Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,916,490 times

Advertisements

There is a vote in Nashville on public transit in May. One things for certain, if Nashville votes down the bill, then they will NOT get the HQ2. Bezos is waiting out this key piece of information before making a decision on Nashville. He wants to see if the citizens will put their money where their mouth is...

So it's in your hands. If you vote yes to the transit bill then you could get HQ2. If you vote no, then you will be eliminated.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,487,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There is a vote in Nashville on public transit in May. One things for certain, if Nashville votes down the bill, then they will NOT get the HQ2. Bezos is waiting out this key piece of information before making a decision on Nashville. He wants to see if the citizens will put their money where their mouth is...

So it's in your hands. If you vote yes to the transit bill then you could get HQ2. If you vote no, then you will be eliminated.

I just said this,.. If they do pass the Transit bill Amazon has an opportunity to Mold Nashville and it's Transit just the way they want to. A new, fresh and upcoming City just like Amazon it's self.. What a lot of people don't realize is Amazon is looking for a City they can grow with and kinda build onto, something similar to Seattle as well. Most other Cities around the country are all ready established Transit and otherwise. If I was Bezos Nashville would be a goldmine for me only if it passes it's Transit Bill, if not I would turn the other Cheek.. Just my perception of it... They really have the chance to put a Major stamp on Nashville and make it Amazon City is so many ways... Being close to Atlanta but not in Atlanta would kinda be a major convenience as well having Hartsfield Airport as a backup for the Moment if direct flight didn't get out of BNA right away but that would all change anyway if Amazon chose Nashville...Watch how fast BNA would expand especially when it comes to Cargo, think they would give Memphis a run for its money... Watch after June-July you will see your Top 5 and that will be after the vote

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM

266 posts, read 246,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I just said this,.. If they do pass the Transit bill Amazon has an opportunity to Mold Nashville and it's Transit just the way they want to. A new, fresh and upcoming City just like Amazon it's self.. What a lot of people don't realize is Amazon is looking for a City they can grow with and kinda build onto, something similar to Seattle as well. Most other Cities around the country are all ready established Transit and otherwise. If I was Bezos Nashville would be a goldmine for me only if it passes it's Transit Bill, if not I would turn the other Cheek.. Just my perception of it... They really have the chance to put a Major stamp on Nashville and make it Amazon City is so many ways... Being close to Atlanta but not in Atlanta would kinda be a major convenience as well having Hartsfield Airport as a backup for the Moment if direct flight didn't get out of BNA right away but that would all change anyway if Amazon chose Nashville...Watch how fast BNA would expand especially when it comes to Cargo, think they would give Memphis a run for its money... Watch after June-July you will see your Top 5 and that will be after the vote
As someone who has recently moved to the area from New England, I was also wondering if they may have to put more $ into the budget for clearing of roads during weather events as well?

It just sort of stuck me last week when schools/businesses were closed for the week, but I would think a large employer of that magnitude would want to ensure employees can get to work and business can still function during those events.

It's not a knock on Tennessee as I realize it is not something this state has to deal with on a regular basis.

I realize Amazon has the upper hand to ask for anything they want of the cities they are considering.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM

57 posts, read 64,870 times
Overall climate might be a consideration for sure, but the ability to clear roads once in a while during winter is not an insurmountable barrier to Nashville's candidacy for sure. The county and city simply need to appropriate money to buy the equipment, most of it can be purchased used and simply maintained correctly, it need not be new.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,427,478 times
Just to put a little perspective to last weeks weather issue. I've seen several things where people think we need to invest more in clearing roads. The weather event last week was abnormal (or maybe it's the new normal...time will tell). That cold weather dipped way down....New Orleans, Florida...etc.

Usually....(grain of salt) when we get snow, it warms up the next day and it starts to melt or melts completely. I know that several people that have moved here recently think that what we had last week was typical...but it really wasn't. Those super frigid temps hung around longer than normal.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM

13,360 posts, read 40,027,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Usually....(grain of salt) when we get snow,
I see what you did there.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-23-2018, 12:34 PM

266 posts, read 246,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Just to put a little perspective to last weeks weather issue. I've seen several things where people think we need to invest more in clearing roads. The weather event last week was abnormal (or maybe it's the new normal...time will tell). That cold weather dipped way down....New Orleans, Florida...etc.

Usually....(grain of salt) when we get snow, it warms up the next day and it starts to melt or melts completely. I know that several people that have moved here recently think that what we had last week was typical...but it really wasn't. Those super frigid temps hung around longer than normal.
Agreed, my mother is in Florida and she was complaining about the cold. Most have told me what happened was not typical.

I think what got me thinking was a study from a Vanderbilt professor who spoke of the revenue lost each day when everything closes.

Let's hope it doesn't become the new norm now that I moved here!

Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,721 times
I've been here 6 winters. There has been shutdown of at least one day every winter. Some winters, multiple days. Let's not even go into how many school days are lost each year to weather.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM

13,360 posts, read 40,027,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I've been here 6 winters. There has been shutdown of at least one day every winter. Some winters, multiple days. Let's not even go into how many school days are lost each year to weather.
To be fair, the school systems have snow days built into their calendars, so they're not really "losing" any school days because of snow. And in years when they don't use all their snow days, it essentially means they're "gaining" school days. Nashville, however, has already used one more snow day than had already allotted this school year, so they'll have to make that one up sometime.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 01-23-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 PM

4,349 posts, read 4,732,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
To be fair, the school systems have snow days built into their calendars, so they're not really "losing" any school days because of snow. And in years when they don't use all their snow days, it essentially means they're "gaining" school days. Nashville, however, has already used one more snow day than had already allotted this school year, so they'll have to make that one up sometime.

That's not my point. How much business productivity is lost since parent jobs don't have school snow days built into their calendars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville