Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 PM

7 posts, read 6,992 times

Advertisements

Do people still use this site? I hope so. I need help. I’m 30yr single mother wanting to move to FL. I’ve been reading the forums for Naples area, as well as Bonita springs and Estero. I’ve been looking at houses on Zillow and the first section I go to are the school ratings. I also have seen some people say that Naples is great for families and others say only for older people. Where would one move to if she was 30, single and had a 5yr old in tow? Suggestions? Advice?

Cheers
Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnnoncaseyb View Post
Do people still use this site? I hope so. I need help. I’m 30yr single mother wanting to move to FL. I’ve been reading the forums for Naples area, as well as Bonita springs and Estero. I’ve been looking at houses on Zillow and the first section I go to are the school ratings. I also have seen some people say that Naples is great for families and others say only for older people. Where would one move to if she was 30, single and had a 5yr old in tow? Suggestions? Advice?

Cheers
Shannon
Naples is first and foremost a retirement community for wealthy retirees.

That said it is becoming more family oriented especially in North Naples.

What is your housing budget?

Do you need employment? What field?

The more info we have about your situation the better advice we can offer.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Thanks. To be quite honest it’s for a change. The housing budget would most likely 250k. It’s just us two so I’d be looking for a 2 bedroom to buy. Once down there and settled I’d be looking for admin work.

I’ll be visiting next month and hope to find something. I wanted to give the realtor some areas I’d be interested in. Obviously he/she would also know where young families are as well.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
You can get a decent condo in that price range. Be careful of extra costs and HOA fees. Is there a reason why you are moving without a job lined up? And why Naples in particular?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM

Thanks for responding. I have been applying via Indeed but it’s tough not being there while doing so. Once my parents retire they are headed to Naples. So, this will also be a home my parents/brother would visit for vacations. I don’t need to be in Naples but being close to family would be nice. Also, Collier County was #3 for the best schools in Florida.

Yes, I have noticed some of the high HOA fees on some of the condos I’ve seen.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnnoncaseyb View Post
Thanks. To be quite honest it’s for a change. The housing budget would most likely 250k. It’s just us two so I’d be looking for a 2 bedroom to buy. Once down there and settled I’d be looking for admin work.

I’ll be visiting next month and hope to find something. I wanted to give the realtor some areas I’d be interested in. Obviously he/she would also know where young families are as well.
I don't want to be a downer here but we need to delve a little more into the financials....

A single parent moving to Naples for "a change" with no job sends up a red flag.

If you are coming with $250K in cash then you'll be OK for a while. If you are getting a mortgage on a $250K house/condo that is a different story.

You will need a wad of cash to move here if you have no income stream. Rents are high and jobs don't pay well.

Naples is an expensive place to live.

Trying to be helpful and not harsh.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:02 PM

790 posts, read 503,780 times
What's your rush to buy? Why not test the waters first and rent for a year in an area/school district you think might work for you before you invest in an area you know little about without a job lined up?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM

Okay. Understandable. I didn’t know this site needed to know all my financial info ��. I will be getting help which is why I am able to go down with no job at first. Plus this will basically be a second home to my parents until they buy something of their own. So, they don’t want to rent. Waste of money.

I see that Collier county school systems have high ratings which is great and is needed. I just don’t want be in a location where I won’t fit in.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Ah, my emoji didn’t show up. But it was a laughing one. I know you guys are just trying to be helpful.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Take a look at condos in Heritage Bay. Good schools in the area, and a bit further out so it should hit your price point.

The problem is that the other posters are right - if you don’t want to be in a position where you don’t fit in, it’s tough in Naples. The ‘better’ areas and communities (ie closer to the beach and amenities) are outside your budget and the majority of condos are owned by snowbirds. It will probably be 10-20 more years before the demographics get more balanced and it becomes a year round community rather than one dominated by “season”.

Schools are better in Collier, but housing is more expensive and I’m not sure how exciting it will be for a single mom.

However the weather is great and if you have family around there are far worse places to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples