Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 PM

162 posts, read 550,826 times

Advertisements

East Nashville sounds great - can't miss from what you have posted. What does everyone think about historic richland for them as well?
Moderator cut: link not allowed

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-08-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 AM

30 posts, read 72,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It was brought to my attention, that I missed the fact that KimP is a realtor just trying to make a sale.
Ok, Steve. I am not "Just trying to make a sale". I sell all over middle TN.
I am just being honest with the OP. I thought this was a place for opinions. No need to get ugly.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
On topic please. It would not be fair to the OP to have to close their thread due to others arguments.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music City USA - KimP View Post
Ok, Steve. I am not "Just trying to make a sale". I sell all over middle TN.
I am just being honest with the OP. I thought this was a place for opinions. No need to get ugly.
It is, Kim, and all are welcome. I apologize if my earlier statement gave the impression that your comments were any less valid just because you're an agent.

You're an excellent resource!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
We're progressives that enjoy Franklin a great deal. When I read the OP's post I thought Franklin would be a good choice. Like I said, we're pretty liberal and do not spend our days in anguish over living in a mostly conservative area. I don't know if Westhaven is like other TND's but if it is, you might not like having so many restrictions on your home.

We belong to Franklin Athletic Club and it offers much of what you say you'd like in a gym.

I think Franklin has something for everyone. We haven't bought a house but we like the options. If a subdivision is for you, there's plenty of that...but you can drive a couple miles out of town and have acreage and privacy.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 AM

30 posts, read 72,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
We're progressives that enjoy Franklin a great deal. When I read the OP's post I thought Franklin would be a good choice. Like I said, we're pretty liberal and do not spend our days in anguish over living in a mostly conservative area. I don't know if Westhaven is like other TND's but if it is, you might not like having so many restrictions on your home.

We belong to Franklin Athletic Club and it offers much of what you say you'd like in a gym.

I think Franklin has something for everyone. We haven't bought a house but we like the options. If a subdivision is for you, there's plenty of that...but you can drive a couple miles out of town and have acreage and privacy.
Trunky, you might be right about the restrictions in Westhaven. It's still a beautiful community.

In addition to Franklin Athletic Club, which is a wonderful gym, there are at least 3 YMCA's in this area. I like going to the classes.

Kim

Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tal1412 View Post
My wife and I will be retiring within the next couple of years. We both work for the postal service. I am 54 and she is 53. We currently reside in a close in suburb of Chicago (Forest Park, IL). We like our current home and its location, which is only 10 miles from downtown Chicago. Our current home is brand new and on a small city lot, 25’ wide by 125’ deep. We do not like the Chicago winters, so we are considering a move to a warmer climate. We have done numerous on line searches and based upon things our likes and dislikes, four cities keep popping up as possible place for us to move to: Louisville KY; Lexington KY Nashville TN and Chattanooga TN.

Here’s what we’re looking for:
HOUSING: Need a single family house. We like Craftsman, Arts& Crafts and bungalow styles. Need around 2000 sq ft. We would prefer a newer house, a recently rehabbed house or one that is a wreck that we can demolish and built new. Must have large open, upscale kitchen. Energy efficient and low maintenance features are things we must have. Need 2 ½ car garage. A lot of approx 50’ x 125’ would be great. Would like to stay in the $300K to $350K price range. Would pay up to $400k for the right place in the right neighborhood.

NEIGHBORHOOD: We would prefer an established neighborhood with older homes, new homes and rehabbed homes with tree lined streets. Not interested in new subdivisions with no character. We like sitting on the front porch and saying hi to the neighbors as they walk by. Close to the central city would be nice, or even in the city in he right neighborhood. Having the big box stores like Home Depot, Target, etc nearby is also on the list. We like good quality healthy food and we eat at home most of the time. Whole Foods or equivalent is a must. We will be retired, so commute time is not a big issue. We have no kids, so schools are not important. Our current town’s motto is “Big city access, small town charm”. Hoping to duplicate that in our new home.

ABOUT US: We’re both liberal Democrats. Neither of us is religious. We like outdoor activities like hiking and biking. We also enjoy riding our HD motorcycle. Since we both workout almost every day, having a good quality health club (with a variety of classes) nearby is a must. We enjoy authentic ethnic food. Need a Mexican, Thai, and Italian restaurant nearby. Also enjoy great seafood. Love to eat at neighborhood “joints’ with good quality food. We would also like to be able to go to an upscale place to eat on special occasions. We like to travel, so being near a major airport is also important. Having a good quality medical facility within easy reach is also important.

We are planning a trip to Nashville in September to explore our options and to see if we “like” the city. We would really appreciate any feedback regarding neighborhoods/suburbs that we should explore. We will probably stay in a condo so that we can get more of a feel for the area. Any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom
Since you mentioned you've been retiring , I have a couple of questions for you, Williamson County is geared more for families and the school districts, the property tax rate in certain areas of Franklin or a bit higher due to special school districts.

Williamson County atleast outside of Franklin SSD , has reasonable property taxes about about 2/3 of 1% of market value, thus a $300,000 house would have a tax bill of about 2k.

In Nashville the taxes are about 1% of market value or double Williamson County, however the homes in certain parts of Williamson as I mentioned are expensive such as 400-500k homes, these are still recently rates as for the most part Tennessee doesn't tax your income but check with your tax adviser for any retirement dividend and interest income tax liabilties and be aware that Tennessee has an inheritance tax (10% over $1 million dollars) in case you have children (not sure of your circumstances but giving advice just in case).

I recommend you stay close to Nashville, some parts of Williamson County such as Spring Hill extend into Maury county which is farther out and isn't considered part of the Nashville metro area, the taxes in Maury county are a bit higher too than Williamson, so be aware of that if you want to find an affordable place in Williamson.

Nashville I read is becoming more diverse but is not as diverse as other major cities, having said that out of your other 4 cities, Nashville is probably the best bet, diversity has been increasing and you'll find it quite diverse then say 15-20 years ago.

There is a trader joe's and and a whole foods in the Nashville area, as for new subdivisions that have character and tree lined streets where you can say high on the porch, well you have to take a look around.

The further you go from the Nashville , usually lot sizes can get very big, and homes further spaced apart, so it you choose not to purchase in a subdivision where the homes may be closer together you may not get that same neighborhood feel, it depends on how the homes are laid out,

as for trees, there are plenty of areas in Tennessee that have large lots and the like so you'll probably find tree lined streets since it has a lot of land and space to build homes.

I think you should explore yourself both the city center, areas on the fringes of nashville, Williamson County, and see what you think, have you thought of any other cities besides those 4?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Sounds like he wants a place in the East Nashville neighborhoods. You're most likely to find any/all of the possibilities you're looking for. There are new homes, but it's mostly pre-war homes and lots of rehab. Check Eastland Ave. and radiate out from there. Also, you may like the 12South area of Nashville... it's close to Belmont University and has lots of older, mixed style homes.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 PM

22 posts, read 46,522 times
I too agree with Kim. Franklin is a wonderful place to live. I moved here with my family 9 years ago from N.Y. and I wouldn't have it any other way. FYI - I never talk politics with clients or friends. It just never works out right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville