Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,403 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Naples from Pennsylvania, where we have resided pretty much our entire lives. My husband has a job here, and has already been residing here for a few weeks. I am waiting for my son to finish out 7th grade.

I am looking for some advice on schools, and any local info you can give me. I realize everyone has opinions, so that is what I am looking for.

My son will be 13 in June when we plan to move. The school that is in our vacinity is Golden Gate Middle. My son struggles with his grades and large classes, and at this age is not completely thrilled with losing friends. We are moving from what people call a "hick town" of corn fields and hillbillies, so we are aware this will be a culture shock to all of us.

My husband and I are 30 something, and both are very excited for the experience. He has adjusted well and is just ready for us to get here. I am a Family Practice Office Manager in the search for a job. We like to go boating, swimming, and find local hangouts. My son plays all sports, so am looking for info on that too!

We are visiting for 2 weeks, now, to start the job search and look around Any help, advice, suggestions and opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:56 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
I can't help with specifics but you are in for a HUGE culture shock not only at GG Middle School but the area of GG City.

I lived in GG City for about 12 years not far from that school. I am also from PA, but from the suburbs of Philly.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM

I am not so much worried about the culture shock for me, but my soon-to-be teenager that comes from a predominantly white, english speaking school - to being the minority. Which is absolutely fine, and we will adjust, any significant move such as ours takes time, right?!?! lol

My biggest concern is the school....it isn't rated too bad, but I have some red flags on comments that were made. Just concerned. I have spent hours reviewing these schools, and while we are not in the "subsidized" class, we also cannot afford private. definitely middle class, with nowhere to go!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
You don't have any other school options......might as well make the best of it.

My guess is your kid will adjust, he'll have some friends whose parents he (and you) can't communicate with-but this is at pretty much every school here to some degree.

Not much middle class in Naples.

Read my post here. A lot of people found it helpful. It is old but a lot still applies:

Now I'm scared to move to Naples!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM

That was great, and very informative. All of which I have considered. Thank You. I am sure it is just a matter of time, educating myself on the area, and of course, finding a job!

Thanks, again.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,947 times
We have just bought a home in Valencia lakes, Naples. We too are from the suburbs of Philadelphia. We will move down in 2 years and we are bringing our daughter and grandson with us he will be 14 at the time. Our oldest daughter has been in Valencia lakes for 6 years and in towers before you cross into Marco for a year. We know those areas very well. I am sure any move is hard for them at that age ,but we figured he is active in sports and he is very social.We are spending 2 weeks this summer and next summer for him to adjust and to build some friendships ahead of time. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 13,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanynicole View Post
My family and I are relocating to Naples from Pennsylvania, where we have resided pretty much our entire lives. My husband has a job here, and has already been residing here for a few weeks. I am waiting for my son to finish out 7th grade.

I am looking for some advice on schools, and any local info you can give me. I realize everyone has opinions, so that is what I am looking for.

My son will be 13 in June when we plan to move. The school that is in our vacinity is Golden Gate Middle. My son struggles with his grades and large classes, and at this age is not completely thrilled with losing friends. We are moving from what people call a "hick town" of corn fields and hillbillies, so we are aware this will be a culture shock to all of us.

My husband and I are 30 something, and both are very excited for the experience. He has adjusted well and is just ready for us to get here. I am a Family Practice Office Manager in the search for a job. We like to go boating, swimming, and find local hangouts. My son plays all sports, so am looking for info on that too!

We are visiting for 2 weeks, now, to start the job search and look around Any help, advice, suggestions and opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!
I have been a resident for 22 years, daughter of 10 years. I am also in the Mortgage business. Anyway, I choose to go the out-of-zone way or apply to go out of the area. Golden Gate schools are not the best for children that have a hard time learning. If you go on the Collier County Schools websites you will find a great tool there. They actually have the schools rated in order. You will learn alot from this website.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
Make sure you do your homework about the probable oil drilling in Golden Gate and the introduction of Common Core in Collier schools. Big negatives in my eyes. I won't even dare send my daughter into a collier school. She will be homeschooled till we leave. They're not that great. Lee isnt any better (although collier is arguably better than Lee, where some schools received an F grade) they just mandated recess this week in school. And it's only 15 minutes at that. Prior to that some kids didn't have any outside recess during the course of the school day...

P.s there isn't really anything that's "middle class" in Naples . There's the ultra rich, and the rest of us. I went to school with kids who drove lamborginis and Ferarris as a first car. Naples is a bit out if touch with reality on the social class aspect. Some kids don't even realize not everyone's dad drives an Audi and takes trips to Europe every summer when school is out. Not only did they do it but all their friends did too.

My friend in school has his car in highschool custom ordered and shipped from Germany, and complained the Weeks after that the grey leather interior was two shades too light for the exterior paint..

Good luck!

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 06-04-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 AM

Default made the move

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecbc View Post
We have just bought a home in Valencia lakes, Naples. We too are from the suburbs of Philadelphia. We will move down in 2 years and we are bringing our daughter and grandson with us he will be 14 at the time. Our oldest daughter has been in Valencia lakes for 6 years and in towers before you cross into Marco for a year. We know those areas very well. I am sure any move is hard for them at that age ,but we figured he is active in sports and he is very social.We are spending 2 weeks this summer and next summer for him to adjust and to build some friendships ahead of time. Good luck and keep us posted

We have officially made the move from PA. My son brought his best friend with him, hoping they as a team can get out and make some friends while he is here. Let us know when you get here, we can introduce

Old 08-23-2014, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanynicole View Post
We have officially made the move from PA. My son brought his best friend with him, hoping they as a team can get out and make some friends while he is here. Let us know when you get here, we can introduce
I hope everything goes well. I will try to follow youthe next few months. Hope school works out for your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: