Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 AM

26 posts, read 29,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Between visiting as a tourist (going to the Ryman, the Grand Ole' Opry, Lower Broad, Cheekwood, the Loveless) and MOVING here, is a 3rd possibility. To visit as a potential resident.

It means you drive around neighborhoods, test commute times, visit grocery stores and see what food prices are, Beer prices, how does a neighborhood look at night? How far is a hospital? Does the grocery store carry your favorite brand of cottage cheese (mine does not!)? Visit a couple of apartment complexes and see apartments in your price range. Meet with a realtor if you are looking to buy - most will at least suggest areas in your price range, if not show you around. Pick up a copy of the local newspaper and freebies. Try the city on for size.

I have moved around a lot and have been able to rule places out just by driving down Main Street or having lunch at a local restaurant.

It's not a perfect science but there are places that will 'hit' you and places where you just don't see yourself living. I think a big move is well worth the price of a visit. Use Airbnb instead of a hotel. Will be cheaper and you can actually meet and talk to a local.
You make some great points! I am going to be relocating, like the OP, and you actually included some things I did not think of when making my visit as a potential resident. So thanks for that!! Great advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:35 AM

647 posts, read 1,523,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
Cheap is a relative term. If you come from say New York City, Nashville is cheap. If you come from some other places maybe it's now.
How expensive is Nashville compared to Dallas?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:34 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Google "cost of living calculator".

Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 29,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Google "cost of living calculator".
WOW! I had not seen this before. (Sorry OP to keep hijacking your post.) Unbelievable how different the cost of living in places is. I am going to be coming to Nashville from the Boston area and just looked to see what's comparable to a 40k salary here, is nearly half that in Nashville!

Groceries 21%less
Housing 56%less
Utilities 35%less
Transportation 12%less
Health Care 33%less

That's too crazy! But such a nice thing to see spread out in actual percentages. Thanks again for the tip!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
How expensive is Nashville compared to Dallas?
Assuming that you are renting, Nashville may be more expensive for you. We looked seriously at moving to Dallas a few years ago, and the biggest difference for us would have been property taxes. Property taxes are much higher in Texas. But the cost of housing is cheaper.

Nashville has seen a big increase in rent in the past couple of years, so comparing like areas, my guess would be that rent is higher.

Some of your government fees (car registration, etc.) will most likely be cheaper. TN doesn't do a lot of fees. And electric bills will likely be cheaper as we don't get the extreme, sustained hot summer days that Dallas does.

I will say that after reading through your other thread, I think you really need to visit before going much further in this process. I would be really careful about moving somewhere that you thought you wouldn't like based on internet recommendations.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Keep in mind that Nashville is in Davidson County, which can be less expensive for buying a house (although property taxes are higher) and a lot of people are moving to Franklin, Spring Hill . . which is in Williamson County where to buy a house is more expensive (schools are considered better).

I moved from CT 4 years ago. Property taxes and utilities and gas (car) were all cheaper. Groceries seemed the same, if not a bit more as food is taxed here and was not in CT.

Also, salaries tend to be less.

Those calculators are helpful, for as far as they go and for what they assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville