Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:43 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,985,518 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate some time next year. We have several options and the Nashville area is one of them. We have visited and love the area. One requirement is having a decent commute to the airport. The second, which is the more difficult one is finding a school that supports students with learning differences.

We have looked at houses/properties in Lebanon, Franklin, Mt. Juliet, Old Hickory and Gallatin so far. I am not coming up with any well-rated schools that can support learning differences, public or private. Any suggestions or if there are even any options?

Edited to add: high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:36 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,548,619 times
What type of learning difference? One of the best schools in the country for learning differences is Currey Ingram Academy but it is $$$ (but a lot cheaper than similar schools in the northeast).

it took advocacy and dumb luck, but I was happy with the services we got in Williamson county for dyslexia. We would have never gotten services in Metro if we hadn't moved with an existing IEP.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
What type of learning difference? One of the best schools in the country for learning differences is Currey Ingram Academy but it is $$$ (but a lot cheaper than similar schools in the northeast).

it took advocacy and dumb luck, but I was happy with the services we got in Williamson county for dyslexia. We would have never gotten services in Metro if we hadn't moved with an existing IEP.
Several different ones. I looked at Currey Ingram, but I did not see that many good reviews so I was concerned about that. I will have to take a closer look. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 AM

1,683 posts, read 812,470 times
Metro is building a very nice new high school near Bellevue. It opens in 13 months?

https://www.wkrn.com/news/school-boa...ool/1057433188

Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Metro is building a very nice new high school near Bellevue. It opens in 13 months?

https://www.wkrn.com/news/school-boa...ool/1057433188
That high school doesn't seem to have very good ratings.....also, there is nothing specific about learning disabilities that would make me select that school. It may be nice and new, but I really need a school that can help accommodate my child.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 AM

Without knowing the struggles, another school for kids that learn differently is https://www.bentonhallacademy.org/.

Also Franklin Road Academy has decent support for kids with LDs within a traditional prep school environment.

Currey Ingram is the gold-standard in this area though for LDs.

If your child has a IEP or a 504 plan all public schools have to accommodate.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Without knowing the struggles, another school for kids that learn differently is https://www.bentonhallacademy.org/.

Also Franklin Road Academy has decent support for kids with LDs within a traditional prep school environment.

Currey Ingram is the gold-standard in this area though for LDs.

If your child has a IEP or a 504 plan all public schools have to accommodate.
Thank you. I will look into those. Public schools fail miserably with IEPs and 504s. I don't see the TN public schools being much better than where we are now (NC). I was looking for a more unique environment.

For private schools, if they don't specifically accept a student with LD's, they require an entrance exam and that is what halts us from getting into certain schools as my child does not test well at all.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Thank you. I will look into those. Public schools fail miserably with IEPs and 504s. I don't see the TN public schools being much better than where we are now (NC). I was looking for a more unique environment.

For private schools, if they don't specifically accept a student with LD's, they require an entrance exam and that is what halts us from getting into certain schools as my child does not test well at all.
Some schools do require an entrance exam. For example FRA requires the ISEE but under the ADA the ISEE provide accommodations. My son has dyslexia, he got time and half to take his exam. Depending on the need the accommodations vary. The FRA application asks for copies of the IEP, etc.

I only know TN for IEPs but compared to friends in other states, I can't really complain about the services we got in Williamson County. I always looked at it as a team effort vs an adversarial and only once did I leave an IEP meeting pissed and two weeks later my son's file holder advocated for him because she learned of a new program that seemed like it would be a good fit for him. She asked me to waive my 10 day notice for another meeting and he started the new program right away. We were in Williamson County. I had to advocate a little more for my son when we moved to Metro but he got what he needed and really flourished last year despite having to put on my lawyer hat for a couple calls to make sure his IEP was being implemented.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Some schools do require an entrance exam. For example FRA requires the ISEE but under the ADA the ISEE provide accommodations. My son has dyslexia, he got time and half to take his exam. Depending on the need the accommodations vary. The FRA application asks for copies of the IEP, etc.

I only know TN for IEPs but compared to friends in other states, I can't really complain about the services we got in Williamson County. I always looked at it as a team effort vs an adversarial and only once did I leave an IEP meeting pissed and two weeks later my son's file holder advocated for him because she learned of a new program that seemed like it would be a good fit for him. She asked me to waive my 10 day notice for another meeting and he started the new program right away. We were in Williamson County. I had to advocate a little more for my son when we moved to Metro but he got what he needed and really flourished last year despite having to put on my lawyer hat for a couple calls to make sure his IEP was being implemented.
Thank you, that is very helpful. I have been a huge advocate for my child, but the services here are severely lacking; they are just status quo. I am just hoping to find a school where my child can flourish and they really understand her needs. She has an IEP, but I'm tired of hearing that she just needs to apply herself. She has documented LD's. I'm looking for a school that has a different approach.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 PM

18 posts, read 18,055 times
Currey Ingram is a very good school, Tami. We have friends who send their kids their and are extremely happy with the education. Benton Hall, FRA and a few others might be options as well.

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville