Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie1981 View Post
Hello,
I would like to know how is living in Naples now? Is it more kids friendly than a few years ago? I would like to live in a place with beach an not as crazy as the cities... Opinions?
It is slowly becoming more family friendly, but still very much outweighed by retirees and snowbirds. The area needs another 3-5 Arthrex or Hertz types of companies based here.

Naples happiness also depends a lot on your income and budget. Sweetbottoms who posted earlier found housing expensive and crowded compared to the 80's and 90's, which I won't disagree with.

If you have a good income (or two), then there are lots of options. Shopping and restaurants are plentiful and easily enjoyed out of season (and in season if you plan ahead).

But if you are coming here earning less than $100K I think there are better options in Florida where it's not as crazy and where you can be within a half hour of the beach. Naples IS expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,889 times
Thanks for your help!
And which place would you recommend? We are a couple, we are 37 years old and we have a 5 years old girl. We are looking for a family oriented place... not a city, something near the beach and with nice people and good schools...

Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
And which place would you recommend? We are a couple, we are 37 years old and we have a 5 years old girl. We are looking for a family oriented place... not a city, something near the beach and with nice people and good schools...
Budget?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM

mmmm
$100K apox...

Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 AM

If you have $100K to spend in Naples you are renting.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you have $100K to spend in Naples you are renting.
I agree.

Look elsewhere in Florida. Naples is very nice but at that budget you will struggle.

What is your employment situation?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
The traffic is horrible while the snowbirds are down. Naples has more mosquitoes and gets hotter than the east coast in the summer. Lots of gated communities. Renting is a great option for a year until you have been there a while and know that Naples is for you. Not much entertainment there. You will have to drive to the east to have top shows (hard rock) and gambling.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 5,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving To Naples View Post

Is Naples an overall good place to live and raise a young family? I have seen posts about the number of sex offenders in the area.!
It's great if you like oppressive heat and humidity and huge bugs 9 months out of the year. Florida seems to be a haven for sex offenders for some reason. I grew up in the Ne and lived in FL for 27 years. Never did adjust to the heat. Seems it got more crime ridden and weirder as time passed. Do yourself a favor, there are plenty of nice, family oriented places between the Ne and FL that are better suited to families. I spend way more time outdoors now that I live in TN.

In that time I saw many people cycle in and out. 4-7 years seemed to be the average. In my neighborhood I saw pretty much every single house turn over at least 3 times or more. It's very transient.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:17 AM

Ok, it´s clear that with a $100k budget is not enough to afford Naples. So, I listen for suggestions about similar towns in terms of quiet life (we are not lovers of the city, nor the noise) we want a quiet place, low crime rate, family oriented and near the beach where possible. My husband has experience as agricultural land manager and also management of restaurants/wine shops. Any suggestions? It could be Florida, South or North Carolina?

Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Quote:
Ok, it´s clear that with a $100k budget is not enough to afford Naples. So, I listen for suggestions about similar towns in terms of quiet life (we are not lovers of the city, nor the noise) we want a quiet place, low crime rate, family oriented and near the beach where possible. My husband has experience as agricultural land manager and also management of restaurants/wine shops. Any suggestions? It could be Florida, South or North Carolina?
Agricultural land is mostly interior and away from the beaches.

Your beach requirement eliminates SW Florida at that budget.

I would post in the main Florida forum noting preferences for:
-budget
-jobs
-schools
-proximity to the beach

The more details you can provide the better advice we can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples