Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times

Advertisements

Three years ago we ALMOST built a new house in Naples. By an act of our guardian angel, we were able to get out of it. For curiosity sake, I looked at what had happened to the house that was eventually sold to someone else. It had dropped 10k in value in 3 years. A nearby house 1500 sq ft larger sold for 40k more than we were going to pay. The development has changed hands twice in the intervening 3 years and went from a high end to a major nationwide tract builder. When purchasing in Naples, its important to realize there is a lot of excess inventory caused by overbuilding. Your best bet, IMHO, is to stick to a highly desirable existing area like the Vineyards, which has stable prices. We eventually wound up in PVB and prices have increased 15-20% in the same time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 12:04 PM

62 posts, read 61,297 times
I almost bought in Saturnia Lakes, and am glad I didn't - that traffic on Immokalee would drive me crazy - but it's the same old story that you could keep going east and buy something new for the price of used further west.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
In a development, for the first few years the resale value of a “used” home will nearly always be less than new construction unless there is limited inventory to keep demand high, and/or something to differentiate the development (location or amenities).

As has been mentioned, inventory is high, new construction is continuing and many of the new communities aren’t much different than others.

We built in 2014 and sold in 2018 for less. As it was a corporate relo we were easily made whole, but I’ve seen other properties sell for more because they were patient, found the right buyer and didn’t overbuild (we did to an extent.)

In many communities if you go “builder grade” for your selections (but still tasteful) and limit what else you put into it, you should still end up ahead over a few years. Especially in desirable communities that are being closed out.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
It also depends on your personal timeline.

We built new, “smart home” , upgraded a lot on interior features vs. builders basic but not highest end. Passed on the bird cage/pool/sauna/ 2nd story deal.

We plan on passing the home onto the kids so our hozizon is long and we will let them enjoy the home value appreciation. Heck, they may even want to keep it as a vacation home when we are gone.

Some may need fast appreciation whilst others are fine if value holds over longer term.

I just plan on enjoying where we are for as long as we can.

Good luck with your needs.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:52 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
We bought in the Vineyards 2 1/2 years ago. I felt we got a good deal at the time. We looked at the entire past history of homes sold in the community and ended up paying close to the lowest historical value. Today I believe we can get more money than we paid. We are happy! But, you never know what the future holds.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
We liked several communities like the Vineyards, but them felt we would need to remodel/update to suit our tastes. When factoring in those costs, we felt that new construction was a better option as we did not think we could recoup much of the investment when remodeling an existing home.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
We bought in the Vineyards 2 1/2 years ago. I felt we got a good deal at the time. We looked at the entire past history of homes sold in the community and ended up paying close to the lowest historical value. Today I believe we can get more money than we paid. We are happy! But, you never know what the future holds.
Vineyards is such a wonderful community. My son played in his first kids golf tournament there on Saturday and it was VERY well kept. Yes its private, but the whole area was very nice.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM

521 posts, read 870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundarr457 View Post
three years ago we almost built a new house in naples. By an act of our guardian angel, we were able to get out of it. For curiosity sake, i looked at what had happened to the house that was eventually sold to someone else. It had dropped 10k in value in 3 years. A nearby house 1500 sq ft larger sold for 40k more than we were going to pay. The development has changed hands twice in the intervening 3 years and went from a high end to a major nationwide tract builder. When purchasing in naples, its important to realize there is a lot of excess inventory caused by overbuilding. Your best bet, imho, is to stick to a highly desirable existing area like the vineyards, which has stable prices. We eventually wound up in pvb and prices have increased 15-20% in the same time period.
pvb?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
pvb?
Ponte Vedra Beach

Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
Well, if Zillow is be be trusted (slightly) my home is up 21% in the past year.

I bet they are off as they really can’t tell since they can not capture what is inside the house i.e. Jenn-Air vs. whatever the big box stores sell, LED interior lighting, whole home dehumidifier, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples