Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,274 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Nashville in the spring, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record with the other 'moving to Nashville' threads, here goes:

I've been looking (mostly at townhomes/condos) near the Nashboro golf course, in some of the neighborhoods between there and the lake. I was wondering about airport noise? What direction do the planes usually take off? More difficult to find that I thought... I've also been looking south - near 254 & I65. Sounds like the commute on 24 north is bad from 254 too? Or out by Opryland, but I'm not sure that area is really me.... I'd like to have maybe a 20-30 minute commute, and I'm not to worried about schools, as I have no kids now so needing schools would be at least 6 or 7+ years in the future.

I like the idea of the funkiness of East Nashville or the vibrancy of the vandy area, but it's out of my price range, and I'm wondering about safety at night. Also, I'd like a 3BR, as I'll also need an in-home office....

I'm looking in the $150,000 range, and would like a place that is safe to walk my dog at night (I'm female), and I will be commuting to Music Row. Am I out of my mind, or is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Last edited by fish42; 01-01-2008 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
The prevailing winds here are from the southwest, followed by winds from the northwest. A pilot wants to take off and land into the wind. There are three runways at Nashville International in the southwest/northeast direction (due to the prevailing winds) and one in the northwest/southeast direction.

In general, your best bet would be somewhere in East Nashville within your price range. Just be sure it's in one of the nicer parts. You can find condos and townhouse in that price range in various parts of town; they won't be the largest or nicest ones in town, of course, and it would take a bit of looking, but I think it is possible. The three-bedroom requirement will make it a lot more difficult.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:43 PM

150 posts, read 619,787 times
Default How about renting?

Since you are new to the area, you may want to consider renting in East Nashville or the Vandy area to see if they meet your needs. The Vandy area is definitely more convenient to Music Row, but it would also be more expensive.

I am confident you could find something for $150,000 in East Nashville that would meet your needs, but it could take a little time to find a 3 bedroom at that price. If you rent, you can get a better feel for the more walkable parts and have the time to scope out the perfect buying opportunity.

You might also want to consider Inglewood, which is just north of East Nashville and typically a great place for walking (though sidewalks aren't always available).

Old 01-01-2008, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 12,274 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I've been going back through old posts & threads, and learning a lot (I have been to Nashville and have driven around some but at the time hadn't done much research so will be going back again soon), but I don't see much info on the areas around Percy Priest Lake - specifically near the Nashboro Golf Course (on all sides)...Smith Springs to Woodland Point to Elm Hill...are these areas called something else? Are they too noisy with the airport nearby? More terrible a commute to downtown/Music Row than from somewhere else? There are a lot of places for sale out there, so it makes me wonder why.....

Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 PM

162 posts, read 550,694 times
Fish24, you also have some new three bedroom options off Edmondson Pike near the nippers corner area in Nashville (not far from the Old Hickory side). I might also look in the Hermitage area depending on how close or far from the action you would prefer to be. Some fun new construction options there too. Bellevue has some older but larger choices for you too. All within decent drive times to Music Row.

If you don't mind sharing, when are you looking to move in?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM

625 posts, read 4,570,852 times
East Nashville might work, just make sure to get your concealed carry permit and a gun.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,428 times
Default Condos

Something to consider when looking at condos is the association fee. Three bedrooms will be more of a challenge to find in your price range, but not impossible. But, the older the townhome is, the higher the association fee will be. Plan on anywhere from $65 per month on a new townhome to upwards of $150-180 per month on an older one.

Just something to consider...

Elm Hill Pike and the Percy Priest area have nice options, but the airport noise could be an issue for you. Most people don't have an issue with the noise (they get used to it), so it depends on your level of tolerence.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 19,385 times
I live in the music row area and near the Gluch. I have lived here about 23 yrs are so. I haven't had any problems but sometimes things do happen. Moving to Nashville, I was warned of surtain areas, later found things happen all over the the city. The 3 places I've lived their was good neighbors. So for good neighbors where I live. Their aren't many houses in this area for that price, many were purchased and on the market at higher prices. I will be selling my property soon, right now I have a protential buyer, want know until after the 15th of this month. Anyway if it isn't sold or we continue our arrangement, this property may meet your requirements. I'm selling as is.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 64,564 times
I live right next to music row on Villa Pl in the Edgehill neighborhood. There are currently a couple (small) places for sale in the 130,000 range. I like my neighbors. It has a growing population of professionals and students. However, it also has the Edgehill Homes public housing complex and crime can be an issue. All things considered, it is a great neighborhood to consider for Vandy hippness/location, but at a reasonable price.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,272 times
Moving to the east side of town will make it difficult to travel to Music Row during rush hours. East Nashville can be beautiful with the remodeled older homes but I don't feel it that safe. I grew up in east Nashville and although it has changed it still has many problems crime wise. I suggest you look on the west side of town, Murphy Road area close to Charlotte Pk. It is closer to Music Row. Or even the Music Row area off 12th. You will be in the Vanderbilt U/Peabody student area with professionals and music types. Older area with many remodeled homes but better than East Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville