Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 AM

89 posts, read 95,189 times

Advertisements

Is Madison really that bad now? I lived there from 98-06 and didn’t think it was bad, but I’d heard it deteriorated. My mom grew up in Madison in the 60’s and used to talk about how nice it was back then. I’ve been able to take my family to Nashville a couple times since I moved to Houston and they love it, but it seems the only place we could afford is Madison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post
Is Madison really that bad now? I lived there from 98-06 and didn’t think it was bad, but I’d heard it deteriorated. My mom grew up in Madison in the 60’s and used to talk about how nice it was back then. I’ve been able to take my family to Nashville a couple times since I moved to Houston and they love it, but it seems the only place we could afford is Madison

The problem I see with Madison up to the Rivergate area is it is slowly declining. Madison seems to be hub of cheap dollar stores. THe only plus is the MTA lite BRT line from downtown to WalMart in Rivergate. Ridership may be enough to do improved BRT or trolley some day. Your mom may remember when Rivergate was built?

Old 03-09-2018, 03:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
I work from home and often have HGTV on in the background. Yesterday, it seemed like all the Flip or Flop Nashville homes were in North Nashville/Madison area.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:48 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I work from home and often have HGTV on in the background. Yesterday, it seemed like all the Flip or Flop Nashville homes were in North Nashville/Madison area.
I saw that lol smh...I was like why don't they show who lives there, and not just the house?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I saw that lol smh...I was like why don't they show who lives there, and not just the house?
My co-worker and his wife and baby bought a house in North Nashville, right across from one of the TV show rehab houses. His house has very much appreciated in the 2 years they've been there and they have had no issues. They are very happy with their purchase.

Nearly 5 years ago, I bought in a marginal neighborhood which has transitioned quite nicely. I'm less than 2 miles from downtown and my house has gone up 2.5 times in value. I'm sure pretty much everyone else in my hood would agree we are happy with being urban pioneers.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,269 times
I have several friends that "cashed out" of East Nashville and went to Madison. It's not all bad. Many of those neighborhoods with the sprawling brick ranches remind me of Donelson or West Meade....same development time. Property values in Madison have appreciated too. This is no slight or dig to Antioch (because I think it's fine too)....but....if I worked downtown, I would much rather commute from Madison than Antioch. And sure....parts of Gallatin road is an eyesore...but the same can be said about most other arterial roads near downtown. As NCal eluded to....property values anywhere near the core have gone up quite a bit. Some neighborhoods have appreciate more than others.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
My co-worker and his wife and baby bought a house in North Nashville, right across from one of the TV show rehab houses. His house has very much appreciated in the 2 years they've been there and they have had no issues. They are very happy with their purchase.

Nearly 5 years ago, I bought in a marginal neighborhood which has transitioned quite nicely. I'm less than 2 miles from downtown and my house has gone up 2.5 times in value. I'm sure pretty much everyone else in my hood would agree we are happy with being urban pioneers.
Bordeaux, North Nashville are the next hot growth areas due to the proximity to downtown. The house they did on Thursday was my style all the way. Hopefully, the city will continue to invest in sidewalks and safe pedestrian crosswalks.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 11,349 times
Thank you everyone for your input. Found a great houseshare in a beautiful neighborhood just a smidge above my budget but worth it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel814 View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. Found a great houseshare in a beautiful neighborhood just a smidge above my budget but worth it.
Good

Old 03-28-2018, 03:32 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I have several friends that "cashed out" of East Nashville and went to Madison. It's not all bad. Many of those neighborhoods with the sprawling brick ranches remind me of Donelson or West Meade....same development time. Property values in Madison have appreciated too. This is no slight or dig to Antioch (because I think it's fine too)....but....if I worked downtown, I would much rather commute from Madison than Antioch. And sure....parts of Gallatin road is an eyesore...but the same can be said about most other arterial roads near downtown. As NCal eluded to....property values anywhere near the core have gone up quite a bit. Some neighborhoods have appreciate more than others.
Are you seriously trying to compare Madison to West Meade???

Madison:

West Meade:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville