Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:15 PM

160 posts, read 159,633 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm new here in Nashville. I chose it because I feel it's still what it used to be but has managed to grow and maintain its roots. Plus there seems to be people from all over moving here. It makes for some great diversity. But my interaction with the African Americans here reminds me of where I came from. I'm a young African African male who could never quite gel with the African Americans in the city I left. There was a church culture I could not wrap my mind around so I never got involved with one. That's one of the reasons I left actually. I was searching for a place where individuals can thrive. I do believe in God and I grew up religious but over half the African Americans I've met here so far always try to invite me to their church at the end of our conversations. Is that a big deal for African Americans in Nashville? Because quite frankly, no other group has approached me in that manner. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:41 PM

456 posts, read 588,210 times
Christianity is pretty big in general in Nashville. Certainly one of the most Christian metro areas I've seen so far. Maybe Dallas or Birmingham has more.....I don't know. Christianity is just part of the culture here...always has been always will be.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Thank you for responding. So is this a city where people who don't attend church are kinda ostracized?

Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
So is this a city where people who don't attend church are kinda ostracized?
Not necessarily ostracized, but if it's not something you do and you end up hanging around a lot of people who DO attend church, you may naturally feel left out, at least of that activity.

It would be the same as if they all belonged to the same gym but you did not work out. I doubt they would shun you, but it's one less thing you have in common.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM

Ok. Thank you for your input. So in your opinion, from a social aspect, could a non church goer still succeed here and build a network of friends/acquaintances? Or do you believe it will be somewhat difficult? With all the transplants I kinda thought one would come across people with different beliefs and backgrounds.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:19 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,752,356 times
Quote:
Ok. Thank you for your input. So in your opinion, from a social aspect, could a non church goer still succeed here and build a network of friends/acquaintances? Or do you believe it will be somewhat difficult? With all the transplants I kinda thought one would come across people with different beliefs and backgrounds.
You will.

I'm not a regular church goer, and I've done just fine.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:27 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,733,371 times
Quote:
I do not go to church ever and have made many friends, some churchgoing, some not.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,356,482 times
Quote:
You will come across different beliefs and backgrounds. Sometimes you have to branch out a little. You might feel "stuck" if most of your interactions are with a particular group (such as coworkers, sometimes) where there might be a more dominant church culture. Also, depending on where you live, neighborhood or community functions might feel that way as well.

As has been pointed out, Nashville does have a very active church culture, so naturally a lot of social groups will be dominated by active churchgoers. However, that certainly doesn't apply to all groups. My friends are very much a mixed bag when it comes to that, and I don't have a problem with it. I like it that way. Also, just because someone invites you to church does not mean you can't maintain a friendship outside of church. That, of course, depends on the person.

My suggestion would be to find groups that represent your interests. There are all kinds of social clubs, both small and large, where you can build relationships. I'm not African American, but I would imagine that you can find people with common interests where there isn't an overwhelming church culture. Perhaps if you share some of your interests, posters here might be able to nudge you in the right direction with suggestions.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. This is refreshing to hear. I consider myself a live and let live type. It just seemed like a strange pattern I was experiencing ��. I'm in my 30s but I prefer twenty something crowds. Haven't been a bar hopper in a few years. I dig live music and anything that's physical and requires you to be outdoors. I was thinking about joining a gym but I prefer running outside on trails. I've met quite a few people already. Just was trying to gauge different people's level of acceptance here in the city. Traffic here is crazy during the week. Price you pay with growth though. I feel I made a good choice. I look at how people treat others. That's how I choose my circles.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 AM

4,349 posts, read 4,733,371 times
You should check out the East Nasty run club or Nashville Running Company. NRC has stores on the east and west side and both sponsor runs. Also Fleet Feet has a trail running group I think. And there is a group called the Dirtbags who do a training program in Percy Warner Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: