Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 PM

34 posts, read 58,821 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am temporarily staying in Nashville (I technically moved, but it's not permanent). So far, I can't say I do or don't like it. I'm pretty neutral as I didn't come with a ton of expectations and I'm on a trial period especially after having moved from a place that I had intensely fallen out of love in.

I'm not going to nitpick on every issue I'm discovering with Nashville at this point, because it would probably add up to being very annoyed and definitely not wanting to stick around...but the main thing is the alcohol prices.

Now, I'm not a drunk or alcoholic in the sense of the word. But i have gone to a handful of liquor stores and wine brands that I normally see selling for $5.99-.7.99 inother states is selling for $10 and $11. It's hard to find a decent 1.5 L of wine for under $10. And that's too much 2-3 times a week.

Then, the bars here are absolutely RIDICULOUS. I have gone out in 2 separate parts of downtown to a few bars/grills...$7, 8, $9 for a drink in a plastic cup. Or a tiny little glass. I've not seen such stinginess in alcohol since Utah, and that place has the most conservative liquor laws in the country. They pour it by the ounce, and you have to order food with it if you're in a restaraunt or they won't serve you.

You'd think just music city bars would be expensive...but I went to a store front hookah bar in Antioch, and on top of the $10 to get in, it was $5 for a beer and everyone had plastic cups.

That's just not my style. If I'm going to pay $8 for a drink, it needs to be in a regular glass. And I know for safety/cost reasons or whatever, but still...that's just tacky. Go into a beautiful bar, and you get a plastic cup. I just feel Nashville can do better on their presentations here.

I've heard about the alcohol in store bill...hopefully that'll help change things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
A lot of the issue with liquor stores is the high tax on alcohol (IIRC, among the highest in the nation).

I don't buy mixed drinks at bars...but most of the time I can get a decent craft beer for $4-6...sometimes better during happy hour.

I don't go to places that charge a cover, unless they have an awesome band playing or something.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Tennessee taxes, not Nashville specific.

Go out somewhere besides downtown to get drinks in real glasses.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 PM

34 posts, read 58,821 times
Well I did notice the taxes on the wines were out there too. I bought an $11 wine that came up to $13. Ridiculous.

I don't personally go out to "happy hours". I don't work normal hours so most times happy hour is too early for me to want to drink. But, it seems like that's the only time to get a drink "special". I mean, I've not been anywhere yet where they have pitchers of beer or $2 wells. Not to sound cheap, but if I'm just going out by myself or the bar is dead, I'm not trying to spend $6 per 2 or 3 drinks. And I've wasted a bit of change going out to bars here that have been a waste of time but the drink was $9.50. Little ole tiny drink that turned to water in 10 minutes. And there's been twice where a bar has been empty and they look at you, roll their eyes or look like you have 3 eyes when you ask drink special.

Besides, what would they care? I'll tip the same whether I buy a $2 drink or a $12 one. I don't get all this getting an attitude because you ask for a drink special.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 13,039 times
Not sure what city you moved to Nashville from but those drinks are in line with how much you pay for cocktails in most major cities at the popular establishments. I find great bottles of wine at Trader Joe's in other states. I think I heard that wine and beer in stores starts in July, so I'm sure a lot of them will be running specials to get people to bring their business to them.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlnextdoor View Post
Not sure what city you moved to Nashville from but those drinks are in line with how much you pay for cocktails in most major cities at the popular establishments. I find great bottles of wine at Trader Joe's in other states. I think I heard that wine and beer in stores starts in July, so I'm sure a lot of them will be running specials to get people to bring their business to them.
Don't expect the specials to be too special -- from what I understand, the grocery stores aren't going to be able to low ball prices....I believe there is a minimum markup.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:19 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
Prices vary by liquor store too. When I heard we may get a Total Wine and More I compared the prices in their Atlanta store to some things I buy here. Some things were cheaper there and some things were more expensive compared to my local liquor store. I'll admit that the prices at my local store are cheaper than most I've been in. Also....drink prices vary by establishment as well. You pay a premium in tourist areas and upscale places.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:46 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,177 times
Here are the tax rates at the wholesale level.

https://www.tn.gov/revenue/article/a...-and-tax-rates

Then there's a 15% by the drink tax, plus the 9.25% sales taxes on top of that.

That all adds up to one expensive adult beverage.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:21 PM

3,042 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Default Wine in grocery about July 1

Liquor store limit intact as WIGS fix goes to governor | Nashville Post

The WIGS bill is headed to the governor. Stores can buy wine before July 1 to be ready for sales. Limit of 1 big box "wine store" in the state.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Liquor store limit intact as WIGS fix goes to governor | Nashville Post

The WIGS bill is headed to the governor. Stores can buy wine before July 1 to be ready for sales. Limit of 1 big box "wine store" in the state.
So does this mean Publix has to decide which 1 store in the entire state it wishes to stock wine in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville