Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

A family member of mine is looking to move from Long Island, NY to Nashville, TN. She has visited nashville loved the area, wants a change of pace now that she is graduating college. The cost of rent for apartments seems considerably less expensive than on Long Island as well as pretty much everything else (taxes, car registrations, gas etc.) I know work salary in Nashville though is also considerably lower than pay in long island. I guess if anyone has advice on what the job market is like in Nashville.. how available are jobs? What is the likelihood of being able to get a job before making the move? What do you think would be some of the biggest differences, and hardest adjustments for making a move from Long Island to Nashville? What are good areas to look for a single bedroom apartment and the pricing in these areas? Also, when looking into jobs what type of salary is considered comfortable for living Nashville? I guess im just trying to make a pros and cons list for her and want to find out as much information as possible.. so any information would be helpful, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
All great questions but not something easily answered. What SORT of job is your relative looking for? Country singer? Burger flipper? Heart surgeon? Dog walker? Registered nurse? And even if we knew that, getting a job in this day and age is tough everywhere, so it really depends on your relatives skill set for their preferred profession. I don't think it would be any easier or harder than most other places, unless she wanted to play guitar and sing. Then, I'd say there's a LOT of competition.

In terms of rent, it depends on where the job is? I mean, I would wait until I had a job before I picked out an apartment or you could really end up with a long commute. I'd budget $1000 on average. Yes, you can find apartments more and less expensive but I'd say $1000 is an average.

"Comfortable Living" wage is different for different people. Does she like to eat out a lot? Go to bars? Have a car loan? Like to shop at Nordstroms or is she happy with shabby chic? Does she shop at Whole Foods or the Dollar Store? (we have both!)

Biggest difference is probably the weather . . and I'd like to say the traffic, but have only been on LIE once or twice and we probably have similar traffic here on certain roads. I think we have more alternative ways to get somewhere than you might have on Long Island.

As far as salaries go, you can Google "heart surgeon salary Nashville" and find websites that will give you an average for the area.

I know you are trying to help, but the more specific you can get the more specific the answer.

Is she considering other cities for this change of pace? If not, how did she decide on Nashville???

PS. Depending on her profession, I think finding a job from afar is tough . . . unless it's a very sought after skill.

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 10-14-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,388 times
Thank you for the response! She has her degree in psychology looking to start off working in administrative assistant positions preferably in universities to eventually further her education in higher education. She's going to do further research in hr job field in December once she graduates and has more time.

She visited Nashville this passed June but was mainly around i guess the downtown area? By Broadway and LP field, she wants to take another trip to see more of Nashville and the different areas in January.

She is pretty open about where she wants to move, she just really wants out of Long Island and when she went to Nashville she liked the environment and felt she could see herself there. She is going to be applying to entry level jobs in Boston, Dallas, and Nashville (i believe were her top 3) But she ideally would love to live in Nashville.

The biggest thing is she doesn't want to move somewhere without having a job first which makes sense but she doesn't understand how hard it can be to get a job when you are not living there unless it is a transfer that can make things a little easier.. Also, at $1000 average rent and usually a lower salary pay in TN compared to NY that's really tough to afford. She doesn't have a car loan as of right now.. but she still has to cover car insurance, phone bill, rent, food (which she eats all healthy, organic foods so her food shopping is a little pricier)

Well, thanks for your help and if you have any suggestions on places for her to see when she goes in January that would be great

Old 10-15-2013, 06:24 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
Well, of the 3 cities, I think Boston would be the most pricey if she wanted to actually live IN the city, followed by Nashville, then Dallas? That would be my guess. I love Boston but it CAN get cold. Of course it has a LOT of colleges/universities and would be closer to home.

I guess if I were her I would visit any university she might be considering attending. Maybe if she was actually enrolled she'd have a better chance of getting a work/study job. I don't think she'd have much luck getting an administrative assistant job long distance as those are fairly entry level. But I guess she could try . . .

If she has only been downtown/LP Field then she should look at the burbs. Downtown Franklin, the Cool Springs area, she should check out both Whole Foods (one in Franklin, one in Green Hills). Maybe even look at some apartments just to see what she could get for her budget, whatever she deems that to be. Possibly the Bellevue area? East Nashville is funky but up and down in terms of 'gentrification' but some great restaurants and shops. The area near Vanderbilt University is fun . . the Belcourt Theater and the Pancake Pantry - can't remember what it is called. Someone help me!!?? Is it West End????

Driving around would give her a good feel for traffic, etc. Nashville kind of has spokes that go out in various directions and I find it sort of easy to navigate. The Green Hills mall is high end - but a nice place to spend a couple hours if it's cold when she is here.

I just read another Taylor Swift soundbite where she said that it seems like everyone who comes here, really likes it. She was referring to her friend Ed Sheeran, who recently relocated to Nashville from the UK. If she watches the show "Nashville" - there is a Grayline tour on Sundays that she might get a kick out of!

Old 10-20-2013, 02:38 PM

38 posts, read 86,285 times
I am a native Upstate NYorker and the hardest adjustments for me was no real winters ( love snow, not ice) and the buckle of the bible belt (very everywhere, cliquey at times, and conservative.

But good luck and I hope you enjoy it... for me, 10 years has been enough and I will enjoying moving to Ohio next year closer to what I feel is the comfort of the North
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: