Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 06:29 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
I wonder what that show's ratings are locally compared to the national average. I saw the first two episodes just to see some of the visuals. It seemed like an okay enough show, it just wasn't my thing.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I wonder what that show's ratings are locally compared to the national average. I saw the first two episodes just to see some of the visuals. It seemed like an okay enough show, it just wasn't my thing.
Same here. Made it about half way through the first season, but the soap opera-y plots were just too much for me. The acting and production (and especially music) were great.

There is a lack of authenticity about the whole thing...it's filmed here, but that's not Nashville.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Well, it's not meant to be a documentary . . . it's meant to be entertainment. Even "reality" TV isn't real (Have you seen The Willis Clan?).

The show has a global audience and has been good for business. Tourism has increased in 2013 and 2014. I'm sure the show is responsible for part of that uptick.

Nashville leads way in record-setting year for tourism

Nashville on pace to close out 2014 with record-setting tourism numbers - Nashville Business Journal

If nothing else, when I moved to Nashville in 2010, all my friends said "Nashville????"

And now they say "Nashville!"

Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM

I'm not denying the attention it's given to the city, I'm just grossly ignorant to the show itself. I know a few people that are in it, I hear the music is pretty good and that it's fans are very loyal to the show...it's just not my thing like I said. I don't even know what night it's on or what channel (maybe ABC but I'm not positive).

I definitely agree though that the perception of the city has changed dramatically in the last several years. When I lived in California I got a much different response when I said I was originally from "Nashville" than if I said "Tennessee". If I said Nashville, a lot of times people were intrigued or had stories to share about it or were curious about certain things. It's definitely changed and if the show is helping, good for it.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,372 times
I am an avid Nashville fan. I agree that the format is a soap opera format in that the story lines are ongoing and you cannot really follow it if you have not watched it at all. The storylines are enthralling, though, and the music is phenomenal. I have bought all of the music off of I Tunes since Season 1. The acting is absolutely emmy award worthy. Charles Esten, Hayden Paneittere, Jonathan Jackson, and Connie Britton do an amazing, outstanding job with their characters. I have been in the Nashville area for 20 years and I am a big country music fan, so I am ecstatic that we have this show. It has helped tourism which is wonderful. It is on Wednesday nights on ABC at 9 pm central time. Season 4 starts in September and this fan can't wait.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Ive recorded the show since it first aired. At first I enjoyed the story plots and have always loved the musical talent.

For my part, the music maintains an A+, meanwhile story lines have sunk to barely passing, from my perspective.

I am glad somebody thinks enough of the show as a whole to have a season four, even if I do fast forward thru parts

Old 06-05-2015, 02:13 PM

Maybe I'm just being naive but I don't understand how this show is really doing much to improve the tourism in Nashville. I have a hard time thinking that people come here just because of the show. However even though I don't like country music at all, I admit that it seems country as a genre is reaching all-time popularity in mainstream pop culture, which might be the driving force behind a lot of the sudden influx of visitors in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: