Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 174,507 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in the Nashville/Franklin/Spring Hill area for the next 6 months and am looking for suggestions on fitness centers or gyms. This will be my first ever gym membership, as I've always exercised at my school's gym. Anyone have suggestions for gyms around mid TN? I don't need fancy...just good cardio equipment and some weights (no need for tanning, pools, etc..)

I've done a little searching online...and fitness centers don't seem to have a good reputation in general. Many of accounts of fraud, legal issues, dishonest conduct, etc...so I'm seeking advice/opinions from people that know the gyms in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Go to the Y. There are several in the Franklin area. Cool Springs is smaller- no pool. Nashville has quite a few too. Very reputable business practices, no worries.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
We go to Urban Active. Nice facility and at $200 for the year, it's reasonably priced. Personally, I would stay away from the Y. The one over near Franklin might be better, but most of the ones we checked out were over run by kids. Also...and not sure how to say this and be politically correct...but the Y seems to attract the lower level income crowd because they are usually the cheapest option.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 PM

140 posts, read 619,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
We go to Urban Active. Nice facility and at $200 for the year, it's reasonably priced. Personally, I would stay away from the Y. The one over near Franklin might be better, but most of the ones we checked out were over run by kids. Also...and not sure how to say this and be politically correct...but the Y seems to attract the lower level income crowd because they are usually the cheapest option.
Right, and you don't want to get too close to anyone in that "lower level income crowd"...

Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
you can go month to month at the Y and if you have Blue Cross insurance have the joining fee waived. They also have special memberships if you're under a certain income level (check their website). Prairie Life is a lot nicer gym though, the problem will be getting a shorter term membership (will probably cost more than the Y), but they are never packed so they might make a deal for you.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
I suggested the Y based on his wanting a short-term, "nothing fancy" gym.

Lower level income crowd, wow. Isn't that everyone these days? LOL!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
I knew you all would take that the wrong way. Remember the scene from "Vacation" where they get off the wrong exit and end up in the "hood". That's the way we felt when we walked into the Y, but like I said, maybe the ones over near Brentwood and Franklin are better.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
We belong to the Franklin Athletic Club. Just under $60/month for the two of us...not bad. And it's a really nice gym. We're very happy there.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:29 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
In Franklin there is the big Y and then over in the mall area there is another, smaller Y that is very nice. (There is no pool there...which also lowers the price) We almost joined that one but my husband likes the weights at FAC better.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM

140 posts, read 619,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I knew you all would take that the wrong way. Remember the scene from "Vacation" where they get off the wrong exit and end up in the "hood". That's the way we felt when we walked into the Y, but like I said, maybe the ones over near Brentwood and Franklin are better.
Oh, I doubt anyone took it the wrong way. It was perfectly clear you meant there are a lot of poor people/minorities, and that for some reason exercising around those people makes you uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville