Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM

17 posts, read 29,197 times

Advertisements

Okay it's been a long time but hoping this time I can get some help....My husband and I currently live in Indianapolis, IN. have been a resident for the last 10 years and have never left the state of Indiana.

Before the end of the year we'd LOVE to make a final exodus from Indy....long story short we are READY TO MOVE....we visit Nashville all the time....our last visit was for an award show, we love the people, weather, everything about the city is great.....BUT the only problem we cannot find a job.

Right now I work for an insurance company and my spouse works for a judge as a baliff....We've applied for dozens of jobs online through careerbuilder and other job online sites but havent gotten a call back.

We'd like to be moved by Sept of this year.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any suggestions for jobs or where to really apply please let us know. We do not have any kids but we are just ready to leave this city....

ANY suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 PM

63 posts, read 170,728 times
I've heard from some people that it can be difficult to find jobs in Nashville until you actually move there, which is a little disconcerting.... this isn't true for every job, of course, especially if you work in the medical field or in academia or with one of Nashville's major manufacturing companies, but it is something I've heard...

Would be interested in hearing from others if that is true... I don't know how a family with kids or even without could move to Nashville without a job already lined up!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post
I've heard from some people that it can be difficult to find jobs in Nashville until you actually move there, which is a little disconcerting.... this isn't true for every job, of course, especially if you work in the medical field or in academia or with one of Nashville's major manufacturing companies, but it is something I've heard...

Would be interested in hearing from others if that is true... I don't know how a family with kids or even without could move to Nashville without a job already lined up!

#1. Why would you want to move to a new city without a job already lined up? That's pretty risky, especially in this economic climate.

#2. Why would an employer want to hire someone from out of town unless it's a very specialized position? That's risky too. Most companies don't want to waste the time and money on a candidate that may back out of the move or have other issues come up...especially when there are likely a lot of locals applying.

I don't think this is a Nashville issue. It's a product of the new economic times.
Just keep searching and maybe try to relocate through your current insurance company. Put your strong intent/determination to move in your cover letter.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
I heard Jackson (I can't remember the rest of the name but it was a huge relocation to Franklin) is upping its hiring.

If possible take your address off your resume. Alternatively, if you have friends here in town use their address.

I work in recruiting. It is hard to move people here for less technical/skill/knowledge based positions, especially if you don't have strong ties. I can't count the number of times a potential candidate has told me they want to relocate to Nashville because they like country music. Thinks of a strong compelling reason that indicates you've done your research.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I heard Jackson (I can't remember the rest of the name but it was a huge relocation to Franklin) is upping its hiring.
Jackson National Life Insurance Company. I think their office is in Cool Springs near Nissan. Good company from what I understand.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canweb30 View Post
Okay it's been a long time but hoping this time I can get some help....My husband and I currently live in Indianapolis, IN. have been a resident for the last 10 years and have never left the state of Indiana.

Before the end of the year we'd LOVE to make a final exodus from Indy....long story short we are READY TO MOVE....we visit Nashville all the time....our last visit was for an award show, we love the people, weather, everything about the city is great.....BUT the only problem we cannot find a job.

Right now I work for an insurance company and my spouse works for a judge as a baliff....We've applied for dozens of jobs online through careerbuilder and other job online sites but havent gotten a call back.

We'd like to be moved by Sept of this year.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone has any suggestions for jobs or where to really apply please let us know. We do not have any kids but we are just ready to leave this city....

ANY suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you transfer to an office in or around Nashville with your insurance company? As far as the bailiff goes, law enforcement can be tricky to get into. Perhpas try a Security Company. Not the best choice for your husband's qualifitcations but temporarily it may get you through until he can find something closer to what he does now.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
What kind of insurance?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM

I currently work as a licensed P&C agent customer service. I've searched for jobs in and around the Nashville area but they are completely sales rep jobs where my salary is all commission based and THAT is too risky..right now I have comfortable base salary with benefits, vacation, 401 (K), etc and I am willing to even take a pay cut to move But I really want to be leaving Indianapolis by this fall God willing.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post

TRUST me..Im not crazy...I would not be moving ANYWHERE without a letter or acceptance for a job and I know exactly the date and time I start the job...I have some friends that drove all the way from Indy to LA, California and moved there with only the second interview lined up and didnt get the job and had to come back...too stressful and to embarassing...so right now Im on the hunt for jobs...and the current job market I know that it's hard to move to another city let alone another state when there are people in the same city competing..BUT I know it's possible...I very hopeful we can find something by the fall of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: