Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:10 AM

34 posts, read 75,209 times

Advertisements

So I thought this would be interesting, especially for those of us moving to Nashville soon. What is something you didn't know about nashville until you moved there? Or for those of y'all who are from there, what's a quirky thing that you feel is unique to nashville?

For example, I just learned that supposedly you can't buy wine in grocery stores there? Here in richmond you can buy wine at wal mart!

Anyway, just thought this would be fun. I'm so anxious to visit Nashville, as we are moving there this fall. My husbands been a few times, but all I have to go on are photos and this forum. All I can think about is Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,341,054 times
As a native, I did not know that Nashville is home to the largest vinyl record pressing plant in the nation, United Record Pressing.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,624 times
I knew that Nashville was Music City, I was not aware that the biggest industry here was Health Care and I work for one of the biggest. Every major player (and most of the mid level and smaller players too) seems to have a corporate presence here.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:16 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,481 times
The wine in grocery stores is to be voted on the next ballet. no big deal, the wine drinkers can find it at any spirits shop.
one on every corner.
Traffic is the biggest disappointment for me since moving to middle TN. Nashville is a nightmare during rush hour. Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves? Six inbound interstates and connecting together in the loop around downtown.
Engineering at it's best........

Old 09-07-2014, 12:43 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
On a down note, I didn't realize the impact that the Hall Tax (on interest and dividend income from investments) would have on my Mom when we moved here. Certainly something to consider if you have stock.

Plus side, I had no idea that Nashville would start showing up on so many lists as a great place to live and eat! Before I visited, I thought it was just gonna be about country music and line dancing and boots. It really does have a lot of culture, and visual artists, not just musicians.

I did research the cost of electricity vs CT, but am always quite happy with my electric bill!

I didn't know that the friendliness at my local Publix would spread out to the entire city.

Also hadn't realized that until fairly recently (late 80's), Lower Broad was full of ladies of the night and homeless people, following the move of the Grand Ole Opry out of the Ryman.

Now that I know the Opry show is broadcast on radio and the internet, I don't have to deal with the traffic over there to hear the stars from "Nashville" (starting back up on Sept 24th) sing!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Random question.. Do y'all have to put license plates on the front of your cars? Here in Va you do..but I know some states you don't. My husband would be very excited to get a titans plate for the front of our cars!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:46 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
No, you don't have to have a license plate on the front of your car. TN has a lot of specialty plates available, including a Titans plate. You can check them out here:

Sports

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 09-07-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-07-2014, 02:36 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times
I didn't know gas/electric would be more expensive than California. Or car insurance.

On the plus, I'm very happy and surprised that real estate has gone up so much in the past 18 months.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenewcomb9 View Post
Random question.. Do y'all have to put license plates on the front of your cars? Here in Va you do..but I know some states you don't. My husband would be very excited to get a titans plate for the front of our cars!

TN is a 1 plate state

You may be able to get Titans merch at any sport store or Ebay. Not an official state plate.

When I moved to TN, got a state flag plate to take the spot of the old front plate.

When renewing the registration, we did get state + county date stickers.
Now all you get is the state sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: