Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:45 PM

56 posts, read 128,549 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I have often thought that we might like to live in the Nashville area (my parents live in Knoxville). Yesterday, my boss gave me right of first refusal to transfer to a position in the Nashville area. We literally don't know anything about which neighborhoods have good schools (we have a 10yo and a 3yo). The 10yo is very smart having made the district math team two years now and is a STEM student at her school.

I'd like to find a nice house (3-4 beds, 2 bath about 2,000 sf), no land requirement, that's within walking/biking distance to a good school. I'd like to keep it around 250k or less if possible.

My wife is a charge nurse in a lock down ward of a long-term care facility. What's the outlook for nurses there?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 04:50 PM

71 posts, read 74,517 times
Before I answer this...what part of town would your job be in? This town is massive when it comes to square miles.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:53 PM

456 posts, read 589,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyinNashville View Post
Before I answer this...what part of town would your job be in? This town is massive when it comes to square miles.
Great question This is always important.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 PM

56 posts, read 128,549 times
Music Square W.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 AM

71 posts, read 74,517 times
Thanks!

I would definitely say east or west would be your best shot to get what you want, niether would be too far from your work. Look in Bellevue, Hermitage, and maybe Mt. Juliet? Hermitage seems to have the most inventory for single family homes in your price range. I know the elem. school in Bellevue is amazing, and there are quite a few great ones in Wilson (I need help from someone as to which ones). The commute, as of now, from Bellevue is quite a bit less congested--probably why there is less inventory, but if you can travel in not-peak hours, coming from the other way might actually be faster, or at very least about the same. If you go north or south, you might find what you want but I would never recommend either of those commutes. No bueno. Plenty of people do it though?

If you are open to a condo, you might be able to really increase your walkability...but they go SO fast. Doesn't mean you can't get one, but you'd need to be serious and ready to buy when you look.

Your wife should have no problem finding work here, hospitals, SNFs, and LTCFs are everywhere. Nashville's no. 1 industry is healthcare.

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyinNashville View Post
Thanks!

I would definitely say east or west would be your best shot to get what you want, niether would be too far from your work. Look in Bellevue, Hermitage, and maybe Mt. Juliet? Hermitage seems to have the most inventory for single family homes in your price range. I know the elem. school in Bellevue is amazing, and there are quite a few great ones in Wilson (I need help from someone as to which ones). The commute, as of now, from Bellevue is quite a bit less congested--probably why there is less inventory, but if you can travel in not-peak hours, coming from the other way might actually be faster, or at very least about the same. If you go north or south, you might find what you want but I would never recommend either of those commutes. No bueno. Plenty of people do it though?

If you are open to a condo, you might be able to really increase your walkability...but they go SO fast. Doesn't mean you can't get one, but you'd need to be serious and ready to buy when you look.

Your wife should have no problem finding work here, hospitals, SNFs, and LTCFs are everywhere. Nashville's no. 1 industry is healthcare.

Good luck!
Very well written. Try Mt. Juliet Elementary or Lakewood Elementary in MJ. Bellevue/Donelson also good options.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,746,003 times
I wouldn't move into Davidson County (Bellevue, Hermitage) with a 10 year old. Middle school starts in 5th grade in Davidson County, and while the magnet schools are excellent, there is no guarantee that your son could get into one. They are done by lottery, and lots of kids apply.

If I were in your situation, I would be looking at Hendersonville. You could check on getting into Merrol Hyde Magnet, but if you didn't get in his first year here, the zoned middle school would most likely still be good.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I wouldn't move into Davidson County (Bellevue, Hermitage) with a 10 year old. Middle school starts in 5th grade in Davidson County, and while the magnet schools are excellent, there is no guarantee that your son could get into one. They are done by lottery, and lots of kids apply.

If I were in your situation, I would be looking at Hendersonville. You could check on getting into Merrol Hyde Magnet, but if you didn't get in his first year here, the zoned middle school would most likely still be good.
From Music Square W...it would be crazy fighting traffic all the way to Hendersonville. Hendersonville is nice area though. Certainly nothing wrong with Bellevue either.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,746,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
From Music Square W...it would be crazy fighting traffic all the way to Hendersonville. Hendersonville is nice area though. Certainly nothing wrong with Bellevue either.
Bellevue is a good part of town, but the middle schools aren't great. About 50% of the kids in Bellevue Middle score below proficient in math.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,759,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
The commute wouldn't be any worse than Wilson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville