Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amp?
Yay 21 65.63%
Nay 6 18.75%
Undecided 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,953 times

Advertisements

To be honest I don't think the well off people in West Nashville are going to use the amp, it seems the working class use public transportation in this city much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot1 View Post
How is the AMP supposed to work anyways? Does it have to stop at redlights and other traffic laws like a bus does?
From what I understand, it will have it's own dedicated lanes, and will have signal priority along the route. I don't know if that means it would never stop at a traffic light, but I'm guessing it would be designed to sync up in a way where the traffic lights ahead of it would stop when the buses are at the stations.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
To be honest I don't think the well off people in West Nashville are going to use the amp, it seems the working class use public transportation in this city much more.
I don't think you'll see much ridership out of the folks along West End Ave between 440 and St Thomas...but I do think it will get some use from the office workers in the Vanderbilt area.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I don't think you'll see much ridership out of the folks along West End Ave between 440 and St Thomas...but I do think it will get some use from the office workers in the Vanderbilt area.
I think what you say is true now, but 10 years from now may be a different story. I can't help but notice how many of the outspoken critics of the AMP who live in those areas by St Thomas are >60. It's a neighborhood that largely made up of older people; people who bought in their 30s and 40s 20-30 years ago when those neighborhoods started rising again. There is going to be a lot of turnover in that neighborhood in the next decade or two and the new residents will be transit riders and supporters.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 PM

263 posts, read 614,402 times
I hope AMP is a major success. I like BRT more than LRT. The latter is quite inflexible and assumes that population centers are static. Having park-and-ride can help alleviate that to an extent, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take BRT (almost) every time.

Ideally, of course, a good city bus system, an extensive system of sidewalks, LRT (with park-and-ride!), commuter heavy rail, and BRT should all work together efficiently. Nashville is on its way. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM

256 posts, read 482,429 times
Does MTA provide ridership percentages for their routes? I see a lot of buses that aren't filled as I drive around town. Seems like 10-20% max. I'd hate to see the AMP come in and be a ghost town.

Light rail transit (LRT) is the way to go. I watched the LTR in Sacramento grow from just a little bit of track to being the eleventh busiest light rail system in the United States. In 1987 the 18.3-mile (29.5 km) light rail “starter line” opened, linking the northeastern (Interstate 80) and eastern (Highway 50) corridors with Downtown Sacramento. As light rail ridership increased, RT continued to expand the light rail system. They carry almost 14 million passengers a year. In a lot of ways, I often see Nashville and Sacramento as somewhat similar cities.

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They started small, and just built onto it, extending it farther and farther into the suburbs. Nashville could easily follow the same process.

Nashville needs to get on this sooner than later. Biggest hurdle with LRT is, it won't be cheap. Though that doesn't seem to be a problem for Metro with some of their projects.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitymike View Post
Does MTA provide ridership percentages for their routes? I see a lot of buses that aren't filled as I drive around town. Seems like 10-20% max. I'd hate to see the AMP come in and be a ghost town.

Light rail transit (LRT) is the way to go. I watched the LTR in Sacramento grow from just a little bit of track to being the eleventh busiest light rail system in the United States. In 1987 the 18.3-mile (29.5 km) light rail “starter line” opened, linking the northeastern (Interstate 80) and eastern (Highway 50) corridors with Downtown Sacramento. As light rail ridership increased, RT continued to expand the light rail system. They carry almost 14 million passengers a year. In a lot of ways, I often see Nashville and Sacramento as somewhat similar cities.

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They started small, and just built onto it, extending it farther and farther into the suburbs. Nashville could easily follow the same process.

Nashville needs to get on this sooner than later. Biggest hurdle with LRT is, it won't be cheap. Though that doesn't seem to be a problem for Metro with some of their projects.
I probably would prefer LTR also, but we have to take the best alternative out there. As far as it not being cheap, neither is highway construction and road maintenance (which is paid for by tax dollars) and BRT could always be converted to LRT in the future. Even though people will be technically riding on buses, you can't really compare MTA to a mass transit system. The efficiency and convenience of BRT will appeal to wider potential ridership than MTA buses. I'm afraid the new baseball stadium will eventually be approved but will "derail" starting mass transit in Nashville. We need to get our priorities in line here.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoncraig View Post
the mistakes cities like Houston and Atlanta have made but I find it funny when people say, the city is becoming like Atlanta when it is not even close.

I would like to see the contributor expound on what mistakes Houston has made since it is where I live. Or does this literally mean cities like Houston but not Houston itself? Help me out here.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:17 AM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I would like to see the contributor expound on what mistakes Houston has made since it is where I live. Or does this literally mean cities like Houston but not Houston itself? Help me out here.
Atlanta, and to a lesser degree Houston and other sunbelt cities, is known for uncontrolled growth of suburban style developments which further expand the metro area but do it in a very unsustainable way. Instead of building more high density developments in the core they built more low-moderate density housing at the periphery. This creates traffic nightmares since someone living in the suburbs will drive many more miles to work than their urban living coworker. It also sets up a type of development that is difficult to serve with mass transit because of the low density quality of suburban developments.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Atlanta, and to a lesser degree Houston and other sunbelt cities, is known for uncontrolled growth of suburban style developments which further expand the metro area but do it in a very unsustainable way. Instead of building more high density developments in the core they built more low-moderate density housing at the periphery. This creates traffic nightmares since someone living in the suburbs will drive many more miles to work than their urban living coworker. It also sets up a type of development that is difficult to serve with mass transit because of the low density quality of suburban developments.

Don't see how this exposes Houston's "mistakes".

Could it be that "uncontrolled growth of suburban style developments" really means that some lucky person or group favored by the contributor gets to control other people who want to live in a certain way, if this "uncontrolled" situation is to be curtailed? And this lucky group, in control as of course they should be, assure us that they know what is "unsustainable" so that we will be OK with them dictating to us what not to do with our land?

I guess I can look forward, that we will be so much better off after being educated into the precise definition of "unsustainable" as these noble folks know it to be. I'm sure these folks also want to tell developers how tall buildings in Green Hills and midtown are allowed to be. So we get that high density, the solution to the low density, is really not good either. But the important thing is that we all appreciate their thinking on this too.

And I'll be on the lookout for articles in Fodor's or other places mentioning Atlanta or Houston as being "known for uncontrolled growth of suburban style developments".

Last edited by groovamos; 11-29-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville