Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2021, 11:38 AM

67 posts, read 109,346 times

Advertisements

I'm 73 and single. I've lived in the Colorado High Country for 45 years. It's my home. Unfortunately over the years the kids all left Colorado for the east and now live in Tennessee, Brentwood near Nashville. After a health issue this year I'm planning to move nearer family in the next three years. It's not something I relish. I live in a quiet, tiny mountain town, under the embrace of 14,000ft. mountains, and love it. But I'm isolated and alone with just a few friends in this new town. I'm vulnerable when the doctors and hospitals are an hour and a half down treacherous curvy canyon roads in the winter. I've always thought it was selfish of us single older ones to stay at a distance when health issues begin to show up. The kids have a big life ahead now and it seems only right I head out that way. That's the philosophy I've always claimed, and now I have to live up to it. Anyway, I know I'll enjoy seeing my two grand daughters a lot.

I hope to buy for under $350k but might go a tiny bit higher. I certainly can't afford Brentwood nor would I dream of living right in all that urban mess so I'm looking for something small and quaint, fairly close, kind of empty and beautiful. A small town near Brentwood. All the people, buildings, traffic and NOISE are things I'm dreading. I live in such a quiet and beautiful and wide opened area.

But I believe I can be happy if I have a beautiful landscape to look at: green, trees, hills. I have to have privacy and near water would be very nice. I do think it's beautiful in that part of Tennessee. I worry that all the population and all that goes with it will sink my spirit. But a big quiet front porch with something pretty to look at each day and a place for a little gardening might be fine for me. Though a Tennessee vista would not be the same as a Colorado vista, I'm counting on a positive attitude to help me gracefully accept the change.

Socially, I'm kind of a loner and seems like a woman friend or two usually shows up. I don't go to church and am not religious, and am actually a little alternative, but as long as no one's asking me or pushing theirs, that's no problem for me. I'm not a conservative but not a liberal either. Ha, I call myself an Independent Centrist. But since I won't talk politics or religion with anyone anyway, that probably isn't important either.

I'd like to be within an hour of the kids ideally but may have to go further to avoid the crowd. Rural is nice but not if it's an hour from any grocery store or other little businesses. I'm a big Local supporter of little businesses. Outskirts of a small town could work.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions for me? I'd so appreciate hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 04:32 PM

159 posts, read 333,164 times
My husband & I are your age. We moved to Columbia (actually Maury Co.) 11 years ago. It's affordable for you. Hospital is aligned with Vanderbilt. We have excellent doctors, dentists, ets. The best advice anyone can give you is to come visit and take a look at the communities around. Our son moved to Mt. Pleasant last year. That is a little farther from Brentwood, but more rural.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:00 AM

67 posts, read 109,346 times
Thanks for the reply sfitz. I noticed Columbia on the map last night...and I should look at Mt. Pleasant. I will come and look. I'll have to, but I haven't figured out the logistics to that either. I hope to do a lot of research the next year or two so I'll have some areas to look at. Have to narrow it down some. My son said he's going to take some time to drive around some small towns near them to "feel the vibe". I'm curious to see what he says.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 PM

159 posts, read 333,164 times
Good luck. Just take your time and you'll find what you're looking for. It took us over 2 years and we made a lot of trips here before we found the perfect place.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Sorry you have to leave your paradise. Sounds very nice. But I think you'll find smaller towns within 30 mins of Franklin to be attractive in their non-Rockies way.

Some places to look at:
Spring Hill, between Columbia and Franklin, but very suburban and quite crowded
Columbia, close to Franklin medical services
Fairview, fairly close to Franklin medical
Western Rutherford County, rural but right between Franklin and Murfreesboro medical services
Nolensville, like Western Rutherford but becoming expensive fast
Thompsons Station, Leipers Fork and Arrington, same as above and probably not your best bang for your buck

A bit farther out and farther from the best medical facilities:
Dickson, farthest from Franklin, but about 30 mins to St. Thomas Medical Center (west Nashville) via I-40
Mount Pleasant, small town west of Columbia
Smyrna, suburban and crowded
Chapel Hill (I wouldn't go much farther away from Franklin in Marshall County)

Old 01-11-2021, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 24,535 times
If you are willing to live in a townhouse, there are some in Brentwood in your price range. Mooreland Estates off of Moores Lane has many people in your age range that are pretty friendly. Certain parts of it have beautiful landscaping and the older residence even help with gardening around some areas. Another option is Brentwood Pointe which is also off of Moores Lane. I have seen 2/3 Bedrooms go between $284K-350K. Both options are close to several shopping areas, the mall, and healthcare but tucked away and feel like they are outside the big city.

I know you said that a smaller town might work better but I just wanted to mention these since they are closer to your kids.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:49 PM

14 posts, read 24,535 times
I also forgot to mention that Mooreland Estates does have a pond and some of the townhomes are on top of a decently high hill with views of the city of Franklin.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:16 AM

32 posts, read 35,290 times
We live in Spring Hill for three years and love it so much. Although Spring Hill is getting more development, you can still find a quiet place for yourself. Of cos' there is no big mountain in your backyard. We live on Kedron Road and Port Royal Road, so a little away from the busy shops and restaurants but still close to access when you need to.

Houses have been sold fast and the prices are getting higher. You may need to adjust your budget when you move in the next 2 years. But yes, come to visit and get a feel where you will love to live.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 27,117 times
You are describing certain areas of Columbia, at least on the northern side which would be about 30min from Franklin. Possibly Spring Hill but it's about to get a lot busier with June Lake development going in.

Nolensville to the east can feel quiet and beautiful and not too congested.

Both these areas have beautiful rolling roads/hills and farms scattered all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville