Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,141,307 times

Advertisements

Right now, I'm feeling like the whole thing was overhyped/overblown by forecasters who were promising 80-90% chances of rain from Thursday/Friday through Monday. Originally they were talking about 3-4 inches of rain total, but last I saw, those totals had dropped to 1-1.5 inches.

Here in my corner of the Metro (near Nolensville), we got a tiny bit of rain on Thursday, a decent amount Friday morning, possibly some overnight last night (ground was wet this morning) and I think one shower today while I was out, but right now the sun is shining and everything is drying out. I'm thinking maybe 1/2-inch total?

I guess I should be happy for the folks in town for CMA, but I'm feeling bummed, because my lawn and garden really needed the rain. People just visiting might not now, but we'd had near-record heat until recently and basically no rain the previous 3 weeks.

So... I know these kinds of storms can be very hit-or-miss. Just wondering if anyone has gotten pounded with deluge after deluge? Or has the whole system sort of fizzled around the Nashville area and gone both north and south of us again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 02:46 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,096,537 times
I was all excited for a few rainy days . . and keep holding off on watering and mowing thinking we'll get a storm any minute . . but no. One decent soaking and that's been it here in Franklin.

Don't really understand it but most forecasts here OVER state the precipitation. Rarely do they UNDER state it.

AND they never say "Oh, we're sorry . . . "

Most TV weathercasters are NOT certified meteorologists. They have a Communications degree. Maybe that's the problem.

But it sure does seem like it's "Fake Weather"!

Old 06-08-2019, 04:23 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,727,294 times
Downtown got some decent rain for a bit yesterday but more lightning than anything. Today it sprinkled but mostly sunshine.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,551,439 times
my dog's kiddie pool was empty when the rain started.. it has at least 4-5" of rain it now. We've had a bunch of deluges vs. slow steady rain

Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 AM

@Countrygirl2b= ... Sounds like we've had similar experiences from this system on the south side of the Metro. I take your point. I think on average, the forecasters (not just the TV ones, but also the apps and websites) tend to hype up the rain/snow amounts. Bait click (or the equivalent for TVs). Brings in viewers.

And yes, it irks me that they never admit to getting it wrong. I'm not really looking for an apology, but more of an analysis. Like, "We thought we would get 3 inches of widespread rain over the Metro area, but most areas only saw 0.5 inches. Here's why the model was wrong, and here's how we'll try to adjust future forecasts to get closer to accurate."

I didn't realize that many TV weather forecasters are not actually meteorologists (https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/m...orologist.html).

That would explain a lot. They can't talk about why the model was right/wrong if they don't understand the underlying mechanics of the model and are just presenting (in a nice way) what the model spits out.

@N. Cal - That tallies with my experience in Brentwood/Nolensville area -- Some decent rain on Friday (although no lightning, little thunder) and just very light rain with lots of sun mixed in on Saturday.

@septimus - I'm glad (presuming you wanted the rain) that someone has gotten a good soaking from this system! Can you remind me in what part of the Metro your dog's kiddie pool is located? Goodlettsville / Hendersonville? Seems like more of the rain hit the northside. I read on Nashville Severe Weather's Twitter feed about Madison getting hammered.

I just deleted Google Weather app. That seems to be least accurate. I don't expect accuracy on the 7th or even 3rd day of a forecast, but they were pretty terrible at next day (or same day) forecasts. Last night, the Google weather app was showing 50-80% chances of rain for all day today. Now it's showing nothing until at least noon and then just 30-40% chances for most of the afternoon. Meh.

I'm going to try using National Weather Service (https://www.weather.gov/)? You can get it on your phone too - https://www.weather.gov/wrn/mobile-phone

Last edited by aaronmidnight; 06-09-2019 at 06:20 AM..

Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 AM

PS - Officially, Nashville Airport apparently got ~ 2 inches of rain on Friday. Not bad. Only 0.21 inches on Thursday and just 0.05 inches of rainfall yesterday! https://www.wunderground.com/history...NA/date/2019-6

Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,551,439 times
@aaronmidnight I'm near Harpeth Hall.

The best weather forecasts are the guys on twitter @nashseverewx they said the models didn't agree about rain this weekend and that the rain would be very localized

Old 06-09-2019, 04:14 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,020,498 times
I live just north of Chattanooga, while we had some showers and maybe 3 short-lived downpours, nothing like was forecast. Closer than winter weather forecasts though.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,921,430 times
We are ~ 65 miles SE of Nashville. We pretty much got what was predicted. Spotty showers, sometimes pouring rain, followed by Louisiana-style humidity. Rinse and repeat for several days, including today

I have two weather apps. The main focus of one is the hourly temperature and never misses. The other one is from one of the local channels and is live radar so how can it miss

That said, I was raised on a farm, which means I learned at a young age to watch the sky. Knowing how to read what I see up there has helped a lot with outdoor stuff through the years. It is still no replacement for my live radar app, if I need to be bush hogging up on the ridge when there's impending bad weather and where lightening likes to hit all the time

Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 AM

@septimus - Fair enough. I think @nashseverewx did oversell these storms a bit, but you're right, they did mention they would be scattered/localized. Speaking of which, looks like Goodlettsville and Hendersonville did end up getting whacked by flooding - https://www.nashvillesevereweather.c...y-the-weekend/

@Creekcat - Interesting. Looked from radar loops that I saw like SE Tennesssee was getting more frequent rain than we did. Apparently not. Or at least apparently not everywhere in SE Tennessee.

@Normashirley - Would you mind sharing the live radar app that you find so helpful?

The skies finally did open up yesterday for a couple good solid downpours here in my corner of the Southeast Metro. Thank goodness! Looking forward now to some lower humidity and cooler temps for the next few days. Looks like the weather should be stellar for early-to-mid June!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville