Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,225 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'm 30 y/o women from middle Europe and I'm seriously thinking about moving to USA. My life here in EU is pretty good but I'm feeling kind of restless and want to try someting completley new and I think now is the perfect time for that. I didnt have any specific city in mind for some time and then somehow I came across Nashville and it seems like a perfect fit for me (however, only by reading about it). I would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions and give me a better perspective about it to so I can see if it would even be possible for me to make this big move.
First of all, jobs - is it difficult for someone coming from another continent but speaks pretty good english to get a job there? what about salaries? what would be considered an okay salary for a single person? what are best jobs to look for for foreigners with pretty good education and also, any agencies/fb pages where you can look for jobs?
rents - is it better to look for roomates or studio apartments?
Most important question - how much capital would you need for the first month of living there (assuming that you will start working as soon as you get there)?
also, if you have any other advice/suggestion/experience about moving to Nashville from Europe, please write it down!!
Just to give some info about me:
I have masters in History and few published works. I'm now at point where I have to make decision wether to do postgraduate or try something else. I have also quite experience with working with children and also working as a content writer. I'm writing this just to give you a little bit of insight into my work experince and how it could help me there.
Last question, do you have any suggestion about any online communities, forums or other online platforms that could help me?

Thank you very much, hope you'll help me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 03:44 PM

155 posts, read 127,417 times
First of all, jobs - is it difficult for someone coming from another continent but speaks pretty good English to get a job there?

Getting a job shouldn't be a problem. Nashville's economy is fairly diverse so you should have no issues here.

what about salaries?

Sadly, the salaries for the Nashville is a bit behind in comparison to the home prices, but you should be able find a decent job paying around 50-70k annually, depending on your career path.

what would be considered an okay salary for a single person?

I would say around 60k+, maybe 50K if you can control your spending. However, this is only if you're renting versus buying a home. Home prices are a bit skewed currently. The cost of home prices are soaring across the nation and internationally. Everyone is saying there might be another recession that may lower home prices, but Nashville's home prices are still a bit high.

what are best jobs to look for for foreigners with pretty good education and also, any agencies/fb pages where you can look for jobs?

Depending on your career path, but linkedin or indeed is good enough. You can also check out the Nashville sub reddit.

rents - is it better to look for roomates or studio apartments?

Preferably roommates, however there are 500-700 sq ft studio/1 BR condos going for around 200k. If you're looking for a permanent home or an investment property.

Most important question - how much capital would you need for the first month of living there (assuming that you will start working as soon as you get there)?

If you have around 10k+ saved up you should be okay and on the lower end probably around 5K.

also, if you have any other advice/suggestion/experience about moving to Nashville from Europe, please write it down!!
Just to give some info about me:
I have masters in History and few published works. I'm now at point where I have to make decision weather to do postgraduate or try something else. I have also quite experience with working with children and also working as a content writer. I'm writing this just to give you a little bit of insight into my work experience and how it could help me there.
Last question, do you have any suggestion about any online communities, forums or other online platforms that could help me?

Nashville has a plethora of colleges and universities, so you'll have no issues continuing your education. Nashville has a nationally top 15 university called Vanderbilt, but Belmont, Fisk, and Lipscomb are still good choices. The Nashville sub reddit is probably the best for more information.

Old 09-02-2022, 03:40 AM

Thank you very much for your response, it was helpful!
At this moment my plan is to just try out Nashville for maybe one year and try to find any kind of job that would get me through the year so I'm ready to work anything that comes my way. Also, I'd have no problem to rent a flat with a roomate. I'm not thinking about buying a home there at this point since I'm not even sure for how long I would stay there. I'm looking at it more as a prolonged trip
I'll try to look at linkedin and indeed for jobs.
The only problem for now is that I don't have enough money at this point if 5-10k is neccessary for starting a life there but I think I could have it by some time next year.
Regarding my education, I think I was liitle bit unclear about it, I'm not interested in continuing my education there but I just wrote down what are my skills and to give you some info about my work experiences here in Europe. But thank you nevertheless!

Old 09-02-2022, 04:04 AM

Like I wrote to Zedd90, my plan isn't to continue my education in Nashville, nor to choose writing as my career there as I am doing it here in Europe. since obviously english is not my first language. I wrote down what is my work experince here in Europe and what education I have just to give you some insight into my life here and what I have been doing for the last couple of years. But in USA I think I would be more appropriate for doing some jobs that don't require high education. I think I could do babysitting, work with elder people or other people-care related jobs not because I'm not willing to do other jobs, I just think that at this point I'm not skilled enough for them, simply beacuse I'm not american and have never even visited it. And of course, my english is not on the hghest level but I'm more than willing to work on it thanks for the reply!

Old 09-02-2022, 06:27 AM

337 posts, read 448,597 times
is it difficult for someone coming from another continent but speaks pretty good english to get a job there? what about salaries?

I believe jobs are plentiful in the middle Tennessee area. You don't have to be in Nashville, can go to the outskirts such as I am in Murfreesboro. I truly believe you could be comfortable on 70,000$ a year but doable on 50,000$.

rents - is it better to look for roommates or studio apartments? Roommates are tough as far as trust. You are hoping they are kind and respectful. You hope they keep their areas clean and you hope they pay their part of the rent and utilities. I would not blindly accept a roommate without a lot of due diligence.

They always say to have 3-6 months worth of living expenses when you are making job/relocations in life. Maybe 5-6,000$ per month?

History jobs: This area is plentiful of historical sites with tour guides. My niece works as a lead historical interpreter at the Belmont Mansion. I have not asked her about salary, but she does fine and rents a small house. Doesn't seem to go without. Could ask some of your questions to her about that. She also did The Andrew Jackson Plantation/Museum for a couple of years. Dm me if you have more questions that would require response answers from my niece.

Best of luck... Unsure what country you would be traveling from. My best friend neighbor came over from England about 8 years back and has flourished.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:48 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
OP, just curious - did you win a green card lottery? It sounds like you have or will have the legal documentation (green card) to work in the USA, which is not very easy for most EU citizens to obtain if they have never lived, worked or studied in the USA or are not married to a US citizen / permanent resident.

Your history degree is marginally useful to obtain work in the USA. I can't think of many jobs outside academia that would look for someone with a history degree. However, it demonstrates that you have the ability to learn and the academic discipline to complete a masters degree program. That is worth something in the job market.

Most rentals in the USA will require you to have an income source before they will give you a lease agreement (just like in most countries in Europe). Even if you have a big amount of money saved, they want to see you have steady and secure income. Do not go to the USA with $10K or less in savings. The high cost of housing, especially short term temporary housing that will be needed upon your immediate arrival, will blow through that amount of money fast.

When looking for a place to live, be prepared to be disappointed with the apartments on the low end of the rental price scale. Nashville is one of the faster growing metros in the USA, meaning a lot of competition to rent apartments, flats or homes. Prices will be higher as a result for the places in a good location that are clean, safe, relatively quiet and nice.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:05 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
You might look on Craigslist for rooms for rent. There are a lot of people renting out rooms in their homes with the use of the common areas as well. Rents range from 600 to 1200 a month. Most are legitimate however beware there are a few men "renting" rooms that are really looking for a girlfriend.

If you decide to go this route you would probably want to stay at an extended-stay hotel for a week or two to check out your options. NEVER SEND ANYONE MONEY FOR A RENTAL until you have verified it is legitimate.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/search/roo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville