Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:06 AM

67 posts, read 218,662 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would be interested in knowing what the MNPS school system is like. I currently live in New Jersey, and live in a town with a great school district. I work as a school principal 10 minutes away in a struggling district, and I've seen a few openings for principals in MNPS (most recently an elementary school in Antioch). Would anyone be willing to give some insight on:

* The state of the school system
* How difficult it would be to get an admin position
* How difficult it would be to get a position as a Special Ed teacher (my wife is a Special Ed teacher)
* Whether you need to live in the metro area to work for MNPS
* Whether there are great schools within (or close to) Nashville similar to the quality we see in NJ

I don't know that I would move yet, but I'm interested in exploring the possibility. I have no problem working in an inner-city school myself, but want to ensure a great education for my daughter.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
There is a lot going on in MNPS. Some is great some not so great depending on your ideology.

There is a move to turn many of the schools over to Charters and the ASD (alternate school district). Every year a voucher bill is also proposed. The one this year allows vouchers for everyone including the top rated Williamson County Schools. So generally a lot of politics. I follow Amy Frogge and Will Pinkston on twitter but they tend to be a bit more community schools are best types.

I can't speak to how hard it is to get a job as an admin. I know there is a need fro SpEd. teachers.

I have neighbors who live in Williamson but teach in MNPS. (MNPS tends to pay higher than WCS).

Even WCS doesn't match what the top schools in NJ are doing but it is improving and making great strides towards being on target with other affluent suburbs nation wide.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM

222 posts, read 639,147 times
I work in MNPS, and I can agree that there's a lot going on in this district. Things can vary tremendously from school to school. My school has very involved/dedicated faculty members and parents, and so the school is really good. I chose to send my children to Metro schools, and we were/are really pleased with their education.
You do not have to live within the county to work in the system.
With a new commissioner of education now, and a new mayor and director of schools coming soon, who knows what might happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville