Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 7,266 times

Advertisements

Moving back to Naples after living in northern VA for over twenty years. I am looking for a single family home with pool that is around 1900 to 2400 sq ft. Prefer to live in a gated community with amenities like tennis and golf, pool, and social activities. Prefer new construction but open to resales that are in a nice community. Being close to beach and shopping as budget allows. Budget is 450 to 650k.

I have been partial to Treviso Bay, Old Cypress, Heritage Bay, Vinyards because of the wonderful amenities. Marbella Isles, and StoneCreek have appeal although I know that it is not a country club community. Being this will be my permanent residence, would prefer buying into community where majority are permanent residents and have an active over 50 crowd. I am in my early 50's so social activity is important to me. Do not mind mixed ages since the over 55 plus only neighborhoods do not appeal to me.

Any feedback on the communities mentioned or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,712,982 times
There are still some opportunities to buy in Riverstone. It's the best of the GL communities cost and location wise.

You can get 2,400 sq ft (Chandon) nicely finished with a pool for your budget.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM

731 posts, read 768,560 times
Movin1: I know that Riverstone is a beautiful community and that you are happy there. But, would you suggest this community for someone that is looking for a country club community with mostly over 50 activities? Obviously I do not live there, but during my research and visiting Riverstone a few times I am under the impression that it is mostly families with most activities geared towards families. I understand that there are activities for retirees, but judging from all the basketball hoops, trampolines, pools filled with kiddie toys, teen activities on the social calendar, the game room and all the school bus stops, that it's not for someone who is looking for mostly an adult atmosphere.

Tracytoma26: Dh and I are also looking at single family homes in Naples with similar criteria as you. Right now we are partial to the Vineyards and Olde Cypress. Do you have any information you would share regarding Olde Cypress and their County Club? Thanks!

Barb

Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 PM

I appreciate both of your responses.

I have found depending on different realtors I'm receiving different answers in regards to HOA fees and mandatory club fees. I have seen MLS listings offering reduced golf fee memberships by 15K in Olde Cypress, however the recurring fees I have seen are about 9k annually. Not certain of the Vineyards fee but I believe it would be less by about 4K. Trouble with Vineyards for me homes are much older and dated in the price range I can afford. However, I do love the location and lower overall recurring fees. New construction is very appealing to me so I continue doing the dance of trade offs.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,712,982 times
I just re-read the original post and still think Riverstone will work. There are plenty of activities here not based on kids. We know several folks our age (60's) who go to a lot of the events.

We don't see that many children in our neighborhood and have made friends with several neighbors our age.

We walk our dogs twice a day and see a lot of adults, not many children.

When we were looking for a place to live, we took a vacation here and spent time looking around. I suggest that is the best way to see communities and at different times of day. Drive around, get access to the clubhouse, talk to the HOA manager and activities directors, look at calendars of events etc. They know the demographic and want people to be happy.

I have no vested interest in promoting Riverstone or StoneCreek. I do think GL has done a great job with both relative to other communities we have looked at after we moved here.

Be sure to include lot premiums and upgrade costs when looking at prices. A $425K base price can quickly become a $600K house at closing and you still have a lot to spend to get a finished house (painting, lighting, outdoor kitchen, closets, window treatment etc).

MLS listings via Realtor.com etc will not always post HOA and other recurring fees. You need more than a good realtor to find out what it really costs to live somewhere here. You need to go direct to the source to get straight answers. It's a time consuming process, take notes so you can review them and compare apples to apples.

Last edited by movin1; 05-10-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 03:41 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
OP may need to narrow down and quantify their interest in 'golf', as there are a few options in Naples communities:

-house with most of the stuff one wants in community eg tennis, clubhouse, pool, etc but no golf course in community equals a struggle to get on some other course during season and paying slightly to very pricey greens fees as guest or 'visitor'. If one is very casual player, not so difficult.
-house in a Bundled Golf community: every door pays club and golf fees, and every door owner plus spouse gets in line to play. Can be very busy during season, based on # of doors. Even Heritage Bay is packed from Dec through April with 3 nines. Pros: bundled golf is often considerably less than an equity golf membership. But Bundled Golf does have some advantages...
-house in a non bundled/often step up club where golf is not a mandatory buy in. Pricing is all over the scale, though mostly ranging from a considerable buy in/annual running dues & fees to big dough.
-house in a non-bundled 'step up club', but no golf membership purchased: one could play occasionally in Hot Season as you live there, but don't 'belong'. Much more difficult to get on during winter Season as a non member, to impossible/not allowed. It varies by the club and the answer is often difficult to obtain other than calling the golf side mgmt. of club.

If 'golf' is 3rd or 4th on list, and you are full time, then playing in the Hot Season from May 1 through October is very doable on many courses in Collier/Lee County as a walk on/non-member or as a Reciprocal member from your home club to other tracks.

If 'golf' is 1st or 2nd, then seek out either a Bundled Golf Community or a non-bundled golf community that offers golf membership.

Fees: HOA, club dues, (golf, social or combos), et al are rarely reported accurately on any RE site I am familiar with.

Most HOAs, (sometimes an HOA of x amount of houses within a larger community of other HOAs/COAs), will have a mgmt. or B of D contact that will respond with the real cost(s). One may have to call the club and chase down this HOA mgmt. or B of D contacts as movin1 noted above.

Also, some HOAs and clubs may allow a look at the financials, and one should be provided a set or viewing of the Documents. An HOA with poor reserves, a golf club side or any activity side biz section that doesn't have good to exc Reserves is caution that dues and/or assessments will rise, soon.

If new construction is desired, (which is sometimes limiting in terms of communities to select from), 'costs' are a number 'today' but could be a larger number 'tomorrow' as the community builds out. If community has been 'turned over' to homeowners/member B of Directors, those costs are better known and more reliable. If community is still under builder(s)/developer(s) control then HOA, golf, 'club' dues and costs may escalate from OK to considerable after 'turnover'.

Not trying to dissuade you but 'golf' and many of the other social/activity aspects and costs of the differing communities can be a labyrinth that a potential new SW FL house buying customer faces, and comes away confused or with a vague sense of what the price/cost(s) really are. No dis to RE agents, but in my experience very few really know the running costs involved with any specific home/specific community they are dragging you through.

Otoh, thousands of new SW FL 'migrants' find a community that fits them and it all works out acceptably for new owner...

Apology for the term paper; just trying to point up some considerations, esp in terms of costs and fees and annual running budget.
GL, mD

Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 PM

731 posts, read 768,560 times
Great information motordavid. I have reached out directly to both the Vineyards and Old Cypress country clubs and got all the information on their costs and social calendars. Although we have visited both clubs, on our next visit to Naples we are going to set up appointments with the managers to tour each club as they offered.

Tracy: I fell the same way about the Vineyards. Love the location, love the landscaping and community, but the houses are older. Olde Cypress the houses are newer, but with our budget we would "squeak" in. LOL Hope the prices keep coming down.....

Good luck in your home search!

Barb

Old 05-10-2016, 05:21 PM

Thank you MotorDavid for your expertise and thoughts.

With all your knowledge I would be interested to know what would be your top 5 communities to buy into weighing all the variables you have presented.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
tracytoma26,
I/we don't know what you and your spouse's top considerations, needs and wants are beyond the "amenities like tennis and golf, pool, and social activities"...

By that I mean is a golf course in your community a must or just a slight desire, etc.

Most to all communities in your price range will have some form of pool(s), clubhouse, tennis, activities, et al.

If a non golf course community is OK to acceptable, I have little experience with those other than visiting friends in their communities. The Riverstone/Stone Creek rez are posters with good info on those communities and those types of communities that don't have a golf course.

If a golf course in a community is important, then is occasionally playing your course OK, or are you or spouse wanting to join men's/women's groups, couples groups, play 2-4+ times per week, on average?

And, some people like living 'in' a golf course community, but rarely play; they just like that considerable space is devoted to green stuff, preserves, (often mandated by County in remediation situs/set asides), etc. Keep in mind that nearly every golf course community in SW FL prohibits walking, running, biking, dog walking on the course, unlike many norther club courses. But, many people like living in a golf course community even if they don't play.

Another avenue to consider is buying new/pre owned, in a non golf community but joining a close by golf course in another community; it requires a drive, drop clubs, park and get going but several of our friends do the 'off campus' golf membership situ. Some clubs actively seek off campus members though most limit number of those memberships, and they are often priced 'differently', as in slightly higher but with less initiation/buy in on occasion. Not pitching off campus membership, but it often doesn't come up on new/soon to be SW FL homebuyers menu.

That is the long version of why I hesitate to list my 'top 5 communities'. It is analogous to rec'd what 5 cars someone should go drive/buy.

We lived in 2 different golf communities in Naples, over the course of ~ 9+ winter seasons, played on a 3-4 dozen different clubs' tracks via friends, visited friends in those communities, etc. Also I admit to being an HOA board member for 9 years, though my goal was reducing the 'rule book', not expanding it as most HOAs tend to do.

Admittedly, I am 3 winter seasons 'out of Naples', as we bought/had built a new larger house in a 'step up golf community' in Sarasota County, about 85 miles north of our former Naples haunt and moved to our new Escape Winter home in January 2014.

We enjoyed Naples very much, but for a half year home in the larger size and situ we desired, the current rising pricing in 'Naples'/Collier County was hard to justify. Sarasota County offered a new larger house for 25-30% less than Collier/'Naples'. $400-$600 Gs in S county is equivalent to very high $600s to mid $700s in Collier, in our experience...but not pitching S County vs C County, as those 17 'Naples' zip codes are a serious draw...

Rather than pointing you at a few communities, any of us need more info as to your needs.
Or, Direct Message might be handier and less intrusive to this Fourm.

My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 9,684 times
I agree, in Naples you're going to find that a lot of the times (depending on the country club) that homes tend to be a bit more "affordable" compared to other communities because the membership fees are much higher. I love some of the communities you mentioned, have you considered Kensington, The Quarry (near Heritage Bay), or Pelican Marsh. Pelican Marsh has a really large social community and even sub communities like to get together. When you walk into their clubhouse there is always something going on with a good amount of members. I would also check to see if the clubs are equity or non-equity so can you get your initial membership fee when you sell or not? I disagree with having to do your own research, that's what a Realtors job is! If you find a good one who is thorough they can give you all the options so when you do visit you already know upfront fees and can take a tour to get the feel / see what amenities are offered and whether or not you feel at home in the community. For a TRUE country club, I LOVE Wyndemere. It has everything you could ever want, all amenities are updated, everyone is so friendly but they are a real club with very high fees. I'd also look at other places like Bent Creek & Lamorada (new construction across from Heritage Bay). They are not country clubs BUT they offer a lot of amenities, classes, social events with brand new homes and amenities.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-12-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples