Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,708 times

Advertisements

So let me start off by saying I'm in a IR with a white female. We both got a job offer in brentwood that is honestly a little hard to pass up. I'm only asking this question because we took a trip to Ohio to visit her perents recently and while we were there I received ALOT of racist remarks and people were coming up to my fiancee saying stuff like "How can you date that thing" and "Well that's just disgusting" and so on you get the point. I know Ohio is not the south but we're afraid were gonna get the same treatment in the south. A friend of mine who is from Memphis even told me that it wouldn't be to wise to move out there. That although it wouldn't be a tough as Ohio we would still be struggling. I prefer someone who is living in brentwood or nashville to answer this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 04:09 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I have a friend who is Korean (came over in his 20's to learn about the recording industry) who was the musical director for this Korean church, in Brentwood:

NKUMC | Nashville Korean United Methodist Church

He lived in the area for about 5 years, but has since moved to the DC area. He never spoke of feeling discriminated against and it never happened when we would go out to eat or anything. I asked him if he would ever move back to Nashville. He said he missed the South but he has two kids now and would prefer to move to Atlanta as there's a very large Korean population, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. He and his wife would drive down to Atlanta every other month for cooking supplies.

I'll email him and ask about discrimination here, but you could also call and talk to someone at the church. I get the feeling that there is a small but tightly knit Korean population here in Nashville.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times
You will be just fine. NASHVILLE is a major cosmopolitan city.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
You will be just fine. NASHVILLE is a major cosmopolitan city.
That's a little overly optimistic.

I have two sets of now, ex coworkers, both of whom quit and returned to California. One, white and Asian couple (Filipino) and the other, both are Filipino. Comments were received when they were out and they were made to feel not comfortable and ultimately very unhappy, so they left. They did not live in Brentwood but one couple who lived in Franklin and the other in Nashville.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
Why is there no other neighborhood other than Brentwood to live in? Rutherford County has a large and diverse Asian population to the point if you are walking around a Target or Kroger or anywhere else and see a person of Asian heritage, Hispanic, or any other group... people just don't ever even think about it. Murfreesboro/Smyrna/LaVergne are all very diverse and all three have upscale neighborhoods to live in, yes even LaVergne. (Near Rock Springs Elem. School)

Example of a house for sale in that particular area:

Old 11-27-2014, 04:34 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Brentwood has a large Korean population. Korean is the 2d or 3d most common foreign language spoken by families in the school district

Old 11-27-2014, 10:03 AM

65 posts, read 197,632 times
The percentage of asians in Brentwood and in Rutherford county is no where near "large". How can you consider being between 1 - 5% of a population large. And that's just total asians, not only Koreans.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM

1,683 posts, read 811,803 times
The non-white population of Murfreesboro is 25%... In Brentwood it's 10%

That is a big difference.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:25 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Some schools in Brentwood have an Asian population well above the national average. Kenrose, for example, has an Asian population of 18%, which is three times the average Asian population in the US. You will be fine in Brentwood.

And emanresu1- the OP got a job offer in Brentwood and is specifically asking about Brentwood for that reason.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,759 times
Judging frm the maps of the census bureau, West NASHVILLE and South Nashville have the largest populations of Asians. Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville