Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times

Advertisements

SFH, seasonal, no mort, gated golf community, nearly zip crime: a bit tired of the annual increases/cost of homeowner's insurance.

I shopped hard after Wilma, (and after our first year company cancelled us for the usual 'we don't write in FL anymore' reason), and found an agent/friend who found a company that wrote for ~$1400 the first year.

Every year the premium ratchets up: for 2013-2014, (July to July), the premium is now $2600+.

I realize it is not outrageous, and I won't miss lunch because of the cost, but it inflates annually like Zimbabwe dollars.

I carry reasonable deductibles, and 'enough coverage' that my western NC house Umbrella also covers our Naples house. Other than that liability umbrella, I am wondering why I have house insurance.
Anyone else doing the arith and evaluation exercise, or any opins/comments?
BR, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM

100 posts, read 302,754 times
I feel your frustration. While we're not going without, we basically have just catastrophic damage coverage at this point as we have a very high deductible (15k) and don't cover any of the contents of the house. This took our premium down to 1600 a year.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
One of my parents homes in South Carolina that is actually on the water in Murrells Inlet, is not covered by homeowners. The house was almost completely destroyed by hurricane Hugo (just under 50%) so we jacked the house up, repaired it, and we've never carried homeowners on it.

We've saved tens of thousands of dollars and probably close to hundreds of thousands in the 24 years since we've repaired it.

In this particular situation, its the land that is valuable and the home, while not worthless, isn't worth much. It's an old renovated 1950s ranch home.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Although the structures are covered by the HOA insurance, we do not carry any other insurance on our condo in Naples and Murrells Inlet SC. We do on the NJ condo only because it is required by the mortgage. I hate insurance......

Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Really in a conundrum whether to keep it insured again this year.

As our joint is a ~5+ month situ, I can justify the annual running costs as the are less than renting a decent SFH on a golf course for 5 months. Plus the house is mort free and part of the portfolio, if you will. And, I understand that costs 'creep up' over time. But FL house ins is pricey and overpriced, imo.

Our mtn house is ~3200 sq ft, with basement and 3 car garage on 3.3 acres, and we pay ~$2000 Gs a year. I realize we are at ~5,000 ft elevation here, but not without severe storms, etc. and a helluva lot more house by comparo.

tomozer: ours is a Single Fam Home, so no HOA covering anything other than common grounds liability and directors insurance, and our annual budget.

I wish there was an answer other than 'pick yes or no', and roll the dice.
BR, mD

Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Although the structures are covered by the HOA insurance, we do not carry any other insurance on our condo in Naples and Murrells Inlet SC. We do on the NJ condo only because it is required by the mortgage. I hate insurance......
Where are y'all in the Inlet? We are almost at Waccamaw on the creek.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,547,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Where are y'all in the Inlet? We are almost at Waccamaw on the creek.
Park West off Tournament Blvd.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Just an update: talked to a CS at the underwriter, St.John's, and while pleasant she was of little solace.

Talked to my FL house ins agent, (actually the office mgr), and she was very helpful. We are fiddling with deductible(s), raising the 'hurricane deductible', and I am going to get a wind mitigation inspection. Dunno how or why this aspect didn't come up on the JukeBox before.

As the house was built 7-2005, and has the 'certified' garage door, metal shutters up on all the windows, and a pricey roll down certified lanai shutter, I suspect it will 'pass'. Neither the underwriter or agent could tell me if that 'certification' will knock off 50Cts, $50 or, $500 bucks, but it will at least be wind mitigation cert'd.

I have got them down to ~$2Gs...better but still pricey if one compares my two houses in size, structure, etc. I will update after the wind mit insp and final price.
BR, mD

Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,365,484 times
Cert saved me only about $200 per year. Not a big savings. Be sure every opening is covered or there will be no discount at all. I had to cover an entire steel door (pool bath entry in back) because it has a small window. Covering the window was not good enough and would have trashed the entire discount.

Florida insurance for homes and autos is obscene compared to up north. I am told it is because fraud is rampant in FL and so all of us honest people pay for it.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 AM

340 posts, read 1,046,759 times
Have you tried keeping the Homeowner's insurance , but dropping the Hurricane coverage? That's what adds all the money and increased costs. It might be worth it just to cover the "Everything but a Hurricane " senario.

P.S, I am thinking about dropping mine down when the House is paid off in the next year or 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples