Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times

Advertisements

We have CenturyLink here, and for over $100 a month we have a very slow DSL connection. Web pages take a looonnng time to load, and downloads take a very long time. Downloading a 350mb file takes over half an hour!

When I go to CenturyLink's web page, which takes a while to load, I see that they are offering internet service far cheaper than what we are now paying, and much faster speeds at that. Perhaps we can negotiate a better deal than we have now, I certainly hope so, but I think it might be better for us to go with another provider.

What other providers are there locally in Naples, and are they any better? As I've been writing this post my computer has been constantly beachballing (Mac) and I can't type a whole sentence without it doing that because I've got a download going.

I'd really appreciate advice on which provider might be better than CenturyLink, as I'm not real happy with them so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM

85 posts, read 177,041 times
I've had Comcast for several years, cable and internet. Just checked the speed on speedtest.net and got a ping of 17ms, download of 12.84Mbps and upload of 4.15Mbps. Normally it's a little faster with downloads of 20+Mbps. My cable and internet is $134.00 per month.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
I rarely have anything good to say about Comcast, but overall, their internet service is pretty fast. We've had some major reliability problems in the past, for the first 2-3 years after they took over from Time Warner, but lately, it seems to be pretty reliable, especially for a utility in the state of FL.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
+1 for Comcast, though we are multi-pkg users of their phone, cable/HD DVR and internet. Not the cheapest in town, but technically proficient and nearly glitch proof in our 8 seasons here.

Couple of speed tests just run, and with a desktop, a lap top and a tablet all on & sponging off of our wifi, and with several windows and tabs open on each:

-Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 24.6 Mbps (3073.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.07 Mbps (508.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

-http://www.speedtest.net/result/2499312501.png
ping 5ms, 25.17 Mbs Down, 4.21 Mbs Upload

That ~25 down and ~4 up is pretty typical of what I get most of the time. The speed is very, very good and I find myself 'hogging up' my desktop 'load-wise', even though it is fairly new with 2nd gen i-7, 12 gig RAM, etc.
The OP's connection speed, assuming his Mac is 'clean', is less than crummy public motel wifi or bad 'air card', imo.
GL, mD

Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,028 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Motordavid: Do you have a Comcast provided cablemodem with wireless? If so, which one did they give you? We have the original one they gave us 3 years ago and the wireless coverage and speed sucks.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 AM

33 posts, read 61,616 times
We have CenturyLink internet bundled with our phone here in Naples and pay $59.95/month,with a speed of 10 mbs (plenty fast for us). At that speed we can watch videos, tv programs we've missed, etc just fine. Don't know if we are getting a better rate because we also have Century Link at our home in MO, but don't think so.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Motordavid: Do you have a Comcast provided cablemodem with wireless? If so, which one did they give you? We have the original one they gave us 3 years ago and the wireless coverage and speed sucks.
tmozer,
Yes the original modem supplied/rented to us by Comcast. This unit is now in its 8th season of ~5 months per season use:
Arris brand. Not much else on it other than maybe a model # TM402P/110.

As for router, I use a Cisco Linksys 'platter' looking gizmo, that has to be 6-7 season old.
Both run better than my old Rolex...
GL, mD

Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM

124 posts, read 333,545 times
Hi, really only Comcast is able to provide a good fast service. (As much as i dislike the company for less than par TV service, their internet service is good) Try and make sure the modem they give you is a DOCSIS 3.0, so that when they switch your area to the really fast internet, you'll already be set with the hardware.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 AM

140 posts, read 288,296 times
Our area is divided between people who use comcast and century link. Everyone is unhappy with their service. The cellphone service here is terrible too with verizon probably being the best. As you drive around Naples, there are pockets of good service and people here tend to be satisfied with a microcell in their homes. But they don't seem to comprehend that their home has a land line and in an emergency, the cell service here is suboptimal. Very disappointing that Collier County can't be more involved in correcting these problems. One of the commissioners who we met with said that there is nothing they could do. I'm looking into Global star and Hughes for internet but other than iridium satellite phones , I can't think of any way to get reliable phone service throughout Naples. Any help here would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM

50 posts, read 72,996 times
is comcast/xfinity an option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: