Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,508 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
First, a big "thank you" to everyone who regularly participates in this forum. We have gained a great deal of insight by reading previous posts here. Now we are hoping to obtain a little more information specific to our family needs.

We are currently a family of 3 (and will be adding some more over the next couple of years), located in suburbs outside Houston, TX. My wife is a young professional, and will be getting transferred to the Nashville area in Summer 2014. Her employer's office is located in Brentwood, so we are currently looking at suburbs south of Nashville, but I assure you that the immediate surrounding area is outside of our price range. I will be completing my education as a doctor at that time (with a "boatload" of debt), most likely seeking employment in private practice in whatever area we end up living in.

In order to keep things affordable while paying off loans, we are willing to look for housing up to $200k, but would prefer something more in the $150k range if possible. Housing requirements are single family home, 3+ bedroom (4 would be preferred), and a yard. Safe neighborhood is a must. We would prefer an area within walking distance to a park/playground, but it's not a necessity. Our daughter will be 4 years old when we move, so schools are also a strong consideration. We are also not "city people" so a slower-paced area that still has a few restaurants, grocery stores, etc.. would be desirable.

It seems that for surrounding areas like Franklin, and Nolensville, we'd be hard pressed to find housing at our income level. Perhaps Murfreesboro has a lot to offer in terms of our "wish list," but google maps do no justice to an actual region and associated commute times. Would the daily commute to Brentwood be too much? Are Antioch or Smyrna areas that people would feel safe and comfortable living in with a young family? Would it provide a bearable commute?

Any information you all can provide for us (including recommendations for other suburbs we haven't mentioned) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
Williamson County has a reputation for good schools. You might want to consider Spring Hill, which is south of Franklin. See my next post for houses in your price range. The website to look on is realtracs.com.

Fieldstone Farms in Franklin has a floor plan with 3 bedrooms, and sometimes 3 bedrooms and a bonus room, that would fall at the top of your price range. But these houses are very small. You'll get more square footage in Spring Hill.

I might not be correct in my perception, but I always find East - West commutes busier than North - South commutes (except for 24 which is it's own traffic nightmare). I think because Nashville has 'spokes' going out from the center, there are more options to for going north - south than there are going east - west.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Spring Hill homes for $150,000 to $200,000 with at least 3 bedrooms:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 11-10-2013, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 15,483 times
Hi, I've lived in Nashville, Franklin/Brentwood and Murfreesboro.

As far as safety goes, there is nowhere in Williamson county to be wary of. If you could find somewhere cheap enough in Franklin or Brentwood that would be ideal for you. There aren't a whole lot of options in that price range, but you can probably find one. Murfreesboro is mostly a college town, and anywhere near campus is going to be a concern. I believe there are safer areas around the outskirts of town in the suburbs, but the commute will be a pain. Murfreesboro, is however the cheapest. In Nashville, if you're looking for a safe bet, the southern and western parts are the places to look. The sketchier areas are in east Nashville and north Nashville. In East Nashville, there is however, a couple nice neighborhoods worth checking out. I would look into Inglewood.

But yes, like the poster above me, I would look into Spring Hill. Also, Bellevue is a nice place that might fit your budget.

I personally would not want to live in Antioch. It's a relatively shady area and there is nothing pretty about it. It is however, cheap and convenient. Smyrna will be cheap but bland.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
I work in Brentwood, and have friends at work who drive from in Spring Hill, Thompson's Station & Columbia. The drive can be a grind.

I would recommend looking at Fairview.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Fairview is closer than Spring Hill? Seems further to me but maybe that's because it's back roads.

Here are houses in your price range in Fairview:

Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearauntsally View Post
Hi, I've lived in Nashville, Franklin/Brentwood and Murfreesboro.

As far as safety goes, there is nowhere in Williamson county to be wary of. If you could find somewhere cheap enough in Franklin or Brentwood that would be ideal for you. There aren't a whole lot of options in that price range, but you can probably find one. Murfreesboro is mostly a college town, and anywhere near campus is going to be a concern. I believe there are safer areas around the outskirts of town in the suburbs, but the commute will be a pain. Murfreesboro, is however the cheapest. In Nashville, if you're looking for a safe bet, the southern and western parts are the places to look. The sketchier areas are in east Nashville and north Nashville. In East Nashville, there is however, a couple nice neighborhoods worth checking out. I would look into Inglewood.

But yes, like the poster above me, I would look into Spring Hill. Also, Bellevue is a nice place that might fit your budget.

I personally would not want to live in Antioch. It's a relatively shady area and there is nothing pretty about it. It is however, cheap and convenient. Smyrna will be cheap but bland.

Not that the OP is interested as they stated they were looking into the suburbs, but there are many more nice neighborhoods in East Nashville than a couple. Edgefield, Lockeland Springs, Eastwood Neighbors, Rolling Mill, Rosebank, and the aftermentioned Inglewood. I would say that McFerrin and Cleveland Park are up and coming but the price points are already getting so high for (especially pre-war) housing that "transitional" may be a better term. Also, the Gra Mar and the Maplewood area on the East Side of Ellington Prky is starting to boom a bit like the rest of East Nashville. Some really nice ranch style houses on big lots with big mature trees and close to the amentities of East Nashville and downtown. Wow, I sound like a real estate agent.

Last edited by yank283; 11-10-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 14,508 times
Thank you all for the great feedback so far! This certainly provides us a better idea of the area, and gives us more information on where to look.

For those suggesting Spring Hill, it certainly looks like housing would be affordable there. Does anyone know how long the commute would be into Brentwood? How would this commute compare to Fairview, which also looks like it would meet our housing requirements?

For those discussing East Nashville suburbs, I've seen others in the past recommend some good neighborhoods with good schools, but I've also read that rush-hour traffic would make the daily commute to Brentwood unbearable for my wife.

For the past 4 years we've been battling traffic driving into downtown Houston from the suburbs (between 45-60 minutes one way, every day depending on weather/traffic). If we moved somewhere that we had to do the same... I don't think my wife would ever forgive me!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,626 times
I hear you on the commute LiftedUp, not fun. Actually East Nashville is not really considered the suburbs as the neighborhoods are pretty close to downtown. Inglewood would have been called a streetcar suburb around the 1930's I suppose. The suburbs east of Nashville would include Donelson, Hermitage, Mt Juliet, & Lebanon. I'm guessing the commute to Brentwood could get pretty hairy from that direction. Anyway, good luck with your move.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Fairview is closer than Spring Hill? Seems further to me but maybe that's because it's back roads.

Here are houses in your price range in Fairview:

I didn't say it was closer. I was referring to traffic congestion, specifically I-65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville