Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 92,193 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of a reputable company to buy and install granite counter tops? I have a small kitchen that I absolutely detest and changing out the counter tops may be the only thing I can do to make it tolerable. I don't have the $$ to change out the cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 PM

187 posts, read 623,474 times
there is the company called Granite Transformations which actually covers your current counters with granite. Less expensive but wonderful effect if on a budget.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 AM

85 posts, read 418,573 times
Definitely shop around. I had one company give me an estimate. When they called to check on what we'd decided, I said we had a lower estimate from another company and they said they would match it.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 69,047 times
I just got mine done for $49.99 per sq ft ! The only extras were the ogee around the island ($190) and the 2 sink cut outs ($200).

Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM

20 posts, read 71,622 times
Before they put in the countertops make sure your cabinets are strong enough to hold them up. Most are, but some of the basic cabinets have been known to buckle under the weight of the stone. There are lots of things to do to a kitchen on a budget. Change out the hardware. Paint the cabinets. There are many new laminate kitchen countertop designs that have designs similar to granite for a fraction of the cost - small fraction. New faucet. New deep sink. Maybe a backsplash. Will granite add enough for you to be satisfied? Do other houses in your neighborhood have granite? Are you "overupgrading" Good luck!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM

85 posts, read 285,097 times
I love to watch the design shows on HGTV and believe it or not they are actually saying that granite is considered "outdated" in some areas of the country. They said that so many homes have granite and it is no longer considered a symbol of being "upscale". Having "green" countertops is the latest thing and you do that by using recycled glass or concrete. No matter what you put in your kitchen it will probably be outdated in 5 years, so the main thing is to put in something you like!

Old 12-07-2008, 04:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnTN View Post
I love to watch the design shows on HGTV and believe it or not they are actually saying that granite is considered "outdated" in some areas of the country. They said that so many homes have granite and it is no longer considered a symbol of being "upscale". Having "green" countertops is the latest thing and you do that by using recycled glass or concrete. No matter what you put in your kitchen it will probably be outdated in 5 years, so the main thing is to put in something you like!
I say get what you like if you are going to be staying there a while. With sooooo many people having granite I doubt there will be a rush to change it out anytime soon. I love the sleek look of granite. Sorry I don't know of any vendors in Nashville. I have a great one in Knoxville.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Definately call around for estimates. You will find a great difference.
Also might check out granite transformations, they have great tops and it is light weight.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM

85 posts, read 285,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I say get what you like if you are going to be staying there a while. With sooooo many people having granite I doubt there will be a rush to change it out anytime soon. I love the sleek look of granite. Sorry I don't know of any vendors in Nashville. I have a great one in Knoxville.
I was just making a note of what is the latest trend, I was not telling anyone to eliminate the granite choice. I believe my last line of the post you quoted from me, told them to get what they want.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovnTN View Post
I was just making a note of what is the latest trend, I was not telling anyone to eliminate the granite choice. I believe my last line of the post you quoted from me, told them to get what they want.
Uh huh, I was backing you up on your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: