Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 06:16 AM

19 posts, read 20,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat0116 View Post
$300k in Mt.Juliet ? Better tack on another $100Gs to buy there.

We're in Murfreesboro and the $300K is the low range where housing is starting here right now. Mt.Juilet is much nice and exclusive than Boro is.
Yes, I'm starting to realize this as I've seen double wide trailers sell for $300,000 in Mt. Juliet while houses by the lake sell for $1 million plus.

Mt. Juliet's a nice community though and one my family and I have fallen in love with during our time here. Quite frankly, Mt. Juliet doesn't look all that different from Williamson Co. and that's really what attracted us to this area based on the location of our jobs. I'm looking for a decent 3bd/2ba house with an acre of land but have started looking in the 350k-375k and might have to start looking higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
the economy is booming for most people, housing is red hot!

Old 11-28-2020, 03:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat0116 View Post

New homes are snagged up faster than Cracker Jacks and existing homes often have bidding wars (on the lower end) and sell FAST ! F A S T >..FAST !

A lot folks are immigrating from California (escaping the high cost of living and taxes) and also really starting to pour in from large urban areas. Especially from New York City !
This here. People migrating from high cost of living cities to Nashville. Properties here are a steal.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 AM

125 posts, read 198,031 times
Nashville/Davidson County has shot itself in the foot with the news that it raised property taxes by 33% while embracing the “Defund the Police” movement. We have a million dollar budget to buy in the area if we wish and we are NOT looking for homes in Nashville/Davidson County.

Having lived in Brentwood for three years (2013-2016), we knew that Nashville proper was run by liberals, but we now recognize that its leaders are mindless liberals!

Last edited by GolfMomTN; 12-05-2020 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 12-05-2020, 01:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfMomTN View Post
Nashville/Davidson County has shot itself in the foot with the news that it raised property taxes by 33% while embracing the “Defund the Police” movement. We have a million dollar budget to buy in the area if we wish and we are NOT looking for homes in Nashville/Davidson County.

Having lived in Brentwood for three years (2013-2016), we knew that Nashville proper was run by liberals, but we now recognize that its leaders are mindless liberals!
Houses in my neighborhood are going on the market and being sold in less than 48 hours.

Last edited by JMT; 12-05-2020 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-06-2020, 05:39 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:

Metro's 34% increase is not deterring out of state buyers who are used to paying a lot more in property taxes. Even with the increase our taxes are still lower than many parts of the country.

Does the tax increase suck for current residents, yes, but my taxes should have never gone down during the 2016 reappraisal process. I've been saving over $1k/yr for the last 4 years.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM

125 posts, read 198,031 times
Good to hear from you, Septimus. It has been a long time.

The concern for Nashville is that once it raises taxes by 33% and reduces its police budget, crime will go up. Once crime goes up, it will have to raise taxes again to fund the needed law enforcement.

From what I remember, you live in Williamson County which has an entirely different mindset towards law enforcement as compared to Nashville/Davidson County. I was there for the 2016 tax reduction which, from what I remember, was solely done because of the increased assessment values at that time. So, in effect, tax revenues will increase as the home assessment values and sale prices increase.

The concern for Davidson County is that as tax rates are increased and police services are reduced, it will be put more on par with the higher ad valorem taxes found in Texas which is a direct competitor for those out-of-state residents.

Yes, Californians and New Yorkers are fleeing the horrible taxes and crime that they are experiencing in those locations, but just as long will it take before Nashville or Tennessee resemble the cities and states that they fled? As you well know, longtime Nashville residents are fleeing to the surrounding suburbs.

We are comparing homes in the surrounding Dallas area and Nashville area and we certainly are taking notice of the real estate tax rates and overall comparison of attitudes towards law enforcement support. We are consciously avoiding Nashville/Davidson County and Dallas City proper.

We currently are in Florida and are only looking to move to a more centrally located state because our child is studying on the West coast. Tennessee and Texas are on the list since we know the states and have lived in them previously.

Texas is lucky to have Governor Abbott and Tennessee is lucky to have Governor Lee to support the law enforcement officers in the capital cities, but they can’t do much to affect the real estate taxes being imposed, or the view that lawlessness or liberal policies are being allowed by cities leaders which will have a direct affect on the desirability of the cities.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:16 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Good to hear from you, Septimus. It has been a long time.

The concern for Nashville is that once it raises taxes by 33% and reduces its police budget, crime will go up. Once crime goes up, it will have to raise taxes again to fund the needed law enforcement.

From what I remember, you live in Williamson County which has an entirely different mindset towards law enforcement as compared to Nashville/Davidson County. I was there for the 2016 tax reduction which, from what I remember, was solely done because of the increased assessment values at that time. So, in effect, tax revenues will increase as the home assessment values and sale prices increase.

The concern for Davidson County is that as tax rates are increased and police services are reduced, it will be put more on par with the higher ad valorem taxes found in Texas which is a direct competitor for those out-of-state residents.

Yes, Californians and New Yorkers are fleeing the horrible taxes and crime that they are experiencing in those locations, but just as long will it take before Nashville or Tennessee resemble the cities and states that they fled? As you well know, longtime Nashville residents are fleeing to the surrounding suburbs.

We are comparing homes in the surrounding Dallas area and Nashville area and we certainly are taking notice of the real estate tax rates and overall comparison of attitudes towards law enforcement support. We are consciously avoiding Nashville/Davidson County and Dallas City proper.

We currently are in Florida and are only looking to move to a more centrally located state because our child is studying on the West coast. Tennessee and Texas are on the list since we know the states and have lived in them previously.

Texas is lucky to have Governor Abbott and Tennessee is lucky to have Governor Lee to support the law enforcement officers in the capital cities, but they can’t do much to affect the real estate taxes being imposed, or the view that lawlessness or liberal policies are being allowed by cities leaders which will have a direct affect on the desirability of the cities.
I moved to Metro about 4+ years ago...

I'm not sure where you are seeing Metro is defunding its police. It is struggling to fill vacancies (so are all the surrounding counties) but the only thing being defunded is CoreCivic as the county is taking over its jail from CoreCivic. "Defunding the police" was such a bad motto. It isn't about cutting cops, it is about having support services, like social workers to help de-esculate mental health crises.

I think you will find property taxes much higher in Dallas. My sisters in Dallas all pay 2% of their home value every year in property tax so a $1m house is 20k in property tax.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:32 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Despite the 33% increase in taxes Nashville still has lower taxes than the other large cities in Tennessee. Real estate taxes in Tennessee (including Nashville) are dirt cheap. It is literally half to a third of what someone would pay in places like Ohio, Texas, California, Connecticut, Michigan, or Illinois. It could potentially show the price growth some because housing budgets are determined by total cost of ownership (mortgage, taxes, insurance). If taxes go up the mortgage oftentimes go down to compensate for it to some degree.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Today's business news...

Nashville-area home sales rose 14 percent in November from the mark of the same month in 2019 while inventory and days-on-market numbers continuing to shrink.

The month follows an October and a September that both saw a 17 percent year-over-year increase and an August that enjoyed a solid 6 percent rise from the same month in 2019. The gains have come after June and July recorded modest increases and a May in which sales plummeted 22 percent year over year due to COVID-19 concerns.

In addition, 3,119 sales were pending at the end of November, up from the 2,801 pending deals for the same month in 2019. At the end of October, 3,819 sales were pending, an increase of 22 percent from the same time in 2019.

The average number of days on the market for a single-family home in November was a mere 24. This compares to an October mark of 25 and a September figure of 29. During the April to August span, the average number of days per month was about 32, well below the 40-day figure from January.

“While we see limited inventory in some areas, homes sell faster and at higher prices than ever before,” Greater Nashville Realtors President Kristy Hairston said in the release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville