Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,790 times

Advertisements

Oeople buy wine in a grocery store until this year? And the new law will limit sales to two stores? That's funny. How about beer or hard liquor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow View Post
I haven't moved to Nashville yet, so I don't know anything about the surrounding towns.

..but I guess the subtext of your question is: how do you know minorities might have a problem in small town TN if you don't live here. The answer is I don't. It's possible that a transgender person could walk down any main street in small town TN while wearing a hijab, and not have any problems. I hope that's the case. I wasn't trying to make a statement about small town TN.

I was just responding to the person upthread who said the following

I was just pointing out that a person's identity itself can be a source of problems, even if that person is not having a political conversation with someone or is just visiting an area briefly.
Your post seemed to say that minorities, gay people, and mixed couples would definitely have problems in small towns around here. I think someone moving in would read your post as something you had seen or experienced. Not the musings of someone who doesn't live here. Anyone can encounter problems for some aspects of their appearance, beliefs, etc anywhere in the world. I work all over Middle TN and never see someone getting harrassed. Many people would be surprised by the large Somali population in Shelbyville.

I think it's important to provide quality information to people moving here. Some people act like there are signs that say "minorities not allowed" when you cross out of the city limits. And that is certainly not the case.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaball50 View Post
Oeople buy wine in a grocery store until this year? And the new law will limit sales to two stores? That's funny. How about beer or hard liquor?
Under the old laws, wine, high gravity beer, and hard liquor could only be sold in liquor stores. Basically anything over 6.3% ABV. Liquor stores could NOT sell low gravity beer or mixers or any type of party supplies related to alcoholic beverages. So basically you had to buy your margarita mix and tequila separately. And liquor stores were limited to one single location, so no chains. All small businesses (for better or worse).

Now, wine will be available in grocery stores, and liquor stores can now sell lower alcohol beer, mixers, and party supplies (including things like packaged meats and cheeses for parties), and they can have 2 locations....so their success isn't limited to one spot.

Believe me, I think we have a ways to go in fixing some of our unnecessary alcohol laws....but it has come a long ways in the last 10-20 years.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopermochi View Post
If i had to recommend a location, i'd just say stay within davidson cnt lines.

Nashville to me has always been a "if you look for it, you'll find it" kind of city. Its easy to spot the red and blue areas, but the good majority of the people aren't vocal about it and generally mind their own business (or like someone mention, middle of road folks). One thing nashvillians are most proud of... is always being nice. Seriously, my wife and I cant be anywhere in public without someone wanting to chitchat to pass time, whethers its in checkout line or to waiting room. If you're ever broken down on side of the road, it wont be a few minutes before someone stops to help. Its southern hospitality at its finest, and that will always outshine the politics, and thats coming from a minority in every sense of the word.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow View Post
I haven't moved to Nashville yet, so I don't know anything about the surrounding towns.

..but I guess the subtext of your question is: how do you know minorities might have a problem in small town TN if you don't live here. The answer is I don't. It's possible that a transgender person could walk down any main street in small town TN while wearing a hijab, and not have any problems. I hope that's the case. I wasn't trying to make a statement about small town TN.

I was just pointing out that a person's identity itself can be a source of problems, even if that person is not having a political conversation with someone or is just visiting an area briefly.
There are "dumb" or "ignorant" people everywhere. When I lived in San Diego you could go out to "East County" and get blasted by rednecks for being gay but they aren't in the south so no one really thinks about it happening there. I feel like suburbs in the south get a bad reputation for being "hostile" toward people who stand out because of the accent and history of the region. It's easy to put on your favorite redneck voice and act like Good Ole Boy Southern Bigot and fly the dadgum Rebel flag but that's just not the reality of this area in 2016. Sure there are small percentages of people who are stuck in the past but it's not a big Nashville issue. I feel like rural people with thick southern accents intimidate liberal-minded people which IMO leads to unfair stereotypes. If someone is going to run into some kind of problem in a suburban area of Nashville, they'll run into some kind of problem in many other areas of the country.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 AM

31 posts, read 45,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
There are "dumb" or "ignorant" people everywhere. When I lived in San Diego you could go out to "East County" and get blasted by rednecks for being gay but they aren't in the south so no one really thinks about it happening there. I feel like suburbs in the south get a bad reputation for being "hostile" toward people who stand out because of the accent and history of the region. It's easy to put on your favorite redneck voice and act like Good Ole Boy Southern Bigot and fly the dadgum Rebel flag but that's just not the reality of this area in 2016. Sure there are small percentages of people who are stuck in the past but it's not a big Nashville issue. I feel like rural people with thick southern accents intimidate liberal-minded people which IMO leads to unfair stereotypes. If someone is going to run into some kind of problem in a suburban area of Nashville, they'll run into some kind of problem in many other areas of the country.
That's been my experience too. My wife's family is from rural Alabama, and despite being in a mixed-race family, we've had nothing but great experiences while visiting down there. In general, I've found southerners to be very friendly.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Your post seemed to say that minorities, gay people, and mixed couples would definitely have problems in small towns around here.
This is absolutely true. I grew up in small town Tennessee. Small towns that have become suburbs, maybe not, but the over-arching atmosphere of true small towns (even in Middle Tennessee) can be hit or miss with regards to sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and sometimes even race.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Nashville, yeah, you'll be Ok. Anywhere else . . . Very risky.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
So you are liberal. I would advise you to stay put.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:23 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Wondering about this topic myself. There are so many jobs in my field in Nashville (healthcare revenue cycle), and the city's lower than average unemployment rate entices me to apply, but I'm concerned about the politics. I currently live in Collier county, FL. One of the most conservative parts of the state, and I only received praise for driving around with my Bernie sticker on my car around primary voting time. I'm gay too so if there is a lot of religion in area that needs to be taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville