Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 07:50 PM

91 posts, read 131,150 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I were looking at buying new construction home from Ryan builders in Franklin (Stream Valley neighborhood). Was curious if anyone had experience with them and had any input. Online feedback is mixed, there are some scary stories out there. Any thoughts would be great.

Vik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM

78 posts, read 137,433 times
I am in the construction/real estate field. I flipped a Ryan home once (this is in upstate NY, not TN) and man I was very surprised at the low quality everything. Ryan is notorious for cutting corners and doing things as cheap as possible.

If you notice, all of their light fixtures will be the cheezy-boxy type which can double as the electrical box, this allows them to skip putting in electrical boxes which saves labor. Not a huge deal if you like the light but you will need install a retrofit box.

Check the foundation too. The one we flipped had a nice settling crack in it, despite being less than 10 years old. The furnace was also dead but, that may not have been their fault (although I'm sure they buy the cheapest furnaces they can find)

O and the garage. It was sheathed with this industrial strength cardboard stuff. I have never seen it before or since, but the edges of it looked exactly like corrugated cardboard. A quality home would at least have 7/16ths OSB.

I personally would never buy a Ryan home. But that's just me. Maybe they are better in TN?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:43 AM

91 posts, read 131,150 times
Thanks for the note, does anyone else have any feedback?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,088,451 times
Well, I don't have any feedback on Ryan . . but I do know that sometimes it comes down to the local construction guys. Some are good and careful and diligent and some aren't. AND I have heard some real horror stories about some of these huge McMansion houses being improperly built.

But, if the builder is using builders grade light fixtures, sinks, etc . . . you can probably tell. And if you are having the house built you should be able to upgrade. You could request a home inspection on one of the houses that is already built which might give you some idea of the quality (and no, not the model). The other thing is to be on top of it . . seriously. Go every day to see what they are doing, if you can.

The woman I bought my little house in Fieldstone Farms from was a RE agent, and she told me she would drive by every other day or so to 'catch' things. I know she requested the foundation to be higher as when she drove by the lot had standing water. She had cable TV installed in every room (not kidding) and fans as well. There are things that will be cheaper if you have them built in in advance.

And if you can swing it, DON'T sign off on the house at the closing unless everything is PERFECT and the way you want it. My folks were in a hotel with the dog and had to move in, even though a lot of what they asked for was not done (like a tub instead of a walk in shower).

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,049 times
I remember walking through a Ryan home up in Chicago back around 2005. It felt and looked like the crappiest house you could possibly put up as quickly as possible. It was about 50% worse than Pulte, and we thought they were bad.

We've driven through Stream Valley and the houses don't look much better than those we saw 8 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: