Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM

223 posts, read 583,171 times

Advertisements

I can't speak about Mt. Juliet but I can about Murfreesboro. I retired and moved here from northern IL (north of Chicago) last November. I do not regret the decision at all. We love it here. We are on the south/southwest side of town - actually just outside the city limits. Everything we need/like is relatively close by - shopping, restaurants, golf, etc. Nashville isn't very far away. As for the traffic, yes it's heavy at times but having spent most of my adult life around the New York City and Chicago areas I don't see traffic being an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
We have lived in Murfreesboro, West side of town, since 2000 and wouldn't live anywhere else. What Dave, Mary, and Kim said is right on the money.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
We have lived in Murfreesboro, West side of town, since 2000 and wouldn't live anywhere else. What Dave, Mary, and Kim said is right on the money.
Having come from california, I wanted to be where the traffic was less so I picked the east side - amazing how the terrain changes heading east toward the Cumberland plateau -flattish brown earth turns intense green hills - God's country....tons of horse farms, mini estates , wineries, lakes - the minute you leave the Lebanon area....ka-boom!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Having come from california, I wanted to be where the traffic was less so I picked the east side - amazing how the terrain changes heading east toward the Cumberland plateau -flattish brown earth turns intense green hills - God's country....tons of horse farms, mini estates , wineries, lakes - the minute you leave the Lebanon area....ka-boom!
But there is no doubt that the West side of town is extremely convenient and not all of it is heavily filled with traffic. It all depends on what matters more to you.....less traffic and less convenience or more traffic and more convenience. I wouldn't compare the east side of Murfreesboro to the beauty of the Cumberland Plateau however.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM

11 posts, read 39,343 times
I just had to respond to this. We have lived in Murfreesboro for the past 5 years. I enjoy it. However, my husband works construction and travels around Middle TN. What city do you think he hates going to the most? That is right, Mt. Juliet (he has worked there a lot). He calls it the "Armpit of TN".

Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl523 View Post
I just had to respond to this. We have lived in Murfreesboro for the past 5 years. I enjoy it. However, my husband works construction and travels around Middle TN. What city do you think he hates going to the most? That is right, Mt. Juliet (he has worked there a lot). He calls it the "Armpit of TN".
I think it's worth pointing out that when it comes to Mount Juliet these days, it is almost like two separate and very different cities. There's Providence, then there's the rest of Mount Juliet. I assume your husband is referring to the rest of Mount Juliet. Not that I personally find it to be a bad place, but it certainly isn't new, shiny, and up-and-coming like Providence.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I live in Murfreesboro and, even though I very much want to move to another state, I would still choose this town over Mt. Juliet. I was a courier for several years and have been in most of the towns large and small in Middle Tennessee, and I would choose Murfreesboro over any of them. And this coming from a guy who's not exactly fond of Murfreesboro!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
How does murfreesboro (and immediate surrounding towns) compare to the towns of brentwood and franklin in terms of school systems, safety, home prices, commute into nashville, do you get more for your money in that particular area. What makes this particular area NOT the first choice (from what I read on city data to look for)--when you have kids. It it just honestly an issue of being in the "upscale" are of town? I want to know what to expect if we end up comming out their on a scouting trip with a realtor (who may push us towards on direction or the other).

Do alot of south asians live in that area? Indian restaurants, groceries would be important to have access too.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
But there is no doubt that the West side of town is extremely convenient and not all of it is heavily filled with traffic. It all depends on what matters more to you.....less traffic and less convenience or more traffic and more convenience. I wouldn't compare the east side of Murfreesboro to the beauty of the Cumberland Plateau however.
Steve, I have to agree with you on that. Where my son lives on the west side has less traffic , from where my daughter lives near the MTSU Campus, where she is a student.

To the OP, I prefer Murfreesboro, and homes cost less there.

Diane G

Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 PM

195 posts, read 525,459 times
I guess it depends where one will find work. If you live in Mt Juliet and found work in Murfreesboro or close to it, then you may find packing up for Murfreesboro. The other way works too. The thing is (and I'm less than a year here in Tennessee by the way, for what that's worth) I heard mostly good things about the 2 areas.

On subject of kid activities. I have a kid and I for one want that and while Murfreesboro may have more of these right now, Mt Juliet, being an up and coming community, for sure will be having more of that soon.

I hope people don't turn this thread into promoting one area at the expense of the other. No cheap shots either please.

To the OP, apart from the info you may get here, may I suggest to consider perusing from the respective stand-alone city threads, if you haven't done yet. You will find more focused information about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville