none of us could predict what the weather will be till later next week ;(

Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Hurricane Wilma was in mid-October, 2005. Cat. 5.
It ain't over til it's over.

I had to wait until Oct. 20, 1999 to close on my house, as there was a storm threat the week before, and the insurance companies won't take on new policies within 5-7 days of a storm prediction.

Don't know of a predicted storm now though.....but...................................

WELCOME TO PARADISE!!!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Had you not had the forum split I would have seen this earlier.

Yes, Hurricane Rina is too far away to determine. Here's a great map to show you the situation. It's just been upgraded to a Cat. 2.

Hurricane RINA

On August 13, 2004 Hurricane was traveling up the coast with all meteorologists predicting it would hit Tampa. I just had a bad feeling but couldn't convince my husband to leave. We were in Fort Myers. At the very last minute it took a right hook and traveled over Sanibel and Captiva, coming inland at Punta Gorda. He was a Cat 4, almost 5, much like Katrina. The only difference was he was smaller in circumference - he affected less of an area - and there was hardly any flooding. Nevertheless, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and the aftermath was even worse.

You just never know. You could go your entire life life living in Florida and never see a direct hit. Or not. It took me eight years but I have that kind of luck.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Well at least I will be there to put the hurricane shutters back up if it heads towards Naples. Heading to Florida tomorrow......

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
If anyone has any additional information, either now or through the week, please post. We might either move up our arrival or postpone it depending on the weather.
Do you have cable TV or satellite TV? The Weather Channel has updates at least once an hour on national weather. You can also get this information at many of the weather web sites. NOAA has its own site with storm tracking maps.

As others have mentioned, weather is something that is never certain, but there are often patterns storms follow. The air is often less humid in late Oct and the water temperature is lower in both the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico, so hurricanes usually weaken before making landfall on our peninsula. Still, anything can happen when it comes to mother nature.

[URL="http://www.naplesnews.com/"]Naples Daily News[/URL] has its own web site if you want area specific weather. There's a very colorful map tracking Rina on the front page.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM

256 posts, read 745,758 times
Hurricane Rina : Tracking Map : Weather Underground

Here you are, hope it helps

Beth

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Hurricane Wilma was in mid-October, 2005. Cat. 5.
It ain't over til it's over.

WELCOME TO PARADISE!!!

Hurricane Wilma only made landfall as a Cat 3 with wind speeds at 125 mph
Katrina made landfall as a higher Cat 4 with twith wind speeds only 25 mph faster . We sustained SIGNIFICANTLY less damage as we don't live in a fishbowl and our construction is better up to hurricane code. Unless its a Cat 4 or higher I'm not leaving and honestly I have never boarded up.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM

My neighbors in Naples have been through a few storms, including Charlie and whatever the last one to hit the Naples area was..... They said there was no structual or other damage to our units, so I am not too worried. However I do look at mounting the hurricane shutters as a luck thing. It's like carrying an umbrella with the possiblility of rain. If you have it, it never rains. If you don't, it pours!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
My neighbors in Naples have been through a few storms, including Charlie and whatever the last one to hit the Naples area was..... They said there was no structual or other damage to our units, so I am not too worried. However I do look at mounting the hurricane shutters as a luck thing. It's like carrying an umbrella with the possiblility of rain. If you have it, it never rains. If you don't, it pours!
I think the last severe hurricane Naples area had was Donna probably in the 60's. They have pretty strict codes now I think with the buildings and they seem to hold up well enough. Altho I won't chance it with a Cat 5 but even a low Cat 4 I'd be hesitant to leave. Its not the leaving thats crappy its that u can never freaking get back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples