Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
Even with a non-playoff team last year and a coach about to get the pink slip, Nashville had higher attendance than more traditional hockey places such as Colorado, Winnipeg, and NY (Islanders).

Carolina and the Florida Panthers didn't fare so well for the "unusual" markets. They finished well into the last two spots with very poor per-game averages.
To be fair, Winnipeg is limited by arena size. To a degree, Nashville is, too. The barn holds a little over 17,000. There are a lot of prime nights that I don't doubt we could cruise past 18,000, maybe even 19,000 (especially when there's a large visiting crowd), but it is what it is. We have about 98% occupancy. Peg is at 100%, and could likely outdraw us if given the opportunity.

I'm very proud of our numbers, but I'm not quick to point fingers at other markets (well, most other markets) and laugh, given how close we came to losing our team several years ago, and how we basically had to prove that we even have a fanbase.

Carolina is fine -- their team is down, so they have a little bit of an excuse (look at Chicago's attendance in the 'dark years'). Florida? Florida is just pathetic. Tampa knows how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 03:34 AM

215 posts, read 390,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Never thought hockey would work in the South, I was wrong. Not an NHL fan but NHL seems to be working well in Nashville.
I think a lot of southern areas re just in the habit of supporting their "hometown favorites" in sports regardless. Unless they just completely screw up like the Titans

just one example, my grandmother watches Brandt Snedeker now every single time she knows he's in a tournament and roots for him

before that, she never watched or cared for golf or the PGA in her whole life except just occasionally seeing my granddad (RIP) play at McCabe Park or something.

anyway, Memphis has grizzlies and we have the Preds

that is unless of course the Titans can ever get their crap together again, which is next to never at this point.

personally I've always been proud of the Preds even though I usually never watch them, but they did make to the championships. We actually have a damn good hockey team, most the time.

one poster was right. they're like our counter balance to the Titans half the time. I think it helps keep Nashville sane.

Last edited by Tenn82; 02-20-2015 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: