Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:10 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times

Advertisements

Nashville has elected councilman Freddie O'Connell as the next mayor of the city.

He was a councilman that represented Nashville's downtown district.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news...-of-nashville/

Freddie O'Connell will replace current Mayor John Cooper, who announced he is not running for another term.

At just 46, he is a very young mayoral winning candidate and is progressive.

He and his family often ride the bus, and you can expect that O'Connell will be advocating loudly for a push to get Nashville to fund a rapid rail system.

This is exciting for the city of Nashville and he could lead Nashville into the next expansion phase of its fast growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 11:24 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Nashville has elected councilman Freddie O'Connell as the next mayor of the city.

He was a councilman that represented Nashville's downtown district.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news...-of-nashville/

Freddie O'Connell will replace current Mayor John Cooper, who announced he is not running for another term.

At just 46, he is a very young mayoral winning candidate and is progressive.

He and his family often ride the bus, and you can expect that O'Connell will be advocating loudly for a push to get Nashville to fund a rapid rail system.

This is exciting for the city of Nashville and he could lead Nashville into the next expansion phase of its fast growth.
This is Great news and i can see the passion he has for the City!!! In order to make a meaningful transit system work with results, he will have to have meetings with some regional suburban city/county mayors especially with Rutherford County, which I-24 on the southeast side is ground zero for congestion in the Nashville Metro area. Meeting with Joe Carr, Rutherford county mayor /Shane Mc Farland Murfreesboro Mayor and expressing how important a County wide bus system with connections to WeGo is imperative. The current lay out and Bus system in Murfreesboro is obsolete. If he can get Davidson county Bus system restructured, add about 150 more bus shelters for protection from the elements, get WeGo Star Frequency up throughout the day, not just for Morning and Evening commutes. Actually get through to regional partners that the only way this Transit piece works is we work together, especially Rutherford County. Rutherford County needs a Transit system with mid size to full size buses, at least the size of Clarksville's system. At least 30 real full sized City Buses that run and connect all of Rutherford county / Murfreesboro, Smyrna, La Vergne, etc. and to southeast Davidson County / Antioch future transit hub. To start at least 100 Bus shelters with benches throughout Rutherford county will be needed for protection from the elements. Even this could be a major success, with Bus Rapid Transit expanded through out Davidson on Major Corridors. The rapid transit piece can be phased in overtime. He needs to start talking to Rutherford County ASAP to make the transit piece work like it should.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Very very pleased with this. Freddie was my council rep and he personally helped me out with a property issue. I think he'll do great. As a start - he sat down with Steve Smith and they hashed out their differences.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/...c762f4c74.html

Old 09-15-2023, 12:03 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
That's what you get for me and other people trying to herd all of the fleeing progs from the Northeast and west coast to Nashville when they say they want to move to Tennessee. Can't get them to go to Memphis. You'll be sorry.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:01 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
FYI, Nashville has always been a Blue / Progressive city, really!!! Not at all Surprised by the win

Old 09-15-2023, 07:44 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
FYI, Nashville has always been a Blue / Progressive city, really!!! Not at all Surprised by the win
Let's hope it stays that way.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:30 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's what you get for me and other people trying to herd all of the fleeing progs from the Northeast and west coast to Nashville when they say they want to move to Tennessee. Can't get them to go to Memphis. You'll be sorry.
What is it exactly that you do to “herd” transplants to Nashville? Create well-paying jobs there? Build hospitals and universities? Establish exciting food and entertainment venues? If that has been you…we’ll done!

Old 09-16-2023, 06:56 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What exactly will we be sorry about? I’m really sorry that I have a very good job that pays me very well and a house in the urban core, and a plethora of great restaurants to go eat at and tons of live music venues to enjoy, and four professional sports teams to cheer for, and multiple colleges and universities with all of their cultural activities and educated people. Yes, I’m sorry every day.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
What is it exactly that you do to “herd” transplants to Nashville? Create well-paying jobs there? Build hospitals and universities? Establish exciting food and entertainment venues? If that has been you…we’ll done!
Of course, I meant to post "well done" and not "we'll done".....

Old 09-19-2023, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 7,136 times
Judging by the daily chaos we see in other cities run by “progressive” mayors, we can probably expect similar dysfunction to take over Nashville, which looks to be on the path to joining other “progressive utopias” such as Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. The police will be ordered to refrain from enforcing the law in the name of “equity”, retailers will be shoplifted out of business and tent cities and open-air drug dens will soon dot the landscape along Broadway. Nashville is sadly on its way to becoming another Memphis. The locusts who have infiltrated Tennessee (particularly Nashville) from other high-tax, high-crime jurisdictions around the country want to change Tennessee into the failed, “progressive” hellholes from which they fled. The best we can hope for is that the increased crime will be contained within Nashville and won’t spread beyond the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville