Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 63,001 times

Advertisements

Good morning!
My husband & I currently reside in Sacramento, Ca with our 4 kids (ages 4,7,9,15). My husband has been interviewing for a position in a town South of Nashville (Franklin).

The job pays about $10,000 less annually than what he currently makes, however, we have been doing research and it appears that the cost of living is overall lower in Nashville, and there is no income tax. I think we would just about break even there.....?

We currently pay $750 for a 1000 sq ft 3 bd 1 ba home in an area in central Sacramento (Oak Park, we call it the Compton of Sacramento) that has high crime and a lot of "activity."
We moved here 2 years ago from a suburb, to save money. For the 1st year, everything was fine, then the crime started up. Lots of prostitution, drug dealers, and people fighting in the streets. Our kids can't play in the neighborhood and it's not safe to go outside after dark.

Our main motivation for wanting to leave the area is that we want to raise our kids in a safe community, with good schools. Our kids attend a public prep school that is the best in the area, but I have read that schools in Williamson County are awesome!

I myself, grew up in a small close-knit farming community about 30 minutes from the city of Sacramento in Northern California. I miss the small town feel.

I would prefer to live outside of Nashville, in a suburb, but we do not want to spend a ton of rent or have a commute to Franklin that is more than 30 or so minutes. We'd like to stay at about $1000 for rent, if at all possible.

Is there an area that you might suggest we look?
I'm also curious to know if anyone has moved from Northern California to the Nashville area & what your experience has been? Also, and this is a silly question, but my husband & I are both tattooed (my husband heavily) but we are non drinkers, etc and bring our kids up with manners & rules....California is very liberal when it comes to appearances, will this be a problem in Tennessee?

Thank you so much for your time & help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I used to live in Sacramento, sorry to hear about the uptick in crime. Nashville would be a big change as that whole SF Bay area has really grown to include Davis and Sacramento to some extent. You would not have to go far here in Nashville to find some peace and quiet.

That said, the rental market here is pretty tight and to find a 3 bedroom (at least?) apartment in the $1,000 range might be tough.

Franklin is a beautiful little town about 15 - 20 minutes south of Nashville. All the shopping (malls, etc.) is in Cool Springs - pretty much everything you could possibly want although we don't yet have an H&M.

There is no income tax but the sales tax (even on food) is kind of high.

Schools in Williamson County are the best in the state. I know CA has great schools but if there is a lot of crime that really detracts from the learning. From what you wrote, I think you'd find crime here to be a lot less.

I don't think the tatts would be an issue.

I'd say the hardest thing (which is true for anyone moving here) will be affordable housing.

Here is a house for rent in Spring Hill (20 minutes south of Franklin) but it's almost $1300:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

And just for example, this is an apartment complex that has some 3 bedrooms available but they would run at least $1200 on the low end.

http://www.udr.com/CommunityOverview.aspx?pid=11615

Hopefully some others will chime in with other ideas . . . maybe your husband can negotiate a cost of living differential where you explain that your housing will cost another $500 a month here than it did in Sacramento????

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

I think we have some wiggle room with rent, because we just paid our last car payment
Also, the average rent in our area is closer to $1100 but we know our landlord & take very good care of the house for a very low rent.

I was hoping my husband would be able to negotiate a slightly higher income.....we'll see.....

Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,862 times
My husband and I are NorCal born and raised. We moved to Franklin 11 years and love it here. I can't imagine your tattoos will be an issue.

You might check apartments in Fairview. Still Williamson County schools, but less expensive than Franklin, and not a terrible commute. It's a rural suburb, which sounds like a fit for your family.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanks, I will look into that area.

Can anyone recommend some property management companies with websites?

We like the idea of a somewhat rural town, and don't mind having to drive 20 minutes to the store, etc, we would like to rent a house or even a pre-fab home on a good size piece of property for the kids to be able to run around

Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Here is a house in Fairview. Check with the listed listing agent for other possibilities. For property management companies you'll have to use Google.

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Tattoos will not be an issue. I'm still "shocked" at how many tattoos I see at our community pool, but I grew up very waspy conservative.

I would look towards Spring Hill or even a little more rural areas of Williamson County like Bethesda.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
Good morning!

We currently pay $750 for a 1000 sq ft 3 bd 1 ba home in an area in central Sacramento (Oak Park, we call it the Compton of Sacramento) that has high crime and a lot of "activity."

At first I was like no way too cheap for Sacramento...

Then I saw Oak Park lol.

I have lived in both Northern California (sf, modesto) and Nashville.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,832 times
Default You will love it here in TN. I moved from MA and it is so much cheaper to live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
Good morning!
My husband & I currently reside in Sacramento, Ca with our 4 kids (ages 4,7,9,15). My husband has been interviewing for a position in a town South of Nashville (Franklin).

The job pays about $10,000 less annually than what he currently makes, however, we have been doing research and it appears that the cost of living is overall lower in Nashville, and there is no income tax. I think we would just about break even there.....?

We moved here 2 years ago from a suburb, to save money. For the 1st year, everything was fine, then the crime started up. Lots of prostitution, drug dealers, and people fighting in the streets. Our kids can't play in the neighborhood and it's not safe to go outside after dark.

Our main motivation for wanting to leave the area is that we want to raise our kids in a safe community, with good schools. Our kids attend a public prep school that is the best in the area, but I have read that schools in Williamson County are awesome!

I myself, grew up in a small close-knit farming community about 30 minutes from the city of Sacramento in Northern California. I miss the small town feel.

I would prefer to live outside of Nashville, in a suburb, but we do not want to spend a ton of rent or have a commute to Franklin that is more than 30 or so minutes. We'd like to stay at about $1000 for rent, if at all possible.

Is there an area that you might suggest we look?
I'm also curious to know if anyone has moved from Northern California to the Nashville area & what your experience has been? Also, and this is a silly question, but my husband & I are both tattooed (my husband heavily) but we are non drinkers, etc and bring our kids up with manners & rules....California is very liberal when it comes to appearances, will this be a problem in Tennessee?

Thank you so much for your time & help!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
At first I was like no way too cheap for Sacramento...

Then I saw Oak Park lol.

I have lived in both Northern California (sf, modesto) and Nashville.

Lol, yeah. We lived in Placer county, Ca & paid $1200 for a teeny condo previously. Now I know why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville